Prizes and Bursaries
- Per Capita Young Writers' Prize Closes 10 July 2015
Undergraduate and Postgraduate Coursework scholarships
- Campbell Weston Perry Indigenous Postgraduate Scholarship 2015 Closes 31 July 2015
- Specific Background Scholarships 2015 Close 17 July 2015
- Littrell-Cartwright International Exchange Scholarship 2015 Closes 24 July 2015
- The Zonta Club of Northern Beaches Inc. Study Grant for Women
- The Lend Lease Bradfield Urbanisation Scholarship Closes 24 July 2015
- A Better Australia Scholarship 2015 Closes 31 December 2015
- Zado’s 2015 High Achievers Scholarship Program Closes 31 December 2015
- AHEPA Ippokratis Medical Awards 2016 Closes 31 December 2015
- The Defence University Sponsorship
A full-time postgraduate scholarship is available for a suitably qualified candidate with an honours degree qualification, who is currently undertaking postgraduate coursework or a postgraduate research degree at the University of Sydney.
This scholarship uses donated funds from the estate of the late Jean Swirles, in memory of Campbell Weston Perry, the late Jean Swirles’ son.
- Applicants should have a demonstrated interest in the circumstances of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities
- Applicants must be of Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander background
Award amount: The scholarship is valued at $30,000 per annum (tax exempt), renewable for up to three years, subject to satisfactory progress. For applicants enrolled in a PhD, up to $20,000 will also be available over the candidature period to cover research expenses.
How to apply: The Indigenous Student Support Service is able to assist you with your study related enquiries by connecting you with academic staff. Please contact Ms. Mary Waria on (02) 8627 8557, or send an email to .
Please review the conditions of award, complete the application form, provide a one-page personal statement (on page 2 of the application form), attach a curriculum vitae, a copy of an academic transcript, and provide the names and contact details of at least two referees.
Submit a hard copy of the completed application form to:
Scholarships and Financial Support Services
Level 5, Jane Foss Russell Building
University of Sydney, NSW, 2006
PLEASE NOTE THAT EMAILED, FAXED OR LATE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
All applicants will be notified in writing of the outcome of their application in August 2015.
Closing date: 4:30pm on 31 July 2015
The Zonta Club of the Northern Beaches Inc. are seeking applications for a study grant from women who reside on the Northern Beaches, are experiencing hardship/financial difficulty and who are currently studying at a tertiary level.
The objective of the study grant is to provide Northern Beaches women with some funding so that they can achieve a successful outcome with their studies at a tertiary level.
- Must reside on the Northern Beaches
- Must show evidence of hardship and financial difficulty
- There must clear evidence of successful completion of twelve months of study in the current course of study
How to apply: Fill in the application form and return to:
Status of Women Committee
Zonta Club of Northern Beaches
PO Box 1088
Mona Vale NSW 2103
The Defence University Sponsorship is the perfect way to make university life more manageable and provides you with the opportunity to make a difference in your degree. The sponsorship is available to undergraduate or graduate students studying an accredited degree at any recognised university in Australia. As a sponsored student you will receive a salary to study, your HELP and student fees covered from when sponsorship starts and many other benefits. For more information please visit the Defence University Sponsorship website.
The Per Capita Young Writers' Prize is open to all Australians aged 25 years and under, and is designed to encourage thinking about, and research into, major public policy challenges facing Australia.
Award amount: The winner of the Per Capita Young Writer’s Prize will receive $3,000 and a return international flight to study overseas approaches to their selected policy issue. The winning entry will also be published by Per Capita.
How to apply: To enter, applicants must write an essay of no more than 3,000 words in response to one of Per Capita’s set questions or a question of their own choosing. For more information and to access the entry form, please visit the Per Capita Young Writer's Prize website.
Closing date: 10 July 2015
The Expert Editor awards one $1000 scholarship each year to a student in Australia intent on making the country a better place.
Eligibility: To be eligible for this scholarship, you must meet the following criteria:
- A student (undergraduate or postgraduate) currently enrolled in a degree.
- An Australian citizen, or permanent resident. International students are welcome to apply, but they must demonstrate how they will see through their change-making agenda after they graduate.
