About Professor Joellen Riley
Joellen Riley's research expertise is in all aspects of the law relating to work: employment law; workplace/industrial relations law; and the law relating to the provision of services by small business operators. Her particular interests are in employment contract law and workplace dispute resolution.
Joellen Riley is one of Australia's leading employment and workplace law academics.
Joellen Riley commenced her academic career in 1998, after several years as a finance journalist, and then as a practising lawyer. She teaches Masters level courses in Advanced Employment Law, and Executive Employment. She has published widely in her research field, and is regularly invited as a speaker on topics related to the law of work.
For a complete profile, please see here.
- Owens, R, Riley, J & Murray, J, The Law of Work (2nd Edition), OUP: Melbourne (2011)
- Sappideen, C, O’Grady, P, Riley, J, Warburton, G, Macken's Law of Employment ( 7th Edition), Thomson Reuters: Sydney (2011)
- Riley, J, ‘Commodifying sheer talent: perverse developments in the law’s enforcement of restrictive covenants’, in W van Canaegem and C Arup (eds), Intellectual Property Policy Reform, Edward Elgar: UK, (2009) 267-284
- Riley, J, ‘From Industrial Arbitration to Workplace Mediation: Changing Approaches to Workplace Dispute Resolution’ in A Forsyth and A Stewart (eds), Fair Work: The New Workplace Laws and the Work Choices Legacy, Federation Press: Sydney (2009) 186-206
- Riley, J & Sheldon, P (eds), Remaking Australian Industrial Relations, CCH: Australia (2008)
- Riley, J, Independent Work Contracts, Thomson LBC: Sydney (2007)
- Riley, J, ‘Regulating for Fair Dealing in Work Contracts: A New South Wales Approach’ (2007) 36(1) Industrial Law Journal 19-34
- Riley, J and Peterson, K, WorkChoices: A Guide to the 2005 Changes, Thomson LBC: Sydney (2006)
- Riley, J, ‘Regulating unequal work relationships for fairness and efficiency: A study of Business Format Franchising’ in C Arup, P Gahan, J Howe, R Johnstone, R Mitchell and A O'Donnell (eds), Labour Law and Labour Market Regulation: Essays on the Construction, Constitution and Regulation of Labour Markets and Work Relationships, Federation Press: Sydney (2006)
- Riley, J, Employee Protection at Common Law, Federation Press: Sydney (2005)