Professor Andrew McLachlan
BPharm PhD, FPS FACP MCPA MSHPA
Chair of Pharmacy (Aged Care) based at Concord
Professor of Pharmacy (Aged Care)
A15 - Pharmacy And Bank Building
The University of Sydney
|Telephone||+61 2 9351 4452; Concord +61 2 9767 7373|
|Fax||+61 2 9351 6950|
Andrew is a pharmacist, academic, teacher and researcher with experience in clinical and experimental pharmacology and research into the quality use of medicines. He is Professor of Pharmacy (Aged Care) in the Faculty of Pharmacy at the University of Sydney based at Concord Hospital. His research focuses on understanding the causes and consequences of variability in response to medicines and how this informs the quality use of medicines.
Translating research in clinical pharmacology into practice in older people. Understanding the causes and consequences of variability in response to medicines and how this informs the quality use of medicines. The focus of this research has been in special patient populations such as older people, very young and critically ill.
This includes specific projects on:
- The impact of ageing on drug disposition and response to medicines
- Optimising pain management in older people
- Ethnic differences in drug response
- Herb-drug interactions
- Genetic basis of response to medicines
- Optimising anticancer therapies by understanding PK and PD variability
- Therapeutic drug monitoring as a tool to optimized drug therapy
- Optimal anticoagulant use in older people
- Quality use of medicines
- Quality and safety in medication management
- Optimal treatment of low back pain
Teaching and supervision
Undergraduate and postgraduate teaching in pharmacy practice including experiential placements in the hospital setting.
PHAR 5512 – Clinical Residency 2
PHAR 7112 - Healthy Ageing Pharmacy Practice
Editorial Board Membership
British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology (Executive Editor, 2008 - ongoing)
Journal of Pharmacy Practice and Research (Associate Editor, 2007 - ongoing)
Journal of Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics (2006-2009)
Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology (2004-2008)
Drug Information Journal (2003-2008)
Australian Medicines Handbook (2001 - 2011)
Australian Medicines Handbook, Aged Care Companion Australian Pharmaceutical Formulary and Handbook (2008-2012)
Associate Dean (Research), Faculty of Pharmacy (2010 - 2012)
Member, SEG-Research Committee, University of Sydney (2010 - 2012)
Chair, Postgraduate Coursework Subcommittee and Deputy Chair, Combined Board of Postgraduate Studies in Dentistry, Medicine and Pharmacy (2000-2008)
Director (Clinical Studies), Herbal Medicines Research and Education Centre, University of Sydney (2003 - 2011)
Associate Dean (Postgraduate) and Chair, Postgraduate Committee, Faculty of Pharmacy (2000-2005)
Hospital Service Member (and now Chair), Sydney Local Health District – Concord Hospital, Human Research Ethics Committee (2007 - ongoing)
Member, Drug and Therapeutics Committee, Concord Hospital (2006 – ongoing)
Professional & Community Contributions
Chair, National Medicines Policy Committee (2009 - 2012)
Member, National Medicines Policy Executive (2009 - 2012)
President, Australasian Pharmaceutical Science Association (APSA) (2009-2012)
Pharmaceutical Subcommittee, Advisory Committee on Prescription Medicines (2002 - ongoing)
Member, Australian Therapeutic Goods Advisory Council (2012 – ongoing)
Member (and now Chair), Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority, Anti-Doping Rule Violation Panel (2010 – ongoing)
Member, Medication Reference Group, Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Healthcare (ACSQHC)
Awards and honours
Pharmaceutical Society of Australia, Pharmacist of the Year 2006
- Pregabalin in addition to usual care for sciatica (PRECISE): a randomised, placebo-controlled trial; Lin C, Maher C, McLachlan A, Latimer J, Koes B, Hancock M, Harris I; National Health and Medical Research Council/Project Grants.
- High risk prescribing in older Australians; Banks E, Le Couteur D, Pearson S, McLachlan A, Viney R, Hilmer S, Gnjidic D, Blyth F; National Health and Medical Research Council/Project Grants.
- Improving the use of chemotherapy by targeting the inflammatory response; Clarke S, Robertson G, Piquette-Miller M, McLachlan A, Baker M, Katsifis A; National Health and Medical Research Council/Project Grants.
- Lessors Learned Form Reporting Dispensing near Miss Incidents in Community Pharmacy; Fois R, Chen T, McLachlan A; Pharmaceutical Defence Limited (PDL)/Research Grant.
- Organic anion transporting polypeptide 1A2 pharmocogenetcs in the determination of personalized treatment protocols with imatinib; Zhou F, Murray M, McLachlan A; Pharmacy Research Trust of NSW/Research Support.
- Updating information contained in The University of Sydney, Herb-Drug Interaction Database; McLachlan A, Duke C, Roufogalis B; UnityHealth Pty Ltd/Research Support.
- Development of personalised dosage protocols for tyrosine kinase inhibitors in oncology patients; Murray M, Gurney H, McLachlan A; Cancer Council New South Wales/Research Project Grants.
- Optimising pain management in frail older people; McLachlan A, Naganathan V, Le Couteur D, Hilmer S, Gibson S; National Health and Medical Research Council/Project Grants.
- The first placebo-controlled trial of paracetamol for back pain; Latimer J, Maher C, McLachlan A, Day R, Cooper C, Hancock M; National Health and Medical Research Council/Project Grants.
- Inter-Ethnic Differences in Tolerance of Anti-Cancer drugs; Clarke S, McLachlan A; NHMRC/Project Grant.
- Optimising pain management in the frail older people; McLachlan A; University of Sydney/Bridging Support.
- Quality Indicators for Best Practice Approaches to Experiential Placements in Pharmacy programs.; Hotham L, Davey A, McLachlan A, Brien J, Chaar B, Stupans I, March G, McAteer S; Carrick Institute of Teaching and Learning/Discipline Initiative Grant.
- A clinical trial of manipulative therapy and/or NSAIDs for significant acute low back pain; Maher C, Latimer J, McLachlan A, Cooper C; NHMRC/Project.
- Interactions between herbal medicines and the anticoagulant warfarin; Ammit A, Duke C, McLachlan A, Roufogalis B; NHMRC/Project.
- A community pharmacy based anticoalgulant management service; McLachlan A, Krass I, Chen T; Pharmacy Guild of Australia/Research Grant.
- The effects of ageing on cancer chemotherapy; Rivory L, Clarke S, McLachlan A; NHMRC/GRANTS.
Clinical pharmacology; Mental health; Ageing; Cardiovascular diseases