Scholarships for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students
University of Sydney Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Scholarships
- University of Sydney Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Entry Scholarship
- University of Sydney Indigenous Progress Award
- The University of Sydney Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Breadwinners Programme
- Indigenous Commonwealth Scholarships
- Indigenous Australian Advertised Bursaries
- Konstantin Gawrilow Scholarship
Many faculties provide their own scholarships. Check the Faculty scholarships webpage for other scholarship opportunities.
External Scholarships for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders
- Charlie Perkins Scholarships
- The Aspiration Initiative
- Roberta Sykes Indigenous Education Foundation
- Margaret Ida Howie Scholarship for Women
- Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Pharmacy Scholarship Scheme
- Australian Rotary Health Indigenous Health Scholarships
- Australian Medical Association Indigenous Peoples Medical Scholarship
- Teacher Education Scholarship Program
- Australian Psychological Society Bendi Lango Bursary
- Nursing and Allied Health Scholarships and Support Scheme
For: Students of Australian Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent who have obtained an Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) in the NSW Higher School Certificate (or equivalent) of 85.0 or above and who are commencing the first year of an undergraduate award course at The University of Sydney through the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC).
A confirmed offer of a scholarship must be taken up by enrolment in the first year of the nominated degree or combined degree program in the year for which the offer is made. The Scholarship may be deferred for up to one year.
Value: $10,000 tenable for one year only paid in semesterly instalments subject to enrolment.
No application required
For: students who are of Australian Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander descent who meet the following criteria:
- are enrolled full-time in an undergraduate award course, including diploma (undergraduate) at the University of Sydney, as at 31st March.
- have completed a full-time study load in an undergraduate award course, including diploma (undergraduate), with an Annual Average Mark (AAM) of 65.0 or higher in the previous academic year; or for units of study where marks are not given, students must meet the requirements of all units
No application required
Commonwealth Scholarships (CS) assist Indigenous students from low socio-economic backgrounds, who are Australian citizens, with costs associated with higher education.
Types of Commonwealth Scholarships available:
- Indigenous Commonwealth Education Costs Scholarship (ICECS) - $2,543 (indexed annually) for up for four years
- Indigenous Commonwealth Accomodation Scholarships (ICAS) - $5,087 (indexed annually) for up to four years
- Indigenous Access Scholarship (IAS) - $4,823 ((indexed annually) once in a lifetime payment
How to apply: Submit an application for Equity Scholarships via UAC
Closing date: Wednesday, 6 January 2016, 4.30pm
For: Indigenous Australian students enrolled full-time, making satisfactory progress, who are experiencing financial difficulties.
How to Apply: Apply for advertised bursaries through Scholarships and Financial Support Service.
For: Available to women of no more than 25 years of age commencing a first year course at the University of Sydney who are enrolled to study Russian language or literature (or both) at an Australian university (as these subjects are not currently offered at the University of Sydney); and either:
(a) are of Aboriginal background and (i) have no living parents, or (ii) have only one living parent, or (iii) are cared for, or were until attaining majority cared for, by one parent by reason of the desertion of the other parent; or (b) are not of Aboriginal background and (i) have no living parents, or (ii) have only one living parent.
Value: $7500 for 1 year.
How to apply: More information on the Specific Background Scholarships website.
Applications closed 31 July 2015 .