Master of Emergency Nursing
Take your career to the next level: specialise in emergency nursing at Sydney Nursing School.
This program provides registered nurses with the skills and attributes necessary to provide sophisticated, acute and complex care to patients facing life-threatening conditions. It is designed for nurses who already have some experience of the emergency care environment.
You will critically explore models of care, as well as complexities and uncertainties in contemporary practice. You will learn how to use evidence to inform your clinical decisions and will develop an advanced capacity for clinical judgement, helping you to move towards a leadership role in emergency nursing.
What impact can I have as an emergency nurse?
Emergency nurses require the skills to triage care, facilitate appropriate patient review, anticipate deterioration and instigate prompt nursing interventions in what is often a busy and stressful environment. Emergency nurses must be able to act and communicate effectively in a dynamic multidisciplinary team.
Emergency nurses work closely with patients and families who may be confronted by sudden accident or illness. It is the emergency nurse’s role to help the patient and family make sense of their emergency admission and either support their entrance to the hospital system or assist in their acute management and safe discharge.
Why study at Sydney Nursing School?
- Build the professional practice capabilities needed for leadership in emergency nursing.
- Further develop your research skills, enabling you to make evidence-based decisions, giving you the option to choose a research pathway to a PhD at Sydney Nursing School.
- Enhance your specialty knowledge, clinical expertise and therapeutic skills, immediately applying what you learn in class to your professional practice.
- Join our global community of influential students, staff and alumni, building your professional network as you study alongside academics and peers from the emergency nursing community.
- Choose how to fit study into your life with full-time and part-time options, as well as self-paced online study for some components of the program.
How will I learn?
Study over 18 months full-time, or two and a half years part-time. This program is delivered via:
- Flexible, self-paced online study, allowing you to fit study around other commitments.
- Face-to-face study days for each unit. These sessions offer students real-time support from lecturers and clinical experts, providing the opportunity to share experiences in a small class of peers.
What will I study?
Sydney Nursing School’s Emergency Nursing program is intended to support registered nurses working in emergency areas to become clinical leaders. We do this by providing a rationale for contemporary clinical care and by developing the nurse’s ability to source, critique and apply relevant evidence to the emergency care setting. This sets up a framework for lifelong learning and a critical approach to practice.
This program ends in a capstone project, offering you the choice to complete either a work-based project examining a current and professionally relevant clinical issue, or undertake a research project, giving you the opportunity to explore in depth an area that you feel passionate about. This may also provide a pathway to a PhD at Sydney Nursing School.
Study units include:
- Assessment and clinical judgment
- Foundations of clinical practice
- The complexity of critical illness and injury
- Emergency nursing practice
- Research in nursing and healthcare
- Expanding practice in the ED and ICU
- Then choose two of three electives from;
- Creating a culture of safety and quality
- Contemporary healthcare leadership
- Simulation-based learning in health
- Capstone experience
Pathways to the Master’s
Our Emergency Nursing programs are offered at master’s, graduate diploma graduate certificate levels. The latter two are embedded within the master’s degree, meaning you can choose to study the program over a duration which suits you best.
- Read detailed unit of study descriptions
- Find out which units you can study at master’s, graduate diploma graduate certificate level, as well as the full-time and part-time options
- Plan your study now!Find out when face-to-face study days are held for each unit of study.