Safety Information - Field Work Resources
Welcome to the School’s starting point for staff and students embarking on field work in the School of Biological Sciences.
In this section you will find information and links on the following matters:
- What to do prior to commencing field work
- Field work procedures and safety guidelines
- Area specific hazards
- Volunteer registration policy and register
- Using school vehicles
- General information on how to complete tasks in the school; eg how do I order items? How do I get assistance with my computer?
- A toolkit with downloadable documents on risk assessments, field work policies and examples of completed risk assessments
Prior to commencing any work in the field you will need to ensure that you have been inducted and the original paper work kept by the supervisor and a copy kept by the school’s safety officer.
Your supervisor should also have alerted you to any specific area risks. Area specific risks will also be listed on the hazardous area signs located on the door to all laboratory areas.
You will also need to complete appropriate risk assessments for tasks that you are going to undertake in your lab. Examples of risk assessments can be downloaded here
Please make sure that you review the field work procedures and safety guidelines. A current unikey account is required to access this information
Before any volunteers start work in your area you will need to ensure that they are registered with the School and that they have read and abide by the School’s Volunteer Policy which can be downloaded here.