New Colombo Plan Scholarship Program
Funded by the Australia Government, the New Colombo Plan Scholarship Program (NCPSP) provides opportunities for high-achieving Australian undergraduate students to undertake study, participate in an internship/mentorship and receive intensive language training in the Indo-Pacific region.
The program also encourages students to participate in community engagement and advocacy in relation to the program.
The scholarship provides students with up to $67,000 of funding including travel and establishment allowances, a monthly location stipend as well as health and travel insurance for the duration of their overseas program.
Scholarship Programs can be conducted in the following 38 Indo-Pacific Host Locations: Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, China, Cook Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Hong Kong SAR, India, Indonesia, Japan, Kiribati, Laos, Malaysia, Maldives, Marshall Islands, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nauru, Nepal, Niue, Pakistan, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Republic of Korea, Samoa, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu and Vietnam.
Please note, extremely competitive host locations in the last round were China, Hong Kong SAR, Indonesia, Japan, Republic of Korea and Singapore. We would strongly encourage diversity when selecting your host locations.
Each year, the University of Sydney conducts a highly competitive internal selection process before nominating our top 10 candidates to the Government.
The Government then undertakes a rigorous external selection process, including interviews with senior Government and industry representatives, before determining the final recipients.
In 2016, six of our 10 nominations were accepted.
Applicants for the 2017 program need to:
- Expected to have at least a WAM of 75% average or better for their undergraduate course by the end of semester 1, 2016
- be an Australian citizen (dual citizens must be going to a third country)
- be between 18 and 28 (inclusive) years of age at 1 January 2017
- be an enrolled undergraduate student who has completed at least one year of their bachelor or honours degree, and
- plan to transfer academic credit from their overseas study towards their University of Sydney course.
In addition, the applicant's proposed scholarship program:
- needs to be a full-time study program (for which they will receive full credit)
- needs to commence overseas between 1 January 2017 and before 31 December 2017, and
- may also incorporate an internship/mentorship component of up to six months in duration, for which credit may be granted – this is not mandatory but it is favourably considered.
How to apply
Before applying, you need to read the 2017 New Colombo Plan Scholarship Program Guidelines to understand the program, eligibility requirements, selection criteria, obligations and responsibilities.
Please register by Thursday 26th May here or the below link
Download both the New Colombo Plan Scholarship Program Application Form and the New Colombo Plan Scholarship Program Referee's Report by Friday 3rd June by 11.59p.m and email the completed forms to Referees can e-mail the referees report direct to
We will then assess all applications, and shortlist candidates for an interview.
We expect interviews to be conducted on the week starting 27th June 2016
Information sessions are to be held in
|Thursday 19th May||12pm-1pm||Chemistry Lecture theatre 1|