About Associate Professor David Fletcher
I am an Adjunct Professor who works closely with experimentalists and industrial companies to study problems involving flow, heat transfer and combustion. I have a passion for research that has kept me associated me with Sydney University for over 15 years. Using state of the art software and computing facilities I perform research that has a major impact on industrial process design and aids the development of new environmentally-friendly technologies. The computer modelling that can now be performed was unimaginable even a few years ago so there are thousands of interesting problems waiting for you.
Computer modelling to understand, design and improve chemical processes and equipment involving flow, heat transfer and chemical reaction.
- BSc Mathematics (1979), PhD (1982) University of Exeter, UK.
- Habilitation a Diriger des Recherches (2002) Institut National Polytechnique de Toulouse.
- Thirty years working as a CFD specialist at the UK Atomic Energy Authority, with ANSYS CFX and Fluent and at the University of Sydney.
- Published more than 180 refereed journal articles in the area of CFD modelling, heat transfer, mass transfer and multiphase and reacting flows.
- Industrial research collaborators have included: A B Mauri, AGL, ALCOA, Biomass Energy Services and Technology, BHP Billiton, BOC, CRIEPI, Department of Planning NSW, EDL, FlavourTech, James Hardie, Nuclear Electric, NZDRI, Ontario Hydro, ORICA, Pharmaxis Ltd, Qenos, Shell UK, Sugar Research Institute, UK Health and Safety Executive.
- David has academic collaborations with INP Toulouse (which is centered around an active PhD cotutelle programme) and Université Paul-Sabatier.
- M.S. Mason, G.S. Wood and D.F. Fletcher, "Numerical simulation of idealised three-dimensional downburst wind fields". Eng. Struct., 32(11), 3558-3570, (2010)
- R. Gupta, D.F. Fletcher and B.S. Haynes, "On the CFD modelling of Taylor flow in microchannels". Chem. Eng. Sci., 64(12), 2941-2950, (2009).
- Y. Bessiere, D.F. Fletcher and P. Bacchin, "Numerical simulation of colloid dead-end filtration: effect of membrane characteristics and operating conditions on matter accumulation". J. Membr. Sci., 313(1-2), 52-59, (2008).
- J.-P. Torré, D.F. Fletcher, T. Lasuye and C. Xuereb, "An experimental and computational study of the vortex shape in a partially baffled agitated vessel". Chem. Eng. Sci., 62(7), 1915-1926, (2007).
- J. Aubin, D.F. Fletcher and C. Xuereb, "Design of micromixers using CFD modelling". Chem. Eng. Sci, 60(8-9), 2503-2516, (2005).
- D.E. Wiley and D.F. Fletcher, "Techniques for computational fluid dynamics modelling of flow in membrane channels". J. Membr. Sci., 211(1) 127-137, (2003).
- T.A.G. Langrish and D.F. Fletcher, "Prospects for the modelling and design of spray dryers in the 21st century". Drying Technol., 21(2), 197-215, (2003).
- B. Guo, T.A.G. Langrish and D.F. Fletcher, "Simulation of turbulent swirl flow in an axisymmetric sudden expansion". AIAA J., 39(1), 96-102, (2001).
- D.J.E. Harvie and D.F. Fletcher, "A hydrodynamic and thermodynamic simulation of droplet impacts on hot surfaces, Part I: Theoretical model". Int. J. Heat Mass Trans., 44(14), 2633-2642, (2001).
- D.F. Fletcher, B.S. Haynes, F.C. Christo and S.D. Joseph, "A CFD based combustion model of an entrained flow biomass gasifier". Appl. Math. Model., 24(3), 165-182, (2000).
- D.J.E. Harvie and D.F. Fletcher, "A new volume of fluid advection algorithm: The stream scheme". J. Comp. Phys., 162(1), 1-32, (2000).
- B.B. Dally, D.F. Fletcher and A.R. Masri, "Flow and mixing fields of turbulent bluff-body jets and flames". Combust. Theory Model., 2(2), 193-219, (1998).