Advanced Nursing Practice/ Clinical Nursing
Take your career to the next level with a Master's or Graduate Diploma in Advanced Nursing Practice, or a Graduate Certificate in Clinical Nursing.
These programs equip registered nurses with the skills and confidence to move towards leadership roles in a range of settings. You will have the opportunity to further develop your competence and knowledge in your clinical area of interest, focusing on delivery of comprehensive care and clinical excellence.
What impact can I have in advanced nursing practice?
Our graduates go on to become leaders in health care. You can lead the way to ensuring optimum patient outcomes in whatever health care setting you choose to work.
Why study at Sydney Nursing School?
- Build the professional practice capabilities needed for leadership in nursing.
- Further develop your research skills, enabling you to make evidence-based decisions, and opening the door to a PhD at Sydney Nursing School.
- Enhance your specialty knowledge, clinical expertise and therapeutic skills, immediately applying what you learn in class to your professional practice.
- Join our global community of influential students, staff and alumni, building your professional network as you study alongside academics and peers from similar clinical communities.
- Choose how to fit study into your life with full-time and part-time options, as well as self-paced online study for some components of the program.
How will I learn?
- Graduate certificate: Study over one year part-time
- Graduate diploma: Study over one year full-time or two years part-time
- Master's program: Study over eighteen months full-time, or two and a half years part-time.
These programs are delivered via:
- Flexible, self-paced online study, allowing you to fit study around other commitments.
- Face-to-face study days for each unit of study, which offer students real-time support from lecturers and clinical experts and provide opportunities for sharing experiences in a small class of peers.
What will I study?
At graduate certificate level, you will consider advanced nursing practice in relation to clinical judgement, pathophysiology of the patient with complex health problems and management of the acutely or chronically ill patient. You will learn about assessment approaches, including the use of validated assessment tools and will consider how these findings contribute to advanced clinical reasoning. You will explore clinical and professional issues related to your particular health care setting. Nurses who choose to exit the program at graduate certificate level will be awarded a Graduate Certificate of Clinical Nursing.
The Graduate Diploma of Advanced Nursing Practice offers the opportunity for you to undertake an in-depth exploration of an advanced nursing practice issue relevant to your area. As well as the graduate certificate content, you will explore professional issues such as simulated education techniques, quality and safety frameworks, contemporary leadership, research, and the potential for expanding the scope of your practice as you carry out a clinical project in an area of your choice.
Building on the graduate certificate and diploma content, this program ends in a six month capstone project, offering two options for study: the first option facilitates an examination of the professional and political context of your dream job and the development of your professional portfolio; the second option is to undertake a supervised research project, in the form of an integrative literature review, allowing an in-depth exploration of an area that you feel passionate about. This second option may also provide a pathway to a PhD at Sydney Nursing School.
- Find out which units you can study at master’s, graduate diploma graduate certificate level, as well as the full-time and part-time options
- Read a detailed course overview
- Read detailed unit of study descriptions
- Plan your study now! Find out when face-to-face study days are held for each unit of study.