Associate Professor Yun-Hee Jeon
RN, PhD MNRes BHSc(Nursing) UoN, MHN
M02A - 88 Mallett Street - Building A
The University of Sydney
|Telephone||+61 2 9351 0674|
|Fax||+61 2 9351 0679|
Yun-Hee Jeon is committed to promoting and supporting research concerned with prevention and management of chronic illness (PMCI) within the primary health care context. Her aim is to develop and consolidate evidence in PMCI and inform practice and policy for people affected by chronic illness. She has experience in clinical practice as a registered nurse and teaching in Korea and Australia. Yun-Hee also holds credentials as a mental health nurse. She has been involved in local and international collaborative research projects in the aged care/mental health nursing areas, and has received various national competitive grants.
Yun-Hee is a member of the nursing care node for the Primary Dementia Collaborative Research Centre and serves on its Advisory Committee. She has been an active member of the Research Board of the Australian College of Mental Health Nurses Inc. She was awarded a Master of Nursing in 1995 (The lived experience of caring for a family member with chronic mental illness: A phenomenological study) and PhD in 2002 (Shaping mutuality: A grounded theory study of community psychiatric nurses? work with family caregivers of older people with depression), from the University of Newcastle.
- Leadership and management in aged care
- Aged care workforce
- Dementia care
- Person centred care
- Older people's mental health
- Family caregiving
- Chronic illness
- Primary health care
Areas of methodological expertise
Health service research
Teaching and supervision
15 years of experience in tertiary teaching in Korea and Australia in the areas of nursing research, research methods (qualitative research, systematic reviews) and clinical areas
Currently supervise four students: 2 PhD, 1 Master of Philosophy (Nursing), And 1 BN(HON)
- Unit coordinator -- Reading Topic (CLIN5021
- Teaching Team -- Research in Nursing and Health Care (NURS5069), Research in Nursing (FCHN3013) and Inquiry and Research in Nursing (SNGP3007),Inquiry and Research in Nursing (NURS6008)
- Regular guest lectures -- Mental Health Nursing A (NURS5063), Mental Health Options (NURS6025), Foundations of Clinical Trials (NURS5066), Measurement and Analysis in Clinical Trials (NURS5067), BN Health Research (NURS1007)
*Led by Yun-Hee
- 2012--2013 *Assessment of DEpression for QUAlIty CarE Study (ADEQUACIES).
- 2012--2014 The Lifestyle Engagement and Activity Program (LEAP) development and pilot.
- 2012--2013 Tailored activities to reduce challenging behaviours in persons with dementia living at home(TAP)
- 2012--2013 First level construction of the person-centred iHome
- 2013 *Evaluation ofPrimary Health Care Education Resources in Murrumbidgee Local Health District (Primary Health Care: Principles for Practice)
- 2013 *Building an international, interdisciplinary research program for quality indicators in dementia care
- 2011--2012 Carer coaching program for families living with dementia
- 2010--2013 *Optimising the residential and community aged care workforce: the evidence-based development of clinical leadership in middle managers in aged care
Awards and honours
2009 International Research Promotion Council World Scientists Forum International Award "Eminent Scientist of the Year 2008" in the field of 'Nursing Care and Mental Health Research' from Australia
2005 Nurses and Midwives Board of New South Wales, Research and Development Scholarships Category 4, Paper presentation and conference attendance at the 12th Congress of the International Psychogeriatric Association (IPA), Stockholm, Sweden
- 2006 to present: Primary Dementia Collaborative Research Centre Advisory Committee
- 2003 to present: Board/committee member: Research Board/Committee of Australian College of Mental Health Nurses Inc.
- Editorial Board: BMC Health Service Research (Associate Editor)
Review of manuscripts
- International Journal of Nursing Studies
- Journal of Clinical Nursing
- BMC Health Service Research
- Health & Social Care in the Community
Other research and consulting activities
2010--2011, "Primary Health Care Education Package Development" (Primary Health Care: Principles for Practice) NSW Health Murrumbidgee Local Health District Project team: Jeon Y-H, McKenzie H, Powell-Davies G, Chiarella M, Conway J, Driscoll P, Grootjans J, Hayes L & Selden S.
2006--2011 "The Serious and Continuing Illness Policy and Practice Study (SCIPPS)" NHMRC
Chief Investigators: Leeder SR (University of Sydney), Gillespie J (University of Sydney), Colagiuri R (University of Sydney), Glasgow N (ANU), Jan S (University of Sydney), Wells R (ANU), Whitworth J (ANU)
Note: as a research program team member leading qualitative research 2006--2009
Primary health care; Chronic disease; Dementia; Gerontologic care; Workforce
- Building an international, interdisciplinary research program for quality indicators in dementia care; Jeon Y, Vernooij-Dassen M; DVC International/IPDF Grant.
- Program evaluation of Osteoarthritis Awareness hub; Hunter D, Bennell K, Fransen M, Jeon Y, Jones G, Salkeld G; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Discovery Projects (DP).
- Tailored activities to reduce challenging behaviours in persons with dementia living at home: the TAP trial; Clemson L, Gitlin L, Pizzi L, Mioshi E, Jeon Y; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Dementia Research Grant.
- PDCRC-NC3: Assessment of Depression for Quality Care Study (Adequacies); Jeon Y; Department of Health and Ageing (Federal)/Targeted Prevention Programs.
- Optimising the residential and community aged care workforce: The evidence-based development of clinical leadership in middle managers in aged care; Jeon Y, Kendig H, Simpson J, Chenoweth L; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Linkage Projects (LP).
- Examining the utility of the Aged Care Funding Instrument (ACFI) as a vehicle for improving staff skills and knowledge in care planning and management of behavioural and psychological symptoms of dementia (BPSD).; Jeon Y; Department of Health and Ageing (Federal)/Targeted Prevention Programs.
- Statistical Consideration of the Client Perception of Value (CPV) Project; Jeon Y; Baptist Community Services – NSW & ACT/Research Grant.