- Horsley, M., & Walker, R. A. (2013). Reforming homework: Practices, learning and policies. South Yarra, VIC: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Martin, J.R. (2013) Systemic Functional Grammar: a next step into the theory – axial relations. (J R Martin, Wang Pin & Zhu Yongsheng). Beijing: Higher Education Press. In press for July 2013.
- Maton, K. (2013) Knowledge and Knowers: Towards a realist sociology of education. London, Routledge.
- Van Krieken, R., Habibis, B., Smith, P., Hutchins, B., Martin, G.. & Maton, K. (2013) Sociology: Themes and perspectives. Fifth Edition. Sydney, Pearson.
- S.Bull and J.Kay. Open learner models. In R.Azevedo and V.Aleven, editors, International Handbook of Metacognition and Learning Technologies, page to appear. Springer, 2013.
- Goodyear, P & Carvalho, L (2013) The analysis of complex learning environments, Chapter 3 in Sharpe, R., Beetham, H (eds) Rethinking pedagogy for a digital age. London: Routledge. (2nd edition), 49-63.
- Goodyear, P., Jones, C & Thompson, K (in press, 2013; accepted 19-5-12) Computer-supported collaborative learning: instructional approaches, group processes and educational designs, invited chapter for Handbook of Research on Educational Communications and Technology (4th edition), eds Spector, J.M., Merrill, D., Elen, J., & Bishop, M, Springer.
- J. Kay, S. Kleitman, and R. Azevedo. Empowering teachers to design learning resources with metacognitive interface elements. In R. Luckin, J. Underwood, N. Winters, P. Goodyear, B. Grabowski, and S. Puntambeker, editors, Handbook of Design in Educational Technology, page to appear. Taylor and Francis, 2013.
- J R Martin, Revisiting mode: context in/dependency in Ancient History classroom discourse. (J R Martin & Matruglio) Huang Guowen, Zhang Delu & Yang Xinzhang [Eds.] Studies in Functional Linguistics and Discourse Analysis V. Beijing: Higher Education Press. 2013. 72-95.
- J R Martin, Enacting consent: redressive compliance in NSW Youth Justice Conferences. (J R Martin & M Zappavigna) D Eades, S Erhlich & J Ainsworth [Eds.] Consent and coercion in the legal process: Discursive and linguistic perspectives. Oxford: Oxford University Press. in press.
- McAndrew, P. & Goodyear, P. (2013) Representing practitioner experiences through learning design and patterns, Chapter 8 in Sharpe, R., Beetham, H (eds) Rethinking pedagogy for a digital age. London: Routledge. (2nd edition), 133-144.
- A.Clayphan, J.Kay, and A.Weinberger. Scriptstorm: scripting to enhance tabletop brainstorming. Personal and Ubiquitous Computing, Special Issue on Educational Interfaces, Software, and Technologies, page to appear, 2013.
- Curwood, J.S., Magnifico, A.M., & Lammers, J.C. (2013). Writing in the wild: Writers’ motivation in fan-based affinity spaces. Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy, 56(8), 677-685.
- R.Gluga, J.Kay, and T.Lever. Foundations for modeling university curricula in terms of multiple learning goal sets. IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies, 6(1):25-37, 2013.
- R.Gluga, J.Kay, R.Lister, Simon, and S.Kleitman. Mastering cognitive development theory in computer science education. Computer Science Education, 23(1):TBA, 2013.
- J. Kay and B. Kummerfeld. Creating personalised systems that people can scrutinise and control: drivers, principles and experience. ACM Transactions on Interactive Intelligent Systems (TiiS), Highlights of the Decade in Interactive Intelligent Systems, (4):24:1-24, 2013.
- Macnaught, L., Maton, K., Martin, J.R. & Matruglio, E. (2013) Jointly constructing semantic waves: Implications for teacher training, Linguistics & Education, 24(1): 50-63.
- L Macnaught, K Maton, J R Martin & E Matruglio. Jointly constructing semantic waves: implications for teacher training. Linguistics and Education 24.1 (Special Issue ‘Cumulative knowledge-building in secondary schooling.’ edited by J R Martin & K Maton). 2013. 50-63,
- J R Martin, Mater Dolorosa: negotiating support in NSW Youth Justice Conferencing. in press International Journal for the Semiotics of Law (Special Issue Fresh Waters form an Old Spring: the semiotics of restorative justice, Recognizing harm and healing communities anew with old ways edited by J B Hamlin).
