How to apply for human ethics approval
- Check that you should submit your application to the University of Sydney
- Review the questions (PDF) that will be on the application and prepare your answers.
- Review the Guidelines for help with specific topics
- Consult the National Statement on Ethical Conduct in Human Research
- Clinical Trials: Consult the Clinical Trials website and Clinical Trial submission deadlines if the study involves a CTN or CTX
- You will need a Unikey and access to IRMA.
If you don't have a Unikey, request one online. To request access to IRMA, complete this online form.
- To request changes to your IRMA profile, complete this online form.
- Prepare your supporting documentation.
- Participant Information Statement and Consent form templates
- Tips for Obtaining Ethics Approval
2. Complete the application online
- If this is the first time you have submitted online you may wish to view the IRMA how-to videos.
- Log in to IRMA to create a new application form.
- Please make sure that you upload the Participant Information Statement (PIS), Participant Consent Form (PCF), interview questions, letters/emails of invitation, questionnaires, safety protocols and other supporting documentation under the "Documents" tab before submitting your application.
- Make sure all internal investigators, including students, are listed on the coversheet. This includes the person submitting the form. Please ensure the number of internal investigators includes the Chief Investigator. If external investigators are involved please upload the External Approvers Form with the required signatures.
- Submit your application for authorisation.
3. Approval Declarations (sign off)
After you submit your application the relevant signatories need to complete the online approval declarations (sign off). You need to allow enough time before the submission deadline for sign off. Find out more about approval declarations and how they work.