Occupational Health and Safety
Drivers must have a current valid driver's licence for the type of vehicle being driven.
- Ensure your license is current and valid.
- Record details of trip as per logbook requirements (i.e. date, time, odometer, purpose of trip).
- Maintain vehicles as per manufacturer's guidelines.
- Complete pre-use Vehicle Safety Checklist (65KB PDF).
- Complete Driver Safety Training appropriate to 'at risk' groups (e.g. 4WD's)
- Follow the Australian Road Rules and road signage.
- Mobile phone use is NOT PERMITTED while your vehicle is in operation. Pull off the road in a safe location and park your vehicle before you use your mobile phone.
- Follow the University's Fieldwork Safety Guidelines.
- Adopt safe driving practices
(e.g. take regular breaks and alternate drivers over long distances). Stop, Revive, Survive
- Adjust speed to suit the conditions of light, weather, road or traffic.
- Be aware of clearance at top, sides, front or rear of vehicle when using car parks etc.
- Follow defensive driving practices ie:
- yield or give way when necessary to avoid an incident
- check behind the vehicle before/when reversing
- control speed to allow stopping within a comfortable distance ahead
- Report any incidents promptly to your supervisor and online using RiskWare.