- J R Martin, Evolving Systemic Functional Linguistics: beyond the clause. Journal of Functional Linguistics. in press
- D Rose & J R Martin. Pedagogic discourse: contexts of schooling. In RASK (Special issue in honour of Cark Bache). in press.
- J R Martin & M Zappavigna. Youth Justice Conferencing: ceremonial redress. International Journal of Law, Language and Discourse. in press.
- J R Martin, Embedded literacy: knowledge as meaning. Linguistics and Education 24.1 (Special Issue ‘Cumulative knowledge-building in secondary schooling.’ edited by J R Martin & K Maton). 2013. 23-37.
- Martin, J.R. & Maton, K. (2013) (eds) Cumulative Knowledge-Building in Secondary Schooling, Linguistics and Education, 24(1): 1-74.
- Martin, JR. Genre-based literacy programmes: contexualising the SLATE project. Linguistics and the Human Sciences 7. 2013. 5-27.
- Martin, J.R. & Maton, K. (2013) Cumulative knowledge-building in secondary schooling: Guest editors’ preface, Linguistics and Education, 24(1): 1-3.
- Maton, K. (2013) Making semantic waves: A key to cumulative knowledge-building, Linguistics and Education, 24(1): 8-22.
- Matruglio, E., Maton, K. & Martin, J.R. (2013) Time travel: The role of temporality in enabling semantic waves in secondary school teaching, Linguistics and Education, 24(1): 38-49.
- L.Pizzato, T.Rej, J.Akehurst, I.Koprinska, K.Yacef, and J.Kay. Recommending people to people: The nature of reciprocal recommenders with a case study in online dating. User Modeling and User-Adapted Interaction: The Journal of Personalization Research, pages 1-42:online first, 2013.
- Thompson, K., Ashe, D., Carvalho, L., Goodyear, P., Kelly, N. & Parisio, M. (2013) Processing and visualizing data in complex learning environments. American Behavioral Scientist. DOI: 10.1177/0002764213479368, published online first March 2013.
Conference papers and keynote talks
- C.Ackad, A.Collins, O.Dawson, R.Gluga, K.Grace, J.Kay, M.Tomitsch, and R.Wasinger. Enhancing interactivity at an interactive public information display. In The 2nd International Symposium on Pervasive Displays 2013, 2013.
- D.Barua, J.Kay, and C.Paris. Viewing and controlling personal sensor data: What do users want? In PERSUASIVE 2013, LNCS 7822, pages 15-26. Springer, Heidelberg, 2013.
- R.Gluga, J.Kay, R.Lister, Simon, M.Charleston, J.Harland, and D.Teague. A conceptual model for reflecting on expected learning vs. demonstrated student performance. In J.Whalley and A.Carbone, editors, Australasian Computing Education Conference (ACE2013), pages 77-86, Melbourne, Australia, 2013. ACS.
- Howard, S. & Maton, K. (2013) Technology and knowledge: An exploration of teachers’ conceptions of subject-area knowledge practices and technology integration, American Educational Research Association Annual Conference, San Francisco, April.
- Howard, S. & Maton, K. (2013) Form and content: A study of underlying forms of knowledge and technology integration in secondary teaching, 20th Annual Conference of the Association for Learning Technology (ALT-C), Nottingham, September.
- Howard, S. & Maton, K. (2013) Technology and knowledge: Teachers’ conceptions of subject-area practices and technology integration, 15th Biennial EARLI Conference for Research on Learning and Instruction, August, Munich.
- R.Martinez, K.Yacef, Y.Dimitriadis, M.Edbauer, and J.Kay. MITClassroom and MITDashboard: supporting analysis of teacher attention in an orchestrated multi-tabletop classroom. In CSCL - Computer Supported Collaborative Learning, 2013.
- Maton, K. (2013) Recovering knowledge for the classroom, The Second International Social Realism Symposium, University of Cambridge, April.
- V. Southavilay, K.Yacef, P.Reimann, and R.A. Calvo. Analysis of collaborative writing processes using revision maps and probabilistic topic models. Conference on Learning Analytics (LAK 2013) 2013.
- R.Wasinger, J.Wallbank, L.Pizzato, J.Kay, B.Kummerfeld, M.Böhmer, and A.Krüger. Scrutable user models and personalised item recommendation in mobile lifestyle applications. In 21st International Conference on User Modeling, Adaptation and Personalization (UMAP 2013), Rome, Italy, 2013.