Prizes and Bursaries
- The Cartwright/Littrell Bursaries Applications for IPP summer and Semester 1 2016 open August 11th 2015
Undergraduate and Postgraduate Coursework scholarships
- Sydney Medical School Summer Research Scholarships Close 17 September 2015
- The Zonta Club of Northern Beaches Inc. Study Grant for Women
- ACU Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan 2016 Closes 7 September 2015
- Parliamentary Library Summer Research Scholarships 2016 Close 20 September 2015
- Westpac Future Leaders Scholarship Closes 30 September 2015
- The Royal Agricultural Society of NSW Foundation Scholarships 2016 Close 30 September 2015
- A Better Australia Scholarship 2015 Closes 31 December 2015
- Zado’s 2015 High Achievers Scholarship Program Closes 31 December 2015
- AHEPA Ippokratis Medical Awards 2016 Closes 31 December 2015
- The Defence University Sponsorship
- Young Carer Bursary Programme 2016 Closes 28 September 2015
- The Australian Federation of Graduate Women - ACT Branch Accommodation Bursary Closes 30 October 2015
Sydney Medical School is offering up to 60 scholarships that provide a unique opportunity to obtain experience in real research. The scholarships offer students the experience of working with well-established researchers and high-quality medical research facilities, and exposure to undertaking research that might not be available elsewhere.
The scholarships are open to full-time, currently enrolled undergraduate students or students undertaking a professional degree from any faculty. Students are not required to be studying medicine, and many successful candidates come from Science, Mathematics, Engineering & IT, Pharmacy and other Health Sciences.
For more information and how to apply, please visit the Sydney Medical School website.
Closing date: 17 September 2015
The Zonta Club of the Northern Beaches Inc. are seeking applications for a study grant from women who reside on the Northern Beaches, are experiencing hardship/financial difficulty and who are currently studying at a tertiary level.
The objective of the study grant is to provide Northern Beaches women with some funding so that they can achieve a successful outcome with their studies at a tertiary level.
- Must reside on the Northern Beaches
- Must show evidence of hardship and financial difficulty
- There must clear evidence of successful completion of twelve months of study in the current course of study
How to apply: Fill in the application form and return to:
Status of Women Committee
Zonta Club of Northern Beaches
PO Box 1088
Mona Vale NSW 2103
The Defence University Sponsorship is the perfect way to make university life more manageable and provides you with the opportunity to make a difference in your degree. The sponsorship is available to undergraduate or graduate students studying an accredited degree at any recognised university in Australia. As a sponsored student you will receive a salary to study, your HELP and student fees covered from when sponsorship starts and many other benefits. For more information please visit the Defence University Sponsorship website.
The Young Carer Bursary Programme is a national programme administered by Carers Australia. The aim of this bursary is to increase the opportunity for young carers to remain in, or return to, education. For further information please visit http://bursaries.youngcarers.net.au/.
Eligibility: You are eligible to apply for a young carer bursary if you:
- are a young carer aged 25 years and under (for the whole of 2016 - born in 1991 or later for the 2016 Bursary year);
- are studying an undergraduate degree, whether full-time or part-time in 2016;
- are not in receipt of another bursary or scholarship;
- are not already qualified with a Degree or Advanced Diploma; and
- are an Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident.
How to apply: Applications can be completed via the on-line application form on the young carer bursary website at http://bursaries.youngcarers.net.au/.
Closing date: 28 September 2015
The Australian Federation of Graduate Women – ACT Branch is offering residential accommodation for up to four weeks at the Australian National University, Canberra to a woman graduate or final year honours student from a university or equivalent institution in Australia, New Zealand, Papua-New Guinea or South Pacific countries. Preference may be given to applicants who are members of the International Federation of University Women. Canberra residents are ineligible. The Bursary will be available during 4 to 30 January 2016.
For further information and how to apply, please download the application form.
Closing date: 30 October 2015
These bursaries were established in 2015 by a donation from Dr. Kimberly Cartwright and Mr. Charles Littrell.
Eligibility: There are multiple bursaries available to full-time students who have been accepted into the Local Industry Placement Program in the Business School and require financial assistance to meet student expenses in order to undertake this unit of study.
Applicants must demonstrate financial disadvantage by providing a written statement of your financial position and circumstances. Please also attach any relevant documents if applicable, such as means-tested Commonwealth benefits (including AbStudy, Austudy, Youth Allowance, or means-tested pensions).
Award Amount: $2500 each
How to apply: Application will be through your Student Portal.
- Log in to MyUni, using your Unikey and password, then click on the blue Sydney Student icon on the left side of the page.
- Go to the My Finance tab at the top of the page then click on Scholarships, Prizes, Bursaries and Loans.
- Under the Applications Tab, click on the Advertised Bursary Application and follow the prompts.
- You can only submit one application and you will not be able to return to your application to update it once it has been submitted.
Closing date: 24 August 2015
The Expert Editor awards one $1000 scholarship each year to a student in Australia intent on making the country a better place.
