Commercially-sponsored research and non-University of Sydney applicants
Research sponsored by commercial sponsors
An ethics administration fee of $2,500 (plus GST) will be charged for applications from University of Sydney staff or students that are externally funded by commercial sponsors.
This is a stand-alone fee and is in addition to any University indirect costs.
Ethics applications for research projects sponsored by government (including ARC/NHMRC) or not for profit organisations and administered by the University are exempt from this fee.
If your research project is funded by a commercial sponsor you should include the administration fee in your project budget that is approved by the sponsor.
Applications from external organisations
Ethics applications from external organisations with no direct link to the University, where the chief investigator is neither a staff member, an affiliate or a student of the University, may be accepted for review at the discretion of the University HREC. The external organisation will be charged an administration fee of $2,500 (plus GST).
The process for submission of applications from external organisations
If you would like to submit an application please refer to the steps below:
- Forward a brief description of the protocol and its objectives to the
- This will be forwarded to the AEC Chair to decide if it is appropriate for the University of Sydney to act as the approving AEC for the protocol. You will be notified of the decision.
- A signed agreement must be made between your institution and the University of Sydney.
- The application fee is then payable prior to the submission being reviewed by the University of Sydney AEC.
- Once the above steps have been completed, an application form will need to be completed and submitted online in IRMA; the University’s online records management platform. To do this, the chief investigator will need to apply for a Unikey, which can be request via the animal ethics website Link to Request a Unikey page. Once you have a unikey, you can on the animal ethics website to request access to IRMA.
How to pay
If the ethics administration fee is to be paid from a University account, you will need to provide the project account code with the ethics application so that the fee can be charged via a journal transfer.
If the fee is being paid from an external account you will need to provide the relevant contact details (company name, contact person, telephone, email and mailing address) to which the invoice should be forwarded.