About Dr Mark McEntee
I am driven by discovery and a desire to improve every aspect of diagnostic imaging
Other Research interests include Medical Image Perception, digital imaging, Diagnostic Reference Levels in CT, digital radiography, optimization of radiation dose and image quality, optimization of soft copy displays, the ambient environment and lighting conditions for radiological reporting, image quality measurement, ROC, manual handling practices, intravenous cannulation and administration. I have been heavily involved with a variety of research groups in UCD that explore ways of optimizing procedures for diagnostic examinations. The studies in which I have been and am currently involved include: • The use of novel display devices such as PDAs and iPods for the display of medical images; • Optimisation of exposure factors for digital radiography, such as optimisation of kVp and antiscatter grids when using digital technology; • Optimizing viewing of soft copy radiological images • Investigating the optimal use of monitors for soft copy radiological images • Investigating the effect of electronic requests on work flow and patient throughput • Investigating Dose Reference Levels for CT in Malta • Novel dose reduction methods in Cardiac CT • Establishing the Collective dose for the population resulting from CT examinations
I carried out research at PhD level in to the effect of X-ray beam energy on image quality and effective dose during digital radiographic imaging.
Research supervision includes:
- 28 BSc Theses
- 7x Summer research Scholarships
- 9x PhD and 5 x MSc Diagnostic Imaging and
Research funding includes
- IRCSET Funding to investigate collective doses in Ireland €72,000 over 3 years
- Health Research Board Funding: €230,000 to investigate optimisation of Breast Cancer visualisation.
- American Board of Radiology Research Travel 2005 -present €3,000 pa
- EIZO Equipment grant €5,000
- UCD Seed funding scheme $15,000
- IRCSET PHD Student Scholarship to investigate novel display devices €60,000
- IIR research grant 2003 €250, 2006 €350; 2007 €250.
- UCD publication grant 2003 €1,000
- HRB summer student research grant 2004 €1,600
- School of Medicine and Medical Science Over head distribution grant €3,150
- Toward international standards for Radiological image interpretation
- The impact of powering off on calibration status of Liquid Crystal Displays used for radiological image interpretation.
- Development of software for the optimisation of viewing conditions for digital radiological images
For further information, please see Dr McEntee's staff profile:
- Reed W, Ryan J, Mc Entee MF, Brennan PC (2011) 'The impact of abnormality prevalence expectation on expert observer performance and visual search'. Radiology, 253:938.
- Toomey, RJ,Ryan, JT, McEntee, MF, Evanoff, MG, Chakraborty, DP, McNulty, JP,Manning, DJ,Thomas, EM,Brennan, PC (2010) 'Diagnostic Efficacy of Handheld Devices for Emergency Radiologic Consultation'. American Journal of Roentgenology, 194 :469-474.
- Foley S, Rainford L, Mc Entee MF, Dodds J (2011) 'Reduction in Breast Radiation Dose from Coronary Computed Tomography Using Breast Displacement and Lead Shielding'. American Journal of Roentgenology, AJR MS 10-4569
- Lowe JM, Brennan PC, Evanoff MG, McEntee MF (2010) 'Variations in Performance of LCDs Are Still Evident After DICOM Gray-Scale Standard Display Calibration'. American Journal of Roentgenology, 195 (1):181-187
- Pearman, L, Last, J, Fitzgerald, O, Veale, D,Joyce, M, Rainford, L, McEntee, M,Mcnulty, J,Thomas, E,Ryan, J, Mcgee, A, Toomey, R, D'Helft, C, Lowe, J, Brennan, PC (2009) 'Rheumatoid arthritis: a novel radiographic projection for hand assessment'. British Journal of Radiology, 82 :554-560
- Zarb, Francis; Rainford, Louise; Mc Entee, Mark (2010) 'AP diameter shows the strongest correlation to CTDI and DLP in abdominal and chest CT'. Radiation Protection Dosimetry, 139 ((4-6)):1-8
- Mc Entee M. F., Kinsella C. (2010) 'The PA projection of the clavicle: a dose-reducing technique'. Radiation Protection Dosimetry, 139 (4-6):1-7.
- Mc Entee MF, Kinsella, C (2010) 'An examimation of practice during radiography of the clavicle'. Radiography, 16 (2):125-130.