Our consistently high results in the Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) ratings – the national evaluation of research excellence – demonstrate the quality and impact of our research.
In 2015, the latest ERA assessment round, the University performed above or well above world standard in 81 per cent of the almost 100 academic fields of research assessed. All our research ranked at world standard or above.
We use our University Guidelines for Non-Traditional Research Outputs (NTROs) (PDF 343KB) for recognising quality creative arts research and innovative applications of research for ERA reporting.
The University of Sydney achieved the maximum score – ‘well above world standard’ – in nine research fields across a broad spectrum:
● History and Archaeology
● Information and Computing Sciences
● Language, Communication and Culture
● Law and Legal Studies
● Mathematical Sciences
● Medical and Health Sciences
● Philosophy and Religious Studies
● Physical Sciences
● Studies in Human Society
The University of Sydney was also rated ‘above world standard’ in these 12 disciplines:
● Agricultural and Veterinary Sciences
● Biological Sciences
● Chemical Sciences
● Commerce, Management, Tourism and Services
● Creative Arts and Writing
● Earth Sciences
● Environmental Sciences
● Psychology and Cognitive Sciences