Master of Advanced Nursing Practice
Take your career to the next level with a Master of Advanced Nursing Practice from Sydney Nursing School.
This program equips registered nurses with the skills and confidence to move towards leadership roles in a range of settings. You will have the opportunity to further develop your competence and knowledge in your clinical area of interest, focusing on delivery of comprehensive care and clinical excellence.
What impact can I have in advanced nursing practice?
Our graduates go on to become leaders in health care. You can lead the way to ensuring optimum patient outcomes in whatever health care setting you choose to work.
Why study at Sydney Nursing School?
- Build the professional practice capabilities needed for leadership in nursing.
- Further develop your research skills, enabling you to make evidence-based decisions, and opening the door to a PhD at Sydney Nursing School.
- Enhance your specialty knowledge, clinical expertise and therapeutic skills, immediately applying what you learn in class to your professional practice.
- Join our global community of influential students, staff and alumni, building your professional network as you study alongside academics and peers from similar clinical communities.
- Choose how to fit study into your life with full-time and part-time options, as well as self-paced online study for some components of the program.
How will I learn?
Study over eighteen months full-time, or two and a half years part-time. This program is delivered via:
- Flexible, self-paced online study, allowing you to fit study around other commitments.
- Face-to-face study days for each unit of study, which offer students real-time support from lecturers and clinical experts and provide opportunities for sharing experiences in a small class of peers.
What will I study?
The Master of Advanced Nursing Practice will enable you to extend your current practice capabilities. The course will equip you with the knowledge, skills and evidence -base to support advanced nursing practice in your chosen field. A focus on clinical expertise, research, leadership and clinical governance provides a foundation for critical evaluation of the role and importance of advanced nursing practice in your clinical environment.
Students studying advanced nursing practice come from a variety of clinical backgrounds. You will explore clinical and professional issues related to advanced nursing practice and you will be able to relate these to your health care setting. During your studies you will consider advanced nursing practice in relation to clinical assessment and judgement, pathophysiology of the patient with complex health problems, diagnostic reasoning, management of the acutely ill patient, in-depth exploration of an advanced nursing practice issue relevant to your area, ethical considerations of patient care, application of research to clinical practice, and clinical leadership.
The course is delivered within an evidence-based framework, which you can adapt to your clinical specialty.
This program ends in a capstone project, offering you the choice to complete either a work-based project examining a current and professionally relevant clinical issue, or undertake a research project, giving you the opportunity to explore in depth a topic about which you feel passionate. This may also provide a pathway to a PhD at Sydney Nursing School.
Pathways to the Master’s
Our Advanced Nursing Practice programs are offered at master’s and graduate diploma level. Clinical Nursing is offered at graduate certificate level. You can choose to study the program over a duration which suits you best.
- Find out which units you can study at master’s, graduate diploma graduate certificate level, as well as the full-time and part-time options
- Read a detailed course overview
- Read detailed unit of study descriptions
- Plan your study now! Find out when face-to-face study days are held for each unit of study.