Associate Professor Alaina Ammit
BAppSc (UTS) MSc PhD
Associate Professor in Pharmaceutical Chemistry
A15 - Pharmacy And Bank Building
The University of Sydney
|Telephone||+61 2 9351 6099|
|Fax||+61 2 9351 4391|
Associate Professor Alaina J. Ammit has earned an international reputation for her work elucidating the mechanistic basis of inflammation in asthma and airway remodelling. Her findings have important implications for identifying novel targets for drug therapy that will underpin new therapeutic opportunities to treat and prevent respiratory disease, which is a National Health Priority Area. Associate Professor Ammit has received more than $5 million in peer-reviewed research funding (more than $3 million from NH&MRC), and published a career total of 70 articles in high-impact journals, including 14 invited reviews and a further six book chapters. To date, her publications have been cited over 2000 times and her H-index is 28.
- Airway inflammation
- Airway remodelling
- Post-transcriptional regulation of gene expression
- Cellular signalling
Respiratory Theme Leader (2013-present)
Chair, Animal Ethics Committee (2009-2012)
Postgraduate Co-ordinator (2008-2010)
Associate Dean (Research & Innovation) (2006-2010)
Associate Professor (2009)
Senior Lecturer (2006)
NH&MRC CJ Martin Fellow, University of Pennsylvania, USA (1997-2000), then University of Sydney (2001-2002)
Asthma Foundation (NSW) Martin Hardie Research Fellow (1996-1997)
PhD University of Sydney (APA)(1996)
Awards and honours
- Senior Medical Scientist Award, LIWA (2013)
- University of Sydney Thompson Fellowship (2011)
- NSW/ACT Young Tall Poppy Science Award (2006)
- Senior Medical Scientist Award, AARI (2005)
- Australian Academy of Science Travel Award (2004)
- Johnson & Johnson Research Award (2001)
Respiratory tract diseases; Asthma
PhD and master's project opportunities
+ indicates the opportunity is full and unavailable.
- nanoIR - nanoscale bioimaging with continuous mapping of chemical and physical properties; Gomes V, Dehghani F, Gan Y, Chang L, Jabbarzadeh-Khoei A, McKenzie D, Hanaor D, Zhou F, Chrzanowski W, Braet F, Bilek M, Chan H, Perrier S, O'Neill G, Ammit A, Brand-Miller J, McEwan A, Hawkett B, Kondyurin A, Li Q, Burgess J, Li Z; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Equipment Grants.
- QX100 Droplet Digital PCR system for Shared Used at the Open Access, Multi-User Molecular Biology Core Facility; Richardson D, Kril J, Murphy C, Vandenberg R, Rendina L, dos Remedios C, Ju Y, Kovacevic Z, Lyons J, Sutherland G, Lay P, Ammit A, Lai D, Morris B, Day M, Dong Q, Bao S, Huang M, Camp A, Boyer M, Whittington R, Byrne M, Hanrahan J, Fu D, Jansson J, Lane D, Bagley E, Hibbs D, Zhang D, Fraser S, Scolyer R, Black J, Halliday G, Christie M, Zreiqat H, Murray M, Slobedman B, Naylor M, Burgess J, Triccas J, Mason R, Chadban S, Combes V, Lovicu F, McLennan S, Kalinowski D, Sharland A, Johnstone D, Groundwater P, Dixon K, Zhou F, Lovejoy D, Lu Z, Zhu L, Goldsbury C, Witting P, Buckland M, Assinder S, Purdie (Williams) A, Codd R, Owens T, Hambly B; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Equipment Grants.
- Robotic High Throughput Western Analysis for the Open Access, Multi-User Sydney Cancer Research Core Facility; Richardson D, Scolyer R, Boyer M, Halliday G, Damian D, Christopherson R, Joshua D, Kench J, Hong A, Murray M, Lee C, Kalinowski D, Naylor M, Lay P, Lyons J, Kovacevic Z, Mason R, Dixon K, Chan-Ling T, Hawkins C, Sunde M, Lovejoy D, Owens T, Rendina L, Jansson J, dos Remedios C, Charles (nee Slaviero) K, Lane D, Witting P, Dong Q, Ammit A, Groundwater P, Assinder S, Bao S, Byrne S, Zhou F, Buckland M, Grewal (, Huq F, Lai D, Codd R, Zhang D, Fu D, de Graaf S, Huang M, Payne R, Slobedman B, Barrs V, Ho P, Williamson P, Murphy C; DVC Research/Equipment Grant.
