APPLICATIONS NOW OPEN
At the Charles Perkins Centre, we offer a select group of high-achieving students enrolled in any undergraduate or postgraduate coursework program, the opportunity to learn valuable research skills and learn from senior researchers.
Summer Research Scholarships
Engaging young researchers
The Charles Perkins Centre is committed to delivering real world solutions to some of humanity’s greatest health challenges: obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease and related conditions.
Finding these solutions requires unique collaborations between researchers from a variety of backgrounds and the fresh insights they bring.
The summer scholarships program is now open to all University undergraduate and postgraduate coursework students, from any area of study and with any level of research experience.
Our summer scholarships provide students an exclusive opportunity to join the Centre’s mission and undertake paid research with leading academics in world-class facilities.
Your research project will contribute to the understanding, management or prevention of the individual and societal impacts of obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular disease and related conditions.
Successful candidates will develop research skills, gain experience and contribute to finding real world solutions through eight weeks of paid research.
“No matter background or discipline, we’ll find a way of weaving you into the work of the centre.” – Academic Director Professor Stephen Simpson
APPLICATIONS NOW OPEN
How to apply
Interested students should download and read the scholarship guidelines, then complete the following components by 5pm 2 October 2015.
- Complete application form
- Submit the following documents to Charles Perkins Centre Project Officer
- Current and certified academic transcript
- Signed agreement from project supervisors
- Request your academic referee complete the confidential academic reference form
- Provide evidence of health insurance for the period if not covered by Medicare
Please direct any queries to Sarah Anthony, Charles Perkins Centre Project Officer (Mon-Wed)
T +61 2 9351 5526
Examples of previous projects
- Aboriginal nutrition in an urban landscape // Faculty of Agriculture and Environment
- The "Healthy Buddy" app // Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology
- Fitness and wearable technologies: is fashion the solution // Faculty of Education and Social Work
- Testing the validity of food portion size estimation using finger measurements // Faculty of Health Sciences
- The policy potential of the law in combating an obesogenic environment // Faculty of Law
- Examination of the barriers in managing cardiovascular care for Indigenous populations // Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
- Development of NLG-based system to support people's cardiovascular health // Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology
- Enhancing food and nutrition security in resource-poor settings through the comparison of techniques for long term storage of eggs under village conditions // Faculty of Veterinary Science
- Body composition adaptations to exercise and/or diet in Chinese cohorts: A systematic review of the literature and primary analysis of the Mandarin speaking sub-study within the Sydney Diabetes Prevention Program // Faculty of Health Sciences