Dr Claire O'Reilly
BPharm (Hons) PhD MPS MAICD
A15 - Pharmacy And Bank Building
The University of Sydney
|Telephone||+61 2 9351 2729|
Dr Claire O’Reilly’s research has investigated pharmacists’ attitudes towards mental illness and the evaluation of new training and education programs for pharmacists in the area of mental health. Dr O’Reilly is also a practising community pharmacist at Nick Logan Pharmacist Advice, an accredited Mental Health First Aid Instructor and has previously worked as a project pharmacist to a community mental health team. Dr O’Reilly is currently National Vice President of the Pharmaceutical Society of Australia (PSA) and her past achievements include being awarded the PSA NSW Pharmacy Graduate of the Year in 2004, PSA Australian Young Pharmacist of the Year in 2006 and in 2009 she was awarded the International Pharmaceutical Federation (FIP) Young Pharmacist award for Professional Innovation.
Dr O’Reilly’s research interests cover a variety of different aspects of mental health care including:
- Stigma and attitudes of health care professionals in mental illness
- Development of educational interventions to reduce mental health stigma
- The role of the pharmacist as part of a multidisciplinary mental health care team
- Adherence to psychotropic medicines
- Stress and mental health of the pharmacist workforce
- Pharmacists performing screening and risk assessment services for depression
- Pharmaceutical Society of Australia, National Vice-President 2011-present
- Pharmaceutical Society of Australia, National Board member 2008-present
Awards and honours
- International Pharmaceutical Federation (FIP); Young Pharmacist Award for Professional Innovation 2009
- National Health Medical Research Council (NHMRC); Public Health Postgraduate Scholarship 2008
- Pharmaceutical Society of Australia (PSA); Australian Young Pharmacist of the Year 2006
- Pharmaceutical Society of Australia (PSA); NSW Pharmacy Graduate of the Year 2004
Mental health services; Quality Use of Medicines; Stigma; Mental health
- Developing a screening tool to assist pharmacists in the screening and risk assessment of depression in community pharmacy; O'Reilly C; Pharmacy Research Trust of NSW/Research Support.
- Development of a teaching resource to reduce mental health stigma in pharmacy students; O'Reilly C; University of Sydney/Teaching Improvement and Equipment Scheme (TIES).
- Mental Health: Understanding attitudes and self-reported behaviour of pharmacists in New South Wales; Chen T, O'Reilly C; Pharmacy Research Trust of NSW/Research Support.
- Reducing Mental Health Stigma: Development of an e-learning program for pharmacists; O'Reilly C; International Pharmaceutical Federation (Netherlands)/Research Support.