There are 2 types of modifications:
|1.||Change in personnel or funding only||For adding or removing staff on currently approved protocols or to change the funding details of your approved protocol only.|
|2.||Modification to an existing approved application||To request any other changes to your study, such as changes in procedure or study design. Note: you can also request personnel changes, changes in funding and changes in animal usage in this form.|
If you need to make minor changes to a specific approved project (e.g. to include a new drug, new species, different anaesthetic, different behavioural test, different housing) you need to submit a request for modification by completing a modification form in IRMA
Please refer to the step-by-step guide for modifications.
If major changes to the project are required that significantly deviate from the original hypothesis or there is a substantial increase in animal numbers, then a new protocol application should be completed and submitted in IRMA. If in doubt about whether a new application is required then please contact the Ethics office.
Examples of modifications
- Adding or removing an investigator.
- Minor change to the number of animals required.
- Change in the dose rate or route of administration of a substance.
- Minor changes to a currently approved technique.
- Change to the strain or age of animals required.
- Change in the type of anaesthetic drug to be administered.
- Changes to housing, housing location or monitoring of experimental animals.
Urgent or unexpected modifications
- This is a very rare situation and most often it is a one-off event
- Examples include: change in anaesthesia during the project, or change of animal location (eg in emergencies)
- Contact the Ethics Office in the first instance (ideally within 24 hours)
- You may need to submit and adverse/unexpected event form
- If the event changes the procedures, you will be required to submit a modification form.