About Dr Abelardo Pardo
My research is on creating personalized and adaptive systems to promote successful learners in educational environments.
Dr Abelardo Pardo is Associate Head of Teaching and Learning and Senior Lecturer at the School of Electrical and Information Engineering, The University of Sydney. He has a PhD in Computer Science by the University of Colorado at Boulder. He is the director of the Learning and Affect Technologies Engineering laboratory specialized in the design of adaptive and personalized software systems for learning. His areas of research are learning analytics, tools for collaboration and personalized learning processes, and systems to improve teaching practice and student outcomes. He has participated in national and international projects funded by the Office for Teaching and Learning (Australia), National Science Foundation (USA), and the European Union. He serves as member of the editorial boards of the IEEE Transactions on Learning Technology and the Journal of Social Media and Interactive Learning Environments, and as associate editor of the Journal of Learning Analytics.
Dr Pardo has participated in various international research projects in which software technology is used to improve learning and teaching practice. In the area of behavioural analytics, he has developed a sampling application that offers a comprehensive set of events of how students participate in activities part of a learning experience. Visualisations have been also part of the research activities in which intuitive representations of data collected for individuals and communities are relayed back for self-reflection. The area of computer supported collaboration has also been explored in various research projects. Technology now offers an efficient way to observe, report and suggest improvements in work -related tasks which leads to the possibility of highly personalised and adaptive learning experiences.
- Pardo, A. (2014). Designing Learning Analytics Experiences. In J. A. Larusson & B. White (Eds.), Learning Analytics. From Research to Practice (pp. 15–38). Springer. doi:10.1007/978-1-4614-3305-7
- Govaerts, S., Verbert, K., Duval, E., & Pardo, A. (2012). The Student Activity Meter for Awareness and Self-reflection. In ACM SIGCHI International Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (pp. 869–884).
- Romero Zaldívar, V. A., Pardo, A., Burgos, D., & Delgado Kloos, C. (2012). Monitoring Student Progress Using Virtual Appliances : A Case Study. Computers & Education, 58(4), 1058–1067.
- Pardo, A., Mirriahi, N., Dawson, S., Zhao, Y., Zhao, A., & Gašević, D. (2015). Identifying Learning Strategies Associated with Active use of Video Annotation Software. In International Conference on Learning Analytics and Knowledge (pp. 255–259). ACM Press.
- Pardo, A., & Siemens, G. (2014). Ethical and privacy principles for learning analytics. British Journal of Educational Technology, 45(3), 438–450. doi:10.1111/bjet.12152
- Verbert, K., Ochoa, X., Derntl, M., Wolpers, M., Pardo, A., & Duval, E. (2012). Semi-automatic Assembly of Learning Resources. Computers & Education, 59(4), 1257–1272.
- Macfadyen, L. P., Dawson, S., Pardo, A., & Gašević, D. (2014). Embracing Big Data in Complex Educational Systems: The Learning Analytics Imperative and the Policy Challenge. Research & Practice in Assessment, 9(Winter), 17–28.
- De-la-Fuente-Valentin, L., Pardo, A., & Delgado Kloos, C. (2013). Addressing drop-out and sustained effort issues with large practical groups using an automated delivery and assessment system. Computers & Education, 61(February), 33–42.
- De-La-Fuente-Valentín, L., Pardo, A., & Kloos, C. D. (2011). Generic Service Integration in Adaptive Learning Experiences using IMS Learning Design. Computers & Education, 57(1), 1160–1170. doi:10.1016/j.compedu.2010.12.007
- Escobedo, J. P., De La Fuente Valentín, L., Gutiérrez-Santos, S., Pardo, A., & Delgado Kloos, C. (2007). Implementation of a Learning Design Run-Time Environment for the . LRN Learning Management System. Journal of Interactive Media in Education, 2007(01).