About Dr Abelardo Pardo
My research is based on the principle that individuals and communities need software and hardware tools to improve their well being.
Dr Abelardo Pardo is a Lecturer at the University of Sydney, School of Electrical and Information Engineering. He has a PhD in Computer Science by the University of Colorado at Boulder. His research interest is in the application of software engineering techniques to improve all aspects of the well-being of humans and communities. He has experience in areas such as behavioural analytics, computer supported collaboration, personalisation, and technology enhanced learning. He has participated in national and international projects funded by NSF (USA) and the European Union. He is author of numerous research publications in prestigious conferences and journals, member of the steering committee of the Society for Learning Analytics Research (www.solaresearch.org), and member of the editorial board of the Journal of Social Media and Interactive Learning Environments and the Journal for Learning Analytics.
Dr Pardo has participated in various international research projects in which software technology is used to improve personal well-being. In the area of behavioural analytics, he has developed a sampling application that offers a comprehensive set of events of how students participate in activities part of a learning experience. Visualisations have been also part of the research activities in which intuitive representations of data collected for individuals and communities are relayed back for self-reflection. The area of computer supported collaboration has also been explored in various research projects. Technology now offers an efficient way to observe, report and suggest improvements in work -related tasks. The common principle underlying these projects is that with technology, individuals can improve some of the aspects that contribute to their overall well-being.
- Luis de la Fuente Valentín, Abelardo Pardo, Carlos Delgado Kloos. "Addressing drop-out and sustained effort issues with large practical groups using an automated delivery and assessment system". Computers & Education, Vol. 61, Feb. 2013, pages 33-42.
- Jesus Arias Fisteus, Abelardo Pardo, Norberto Fernández García. "Grading multiple choice exams with low-cost and portable computer-vision techniques". Journal of Science Education and Technology, 2012. Accepted for publication.
- Abelardo Pardo, Jesus Arias Fisteus, Carlos Delgado Kloos. "A Distributed Collaborative System for Flexible Learning Content Production and Management". Journal of Research and Practice in Information Technology. Accepted for publication.
- Katrien Verbert, Xavier Ochoa, Michael Derntl, Martin Wolpers, Abelardo Pardo, Erik Duval. "Semi-automatic Assembly of Learning Resources". Computers & Education, Vol. 59, Num. 4, pages 1257-1272.
- Vicente A. Romero Zaldívar, Abelardo Pardo, Daniel Burgos Carlos Delgado Kloos. "Monitoring Student Progress Using Virtual Appliances: A Proof of Concept". Computers & Education, Volume 58, Issue 4, May 2012, pages 1058-1067.
- Luis de la Fuente Valentín, Abelardo Pardo, and Carlos Delgado Kloos. "Generic Service Integration in Adaptive Learning Experiences using IMS Learning Design". Computers & Education, Volume 57, Issue 1, August 2011, Pages 1160-1170.
- Abelardo Pardo and Carlos Delgado Kloos. "SubCollaboration: large-scale group management in collaborative learning". Software: Practice and Experience, Volume 41, Issue 4, pages 339-465.
- Rocael Hernandez, Abelardo Pardo, Carlos Delgado Kloos. "Creating and Deploying Effective eLearning Experiences Using .LRN". IEEE Transactions on Education, Volume 50, Number 4, pages 345-351, Nov. 2007.
- Iris Bahar, Erika Frohm, Charles Gaona, Gary Hachtel, Enrico Macii, Abelardo Pardo, Fabio Somenzi. "Algebraic Decision Diagrams and their applications". Journal of Formal Methods in System Design. Volume 10, 1997, pages 171-206. ISSN: 0925-9856. Springer.
- Gary Hachtel, Enrico Macii, Abelardo Pardo, Fabio Somenzi. "Markovian Analysis of Large Finite State Machines". IEEE Transactions on Computer Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems. Volume 15(12), 1996, pages 1479-1493. ISSN: 0278-0070. IEEE Circuits and Systems Society.