About Professor Manfred Lenzen
I undertake research in Environmental Science out of the recognition that I am responsible for protecting our natural environment, and with the aim of making a real difference in the world.
Professor Manfred Lenzen leads the Integrated Sustainability Analysis (ISA) group at the School of Physics, and supervises Masters and PhD students with interests in research on interactions between the economy and our environment.
- More than 100 published articles in international, peer-reviewed journals
- Editor-in-Chief for the ISI-listed journal Economic Systems Research
- Associate Editor for the ISI-listed Journal of Industrial Ecology
- Chief Investigator in Australian and overseas research grants
- Extensive global academic collaborator network
- Founder of interdisciplinary ISA research group (www.isa.org.usyd.edu.au)
2006-2011: Chair of Sustainability Research, The University of Sydney, Australia
2002-2006: Senior Research Fellow, School of Physics, The University of Sydney, Australia
2004-2005: Visiting Professor, Graduate School of Frontier Sciences, Institute for Environmental Studies, The University of Tokyo, Japan
2000-2001, 2003: Visiting Professor, Energy Planning Program, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
2000, 2002: Guest Researcher, AKF, Institute for Local Government Studies, Copenhagen, Denmark
1995-2002: Postdoctoral Fellow, School of Physics, The University of Sydney, Australia
1991-1995: Research Assistant, Institute for Geodynamics, Bonn University, Germany
1993-1994: Contract Researcher for the Federal Parliament, Bonn, Germany
1990-1991: Contract Researcher for the State Ministry for Building and Dwelling of North-Rhine-Westphalia, Düsseldorf, Germany
2. Lenzen, M. (2009) Understanding virtual water flows - a multi-region input-output case study of Victoria. Water Resources Research 45, W09416.
3. Lenzen, M. (2010) Current state of development of electricity-generating technologies: A literature review. Energies 3, 462-591.
4. Lenzen, M. and B. Cummins (2010) Happiness vs the environment - a case study of Australian lifestyles. Social Indicators Research, under review.
5. Lenzen, M., A. Lane, A. Widmer-Cooper and M. Williams (2009) Effects of land use on threatened species. Conservation Biology 23, 294-306.
6. Lenzen, M. and J. Munksgaard (2002) Energy and CO2 analyses of wind turbines - review and applications. Renewable Energy 26, 339-362.
7. Lenzen, M. and G. Peters (2010) How city dwellers affect their resource hinterland - a spatial impact study of Australian households. Journal of Industrial Ecology 14, 73-90.
8. Lenzen, M. and R. Schaeffer (2004) Interrelational income distribution in Brazil. Developing Economies XLII, 371-391.
9. Lenzen, M. and S. Smith (2000) Teaching responsibility for climate change: three neglected issues. Australian Journal of Environmental Education 15/16, 69-78.
10. Lenzen, M., R. Wood and B. Foran (2008) Direct versus Embodied Energy - The Need for Urban Lifestyle Transitions. In: P. Droege (ed.) Urban Energy Transition. Amsterdam, Netherlands, Elsevier.