Making health our priority
The University of Sydney is committed to discovering life-changing solutions to global problems. We create leaders who can address the urgent need for change, and we drive groundbreaking research in collaboration with the world’s brightest minds.
At the Charles Perkins Centre we are dedicated to easing the burden of obesity, diabetes and cardiovascular disease and their related conditions – the leading causes of death, disability and reduced quality of life in Australia – through innovative research and teaching.
Find out how our approach to tackling some of the world’s greatest health issues is different.
Why we need to act
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. (2008). Projection of Australian health care expenditure by disease 2003 to 2033.
- World Health Organization. (2014) Fact sheet: Obesity and overweight
- World Health Organization. (2011). Global status report on noncommunicable diseases 2010, Geneva.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics. (2013) Profiles of Health, Australia 2011-13.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics. (2012) Causes of Death, Australia 2012
- Baker IDI (2006) AusDiab 2005