Report a complaint, breach or appeal

Lodge a complaint, report a breach, or request an appeal
If you wish to lodge a complaint, notify the University of a research ethics breach, or request an appeal against an HREC review please contact:

The Manager, Ethics Administration
Margaret Telfer Building (K07)
University of Sydney
NSW 2006

T: + 61 2 8627 8176
F: +61 2 8627 8177

Complaints and breaches can be lodged by phone, mail, email or in person. Appeal requests must be submitted in writing, stating the grounds of the appeal.

Not happy with the outcome of a complaint, breach or appeal?

If you are not happy with the outcome of a complaint, breach notification or appeal request after it has been reviewed by the University of Sydney HREC, you have the right to refer it to an independent third party for review, as per section 5.6.5 of the National Statement on Ethical Conduct in Human Research. Please contact the Manager of Ethics Administration (see above) who will refer the matter to the independent third party on your behalf. You can find out more about this process here .