Eligibility: To be eligible for this scholarship, you must meet the following criteria:
- A student (undergraduate or postgraduate) currently enrolled in a degree.
- An Australian citizen, or permanent resident. International students are welcome to apply, but they must demonstrate how they will see through their change-making agenda after they graduate.
How to apply: To be awarded this scholarship, students must outline in around 200 words how they intend to change Australia. Please email your entry to and include your name, university and contact details.
For more information, please visit the Expert Editor scholarship website.
Closing date: 31 December 2015
Zado is offering high achieving university students a scholarship to be used towards tuition fees, book expenses and/or any other verified institutional costs.
Eligibility: Provided they meet the following conditions, we welcome all students to apply regardless of their geographical location:
- Students must be enrolled full-time or part-time at an accredited education institute.
- Students must be studying a Bachelors, Masters, Honours or Postgraduate Degree.
- Students must have a Credit Average WAM or higher across all their subjects.
- Students must be Australian Citizens or Australian Permanent Residents.
We actively encourage students from rural locations to also apply.
Award amount: Zado will award the winning student with $2,000.
How to apply: Students should apply via email to , with the subject as “Your Name – 2015 Scholarship Application.” Students will also need to ensure that the following has been attached in a SINGLE document:
- A cover letter that outlines the student’s educational background, experience, skills and interests.
- The student’s latest academic transcript.
- The student’s response to the short essay question,” In 500 words or less, explain how Zado’s scholarship program will help you meet your future goals?”
For more information, please see the Zado scholarship website.
Closing date: 31 December 2015
“Do you have the drive to make a difference?”
Whether your focus is Asia, new technology or social change, the Westpac Bicentennial Foundation is offering postgraduate scholarships for talented, driven individuals who will commence a Masters by coursework or research or a PhD at one of the participating Australian universities in 2016.
The Future Leaders Scholarship is for people who believe in their potential to make a difference to Australia’s future in one of our three focus areas: technology and innovation; strengthening Australia-Asia ties; and enabling positive social change.
The scholarships are valued at up to $120,000 for up to three years and includes additional benefits, such as the Leadership Development Program, tailored international experiences and invitation to the Westpac Scholar’s Program.
How to apply:
Applicants must be Australian citizens or have permanent residency in Australia; and must have completed an undergraduate degree within the last five years, or will complete in the year of application.
For more information and how to apply, please visit the Westpac Bicentennial Foundation website.
Applications close 30 September 2015.
The Royal Agricultural Society of NSW Foundation is offering a range of scholarships to individuals who can demonstrate a desire to provide regional and rural NSW with a more vibrant and sustainable future. Only Australian citizens or Australian permanent residents are eligible to apply. For more information and how to apply, please visit http://www.rasnsw.com.au/Scholarships-Grants.htm.
Closing Date: 30 September 2015
AHEPA (Australian Hellenic Educational Progressive Association) is an organisation aimed at fostering Australian and Greek relations by actively promoting awareness of the Hellenic culture and language through cultural, educational, charitable and social events and activities.
The two main goals of AHEPA are:
- To promote public interest in and awareness of the Hellenic culture and language both in the Greek community and wider Australian society.
- To raise funds for philanthropic works, organisations and welfare appeals.
Chapter Ippokratis, the medical events arm of AHEPA, has a strong commitment to the provision of support in the medical field. The Chapter’s initiatives range from organising presentations by health professionals on topics such as thalassemia and diabetes to providing support in areas as medical research and aged care.
As an expression of AHEPA’s recognition of the importance of medical education, they would like to offer preferably a final year medical student the opportunity to visit Greece. It is hoped that the recipient of the award will gain an insight into the Hellenic culture and medical system and, in turn, be able to provide an optimal and culturally sensitive medical service to Australian-Greeks in the future.
- The student preferably must be a final year medical school student and of Greek heritage.
- The student must demonstrate strong academic achievement.
- The student must demonstrate a keen interest in Hellenic culture and issues such as migrant and public health.
How to apply: Please forward a one-page letter addressing the selection criteria and curriculum vitae to and/or .
For more information, please send an email to and/or .
Closing Date: 31 December 2015
The Association of Commonwealth Universities has launched a new international scholarships initiative in South Africa. In 2016, a number of scholarships are available for PhD or Master's degree study in South Africa.
For more information and how to apply, please visit ACU's website.
Closing Date: 7 September 2015
Applications are now open for the 2016 Summer Research Scholarship round. Scholars have the opportunity to spend six weeks in the Parliamentary Library in Canberra conducting research on a topic of relevance to the Commonwealth Parliament. Students of public policy, political science, history, law and economics will have a particular interest in the Scholarship.
Eligibility: Applicants must be:
- currently undertaking an honours or postgraduate degree at an Australian or foreign institution
- Australian citizens or Australian permanent residents
Amount Awarded: There is a one-off payment of $1,800 for the student on completion of the scholarship. Please note that there is no financial support available for travel or accommodation.
Please see the Parliamentary Australia website for further information and the application kit.
Closing Date: midnight on 20 September 2015