Getting started

Getting started in your degree involves finding the staff, facilities, resources and services you need to embark on your work with confidence and support.

Please familiarise yourself with the important information below:

Academic Support

All academic matters should, in the first instance, be referred to your Academic Advisor or Course Coordinator, if you are a coursework student, or your Research Supervisor, if you are a research candidate. These people are designated to support students within their degrees.

Serious or sensitive matters may be raised with the Associate Dean (Learning and Teaching) or the Director of SCA Graduate School.

Administrative Support

The University Current Students pages will provide you with information on many aspects of your study, money matters, support and popular system logins. You can also contact Student Administration Services for all student-related enquiries.

SCA Current Student pages will provide with Faculty-specific information like requirements and assessments, graduate attributes, student exchange program, scholarships, AV loans, campus access etc.

To assist you in the administration of your enrolment and assessment you can also consult Arts and Social Sciences Handbook. Additionally, honours students can download BVA (Honours) Course Guide and research candidates can refer to resources, forms and guides.

Campus Access & Studios

General information on campus access hours for students, parking permits and accessibility is available here

SCA provides you with studio spaces and/or facilities in which to undertake your creative work. Before you can access these facilities you must participate in a studio induction. This studio induction will take place in the first two weeks of semester with your nominated Studio Technical Supervisor. Research students (MFA and PHD) must also complete the studio request form.

In order to use the SCA Workshop you must undertake an introductory program on workshop practice and safety with the SCA Workshop Manager.

IT & Communications

Information and Communications Technology (ICT) provides a wide array of IT services and support to students at Sydney, especially designed so you get the most out of your student experience on campus.

The Student IT website contains information about those services and how to access them, including your accessing and/or re-setting your Unikey account, email log-in, wireless internet access and computer lab locations and hours.

If you encounter any problem with your personal UniKey account (MyUni), you should report it to the ICT Helpdesk. SCA staff will not be able to assist with these types of matters.

ICT Helpdesk

Phone: 1800 SYD UNI (1800 793 864) (in Australia)
and +61 2 8627 1444 (outside Australia)
Website: Student IT
Business Hours: 8am-9pm (EST), Monday to Friday (excluding public holidays)


If your unit of study coordinator has provided you with a unit of study website, you will find the site by logging into the LMS at The Sydney eLearning website also contains a lot of information to help you to navigate your unit of study websites.

SCA Library

You should familiarise yourself with the SCA Library as soon as you can. The Library holds a specialist collection of resources relating to the theory and practice of contemporary visual arts, and image research.

SCASS - Sydney College of the Arts Student Society

SCASS gives SCA students opportunities to build relationships, gain professional practice knowledge and experience, and to live the love of art while learning.


Research Supervision (for research candidates)

All research candidates are appointed a research supervisor and at least one auxiliary supervisor. Your research supervisor takes the primary responsibility for your candidature, helps you understand the University's requirements for your degree and supports you in completing your project successfully and on time.

In your first two meetings with your supervisor you should discuss:

  • The role of your supervisor and auxiliary supervisor
  • Your research proposal
  • First tasks for your project, including any need for ethics approval
  • Expectations/milestones for the first year
  • Expectations regarding the nature and frequency of your supervision meetings
  • How you would like to receive feedback on your work

You should familiarise yourself with the policy that govern the supervision of research candidates:
Supervision of Higher Degree by Research Students Policy 2013.

Other services

The University of Sydney provides a range of Student Support Services from scholarships, careers advice, and child care through to counselling, psychological and disabilities services.

The Learning Centre provides face-to-face and online workshops on academic writing, giving presentations, planning and writing a literature review and thesis, and time management.

SRC, Students’ Representative Council, offers offers undergraduate students autonomous and confidential advice on matters such as Youth Allowance and Centrelink, academic appeals, tenancy advice, harassment and discrimination, plagiarism and misconduct and more.

SUPRA, the Sydney University Postgraduate Representative Association, is an independent representative association providing advice, advocacy and support services to the postgraduate students at the University. SUPRA's publications include the Postgraduate Survival Guide and The Thesis Guide.