Cultural competence self-assessment
Do you think you are culturally competent? Have a look at this checklist to see if you regularly engage in any of the following:
- Examine your values, behaviours, beliefs and assumptions and are willing to have them challenged.
- Engage in activities that help you to reframe your thinking, allowing you to hear and understand other world views and perspectives.
- Learn how to see familiar situations from different perspectives – even to the point of change (rather than expecting others to fit in with you).
- Familiarise yourself with core cultural elements of the colleagues/clients you work with.
- Be sensitive to nuances of difference and have a sense of humour when things go in unexpected directions.
- Learn how to distinguish between stereotypes and generalisations.
- Engage with people as individuals, ensuring you identify how their reality is similar to, or different from, what you have learned about their core cultural elements.
- Learn and engage your colleagues/clients to learn how they define, name and understand key elements of their work.