If you need to make minor changes to a specific approved project (e.g. to include a new drug, new species, different anaesthetic, different behavioural test, different housing) you need to submit a request for modification.
This request will be considered by Executive Committee and ratified by the full AEC.
If major changes to the project are required that significantly deviate from the original hypothesis or there is a substantial increase in animal numbers, then a new protocol application should be submitted. If in doubt about whether a new application is required then please contact the Ethics office.
Examples of modifications
- Adding or removing an investigator.
- Minor change to the number of animals required.
- Change in the dose rate or route of administration of a substance.
- Minor changes to a currently approved technique.
- Change to the strain or age of animals required.
- Change in the type of anaesthetic drug to be administered.
- Changes to housing, housing location or monitoring of experimental animals.
Urgent or unexpected modifications
- This is a very rare situation and most often it is a one-off event
- Examples include: change in anaesthesia during the project, or change of animal location (eg in emergencies)
- Contact Research Integrity in first instance (ideally within 24 hours)
- May need to submit and adverse/unexpected event form
- If the event changes the procedures, you need to submit a modification form.
||Change of staff form (DOC)
||For adding or removing staff on currently approved protocols
||Changes of title form (DOC)
||To change the title of your approved protocol or to add on grant title
||Modification form (DOC)
||For all other changes to approved protocols including time extension, new strain, increase in animal numbers and changes to procedures that relate to the original hypothesis
Please provide 1 original and 1 electronic of the modification form to be submitted to the Animal Ethics Committee.