Notes on the meeting of the Alumni Steering Committee
Held on Thursday 15 July 2010 at 4.30 p.m. in Room 420, Heydon-Laurence Building (A10)
Present: Mike Thompson (Chair), Carla Avolio (Science Communicator), Dieter Hochuli
Robyn Overall (Head of School), Jacquie Herbert, Warwick Angus, Roz Hinde, Peter Weston, Simon Borg-Olivier
2. Alumni function for 2010
- CA and MBT had to choose the date of the Alumni Function to meet the deadline for the University’s Alumni Newsletter. The date will be Friday 29 October from 6.00 – 8.00 pm.
- After some discussion about theme slogans, it was decided to put that on the agenda for the next meeting and to circulate a call to alumni for suggestions. After the slogan is determined, CA will work with Chris Angwin from the Science Marketing Team to design an invitation, as he did last year. The invitation will make it clear that it is a family friendly event.
- Charles Birch theme – CA to contact Peter Farley about obtaining material
- DH suggested that we create the opportunity to video views of those attending the event about a range of topics, including why they attended and recollection of their time in the School. More details for that idea would be discussed at the next meeting.
- CA will organise bookings for: the venue, band, catering. After discussion about catering and evaluation of the last two events, it was decided to again recruit current PhD students to help with setting up and being waitstaff, but that CA would investigate the use of a professional person to work in the kitchen.
- Marketing would include: School’s Newsletter, the e-mail “tree” of known contacts, the Alumni Webpage on the School’s web site, setting up a Facebook page in the last month, and advertising in e-Sydney on October 13th.
- CA will investigate an event management system for alumni to register their attendance at the Function through either or both the Alumni Office or Science Faculty Marketing Team.
3. Next Meeting
- DH will chair the next meeting in MT’s absence, to be held on August 2nd, 5:00pm – 6:30pm in School office.
- In addition to arrangements for the October function, agenda items will include the objectives and mission of an alumni chapter, School’s 50th anniversary, surveys of alumni, and audio-visuals at the October function.
The meeting closed at 5.15 pm