- Novel strategies to boost tristetraprolin function: a critical anti-inflammatory protein in asthma; Ammit A, Clark A; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Project Grants.
- Fac of Pharmacy Research Fund; Ammit A; Research Donations/Research Donations.
- Proteasome inhibition as an anti-inflammatory strategy in asthma and airway remodeling; Ammit A; DVC Research/Thompson Fellowships.
- MKP-1 as a novel anti-inflammatory strategy in asthma and airway remodelling.; Hibbs D, Ammit A; Rebecca L Cooper Medical Research Foundation/Equipment Grant.
- Super-resolution fluorescence microscopy; Gaus K, Gandevia S, King N, Allen D, Vadas M, Ammit A, Grewal (, Jolliffe K; Australian Research Council (ARC)/Linkage Infrastructure, Equipment and Facilities (LIEF).
- Integrating Chemistry and Biology in the Search for New Therapeutics for Alzheimer's disease; Munoz (nee Gyurosiova) L, Ammit A, Guillemin G, Guillemin G; Alzheimers Australia/Dementia Grants Program.
- MKP-1 as a novel anti-inflammatory strategy in asthma and airway remodelling; Ammit A, Hibbs D; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Project Grants.
- Airway smooth muscle control of mast cells in asthma; Brightling C, Hughes J, Brightling C, Ammit A, Burgess J, Armour C; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Project Grants.
- Understanding corticosteroid-sensitive and -insensitive pathways in airway remodelling; Ammit A, Brewer M, Roth M, Brewer G, Hughes J, Armour C; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Project Grants.
- 7500 Real-time PCR instrument plus software; Roufogalis B, Armour C, Collins (Chebib) M, Ammit A, Murray M, Hughes J; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Equipment Grants.
- 7500 Real-time PCR instrument; Hughes J, Ammit A, Wicks K, Armour C; Clive & Vera Ramaciotti Foundation/Research Grant.
- Does deregulated mRNA stability underlie airway inflammation in asthma?; Hughes J, Ammit A, Armour C; Asthma Foundation of NSW/Research Grants.
- Adhesion regulation of pro-migratory factors in breast cancer.; Ammit A, O'Neill G; University of Sydney/Cancer Research Fund.
- How do corticosteroids suppress inflammation in airway smooth muscle (ASM) a pivotal immunomodulatory cell in asthma and COPD; Ammit A; Rebecca L Cooper Medical Research Foundation/Rebecca Cooper Medical Research Foundation.
- Airway smooth muscle - mast cell cross talk in asthma; Hughes J, Ammit A, Armour C, Johnson P; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Project Grants.
- Does deregulated mRNA stability underlie airway inflammation in asthma?; Borger P, Hughes J, Armour C, Ammit A; Asthma Foundation of NSW/Research Grants.
- Interactions between herbal medicines and the anticoagulant warfarin; Ammit A, Duke C, McLachlan A, Roufogalis B; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Project Grants.
- The role of sphingosine 1-phosphate in asthma and airway remodelling.; Ammit A; DVC Research/Research and Development Scheme: Newly Appointed Staff (NAS).
- The role of interleukin -17 in modulating airway smooth muscle functions in asthma; Ammit A, Armour C; DVC Research/Research and Development Scheme: Research and Development (R&D).
- Konica Medical Film Processor SRX-101A; Armour C, Collins (Chebib) M, Hughes J, Ammit A, Roufogalis B; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Equipment Grants.
- Transcriptional regulation of cytokine gene expression in airway smooth muscle by sphigosine 1-phosphate, a novel inflammatory mediator in asthma; Armour C, Ammit A; DVC Research/Research and Development Scheme: Research and Development (R&D).
- The role of Ras in the proliferation of human airway smooth muscle in asthma; Ammit A; National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)/Early Career Fellowships (ECF).
- SP assay for (1) screening of Novogen compounds for inhibitory activity, and (2) for assay of SPP activity in cells obtained from human subjects to monitor cancer progression, especially in the case of leukaemia.; Ammit A, Husband A; Novogen Limited/Research Grants.