According to the Australian code for the care and use of animals for scientific purposes (2.3.23): "If established, an AEC Executive:
- must include the chairperson and at least one member from Category C or D
- may be delegated to approve minor amendments to approved projects or activities, for ratification at the next AEC meeting. The AEC should provide guidance on the type of activity that would be a minor amendment. A minor amendment may include a change to an approved project or activity where the proposed change is not likely to cause harm to the animals, including pain and distress
- Must not approve new applications.”
When required, the University of Sydney AEC will appoint (by nomination) a sub-committee from its members called the Executive.
Composition of the Executive at the University of Sydney
The AEC Executive consists of representatives from all categories. The membership of the Executive consists of at least one person from each of the following categories:
- Category A: Veterinarian
- Category B: Researcher experienced with the use of animals for scientific or teaching purposes
- Category C: Animal welfare member - members of or are nominated by an animal welfare organisation
- Category D: Independent member - not associated with animal-based research, and not associated with the institution except under defined circumstances
Role of the Executive
The Executive has been established to:
- streamline the animal ethics process and increase the efficiency of the AEC and
- reduce workload on the AEC thus allowing additional time for discussion of ethical considerations, invitations to researchers and continuing education.
The role of the executive is to:
- review responses to conditions on applications and/- modifications
- approve minor and straightforward modifications to protocols including minor changes to procedures, animal numbers or strains
- approve the additions/deletions of associate investigators
- review annual reports
All decisions by the Executive are reviewed and ratified by the entire AEC at the next meeting.
Executive Meeting Dates
The Executive meeting is expected to last approximately two hours and will be held on the Thursday prior to the submission deadline for the AEC meeting.
There are currently no Executive meeting dates arranged.
Workflow of the Executive
- Submissions in electronic format received 5 working days prior to the meeting
- Materials circulated to the members of the executive via electronic format after submissions
- Executive members to review submissions prior to meeting (2-3 hours)
- Executive meeting held one day (Thursday) prior to the submission deadline for the AEC meeting (2 hours)
- Following day, the administrative staff to complete minutes and submit to Chair for approval, submitted to AEC for ratification
- Any submissions that are outside the scope of the executive will be forwarded for considerations at the main meeting
- All decisions by the Executive are reviewed and ratified by the entire AEC at the next meeting