How to apply: To be awarded this scholarship, students must outline in around 200 words how they intend to change Australia. Please email your entry to and include your name, university and contact details.
For more information, please visit the Expert Editor scholarship website.
Closing date: 31 December 2015
Zado is offering high achieving university students a scholarship to be used towards tuition fees, book expenses and/or any other verified institutional costs.
Eligibility: Provided they meet the following conditions, we welcome all students to apply regardless of their geographical location:
- Students must be enrolled full-time or part-time at an accredited education institute.
- Students must be studying a Bachelors, Masters, Honours or Postgraduate Degree.
- Students must have a Credit Average WAM or higher across all their subjects.
- Students must be Australian Citizens or Australian Permanent Residents.
We actively encourage students from rural locations to also apply.
Award amount: Zado will award the winning student with $2,000.
How to apply: Students should apply via email to , with the subject as “Your Name – 2015 Scholarship Application.” Students will also need to ensure that the following has been attached in a SINGLE document:
- A cover letter that outlines the student’s educational background, experience, skills and interests.
- The student’s latest academic transcript.
- The student’s response to the short essay question,” In 500 words or less, explain how Zado’s scholarship program will help you meet your future goals?”
For more information, please see the Zado scholarship website.
Closing date: 31 December 2015
“Are you the next Bradfield?”
The Lend Lease Bradfield Urbanisation Scholarship has been established thanks to the generosity of the property and infrastructure solutions company.
John Bradfield is known to many as the father of modern Sydney. He was an engineering visionary whose ideas shaped the direction of Sydney. His Ph.D. thesis, written while a student in the School of Civil Engineering, describes not just the need for a Sydney Harbour Bridge but also for a transport system - rail and road – extending to the foot of the Blue Mountains.
When Bradfield came to the University of Sydney from Ipswich on a scholarship in 1886, he was one of only three engineering students. He graduated with First Class Honours in 1889, won the University Medal with his Masters of Engineering in 1896, and won the University Medal again in 1924 with his Doctorate of Science in Engineering. He remained involved with the University as a Fellow of the University Senate from 1913 to 1943, and was Deputy Chancellor in 1942.
The Lend Lease Bradfield Urbanisation Scholarship recognises and honours Bradfield’s work. It aims to encourage academic excellence and creativity in first and second year undergraduate students in studies related to urbanism including urban development, urban planning, urban design, project finance, project/facilities management or engineering.
Please read the Terms and Conditions before you apply.
The applicant must submit an online application and provide an academic transcript, and a summary (up to 1000 words) of their idea of “how to turn Sydney into a great 21th century metropolis”.
If short-listed, applicants must:
- Present their idea within 3 minutes (using a prop, diorama, PowerPoint, or short video) to a selection panel which will include the University’s Vice-Chancellor, faculty representatives and Bradfield Group representatives (including the CEO of Lend Lease).
Applications close 24 July 2015 and late applications will not be accepted.
AHEPA (Australian Hellenic Educational Progressive Association) is an organisation aimed at fostering Australian and Greek relations by actively promoting awareness of the Hellenic culture and language through cultural, educational, charitable and social events and activities.
The two main goals of AHEPA are:
- To promote public interest in and awareness of the Hellenic culture and language both in the Greek community and wider Australian society.
- To raise funds for philanthropic works, organisations and welfare appeals.
Chapter Ippokratis, the medical events arm of AHEPA, has a strong commitment to the provision of support in the medical field. The Chapter’s initiatives range from organising presentations by health professionals on topics such as thalassemia and diabetes to providing support in areas as medical research and aged care.
As an expression of AHEPA’s recognition of the importance of medical education, they would like to offer preferably a final year medical student the opportunity to visit Greece. It is hoped that the recipient of the award will gain an insight into the Hellenic culture and medical system and, in turn, be able to provide an optimal and culturally sensitive medical service to Australian-Greeks in the future.
- The student preferably must be a final year medical school student and of Greek heritage.
- The student must demonstrate strong academic achievement.
- The student must demonstrate a keen interest in Hellenic culture and issues such as migrant and public health.
How to apply: Please forward a one-page letter addressing the selection criteria and curriculum vitae to and/or .
For more information, please send an email to and/or .
Closing Date: 31 December 2015