Early Career Fellowships
Want to apply?
If you intend to apply for an Early Career Fellowship at the University of Sydney you must get support from the Head of School or Discipline in the area in which you wish to work. Please obtain this support in writing before you commence your application in RGMS. If you need further information about this please contact Sherridan Blackman.
|Early Career Fellowships
||Applications open: 4 February 2015
Internal closing date: 16 March 2015
Application due at NHMRC: 1 April 2015
Applicants must hold a PhD or intend to submit their thesis by 31 December 2015. At 30 June 2015, they must have held their PhD for no more than two years unless a career disruption exists (due to pregnancy, major illness or carer responsibilities including parental leave). Exceptions include clinical ECFs, where a four year limit applies, and Health Professional ECFs, where there is no time limit.
|Changes to the scheme
- The types of documents that will be accepted as evidence of career disruption have been specified.
- Part-time fellowships can now be applied for at up to 90% of a full-time position.
- The citizenship requirement must be met at time of acceptance, rather than at commencement of an award.
- Record of academic performance is no longer required as part of the application.
- Funding is for four (4) years at TSP1 Level, currently $73,661 pa for salary plus $5,000 pa for maintenance while based in Australia.
- If appropriate, clinical loadings (up to $15,000 pa for medical practitioners, up to $7,500 pa for dental practitioners) will be paid (rates are based on whether the Fellow is engaged in clinical practice; pro-rata rates apply for part-time research).
- Contact the relevant Head of School or Discipline and obtain their written support for your application
- Read How to apply for an NHMRC scheme and Prepare a proposal before you start
- Read the NHMRC reference material
- Gain access to RGMS
- Complete application in RGMS and submit draft proposal to Research Grants and Contracts (contact details below) by internal closing date. Draft consists of:
- 'Assessor snapshot' generated from RGMS
- Proposed Research PDF (uploaded to Part B: Proposed Research)
- Complete Research Proposal Clearance Form
- If you are applying for a co-funded ECF with MSRA or Heart Foundation Australia, please submit your additional application forms to the co-funder by their deadline (April 24 for HFA, April 26 for MSRA)
- Ensure your referee submits their report by the application due date – the person who will be supervising you in 2015 will need to complete the referee report
- Submit complete final NHMRC ECF application by final application due date
University of Sydney resources
Copies of successful applications from previous years are available at the Research Portfolio Reception Desk, Level 6, Jane Foss Russell Building. Call 8627 8111