According to the Australian Code of Practice for the Care and Use of Animals for Scientific Purposes (2.2.11):
“The AEC may establish an executive that must include at least one member from Category C or D who:
(i) may approve minor modifications to projects for review at the next AEC meeting;
(ii) may not approve new proposals.”
At the beginning of each year, the University of Sydney AEC appoints (by nomination) a sub-committee from its members called the Executive.
Composition of the Executive at the University of Sydney
The AEC Executive consists of representatives from all categories. Each year, the AEC is asked for nominations for membership on the Executive for the following categories:
- Category A
- Category B
- Category C
- Category D
Role of the Executive
The Executive has been established to:
- streamline the animal ethics process and increase the efficiency of the AEC and
- reduce workload on the AEC thus allowing additional time for discussion of ethical considerations, invitations to researchers and continuing education.
The role of the executive is to:
- review responses to conditions on applications and/- modifications
- approve minor and straightforward modifications to protocols including minor changes to procedures, animal numbers or strains
- approve the additions/deletions of associate investigators
- review annual reports
All decisions by the Executive are reviewed and ratified by the entire AEC at the next meeting.
Executive Meeting Dates
The Executive meeting is expected to last approximately two hours and will be held on the Thursday prior to the main AEC closing date of each month which is a fortnight before the AEC meetings.
The deadline dates for submissions and meeting:
Workflow of the Executive
- Submissions in electronic format received 5 working days prior to the meeting
- Materials circulated to the members of the executive via electronic format after submissions
- Executive members to review submissions prior to meeting (2-3 hours)
- Executive meeting held one day (Thursday) prior to the submission deadline for the AEC meeting (2 hours)
- Following day, the administrative staff to complete minutes and submit to Chair for approval, submitted to AEC for ratification
- Any submissions that are outside the scope of the executive will be forwarded for considerations at the main meeting
- All decisions by the Executive are reviewed and ratified by the entire AEC at the next meeting