Importing,exporting and transferring animals

How to import animals from overseas

Please contact before making any arrangements to import animals from overseas.

Note that AEC approval must be obtained in advance for the breeding and/or use of any animals to be imported.

LAS does not charge a fee for managing animal imports but researchers are required to meet all the direct costs including permits, animal purchase, transport, quarantine and customs fees. The only cost met by LAS is that of statutory blood testing since this forms part of our broader animal health surveillance program.

Exporting animals

Procedures for exporting animals are complex and vary according to the country of destination.

Please contact before making any arrangements to export animals overseas.

LAS does not charge a fee for managing animal exports but researchers or their overseas collaborators are required to meet all direct costs including transport and statutory fees.

Transfer animals between institutions within Australia

To transfer animals between institutions, please complete an Animal Shipping form (DOC) and submit it to .

Under NSW regulations, LAS is required to record all animal transfers and notify details to the AEC; transfer of animals without correct reporting is a breach of animal research legislation.

Transfer animals between facilities at the University of Sydney

Animals must not be transferred between facilities without written approval from LAS. This is essential to avoid the risk of spreading infection between animal populations. If you wish to transfer animals between facilities, please email either or the supervisors of both animal houses concerned.