Benefactors




The School of Chemistry would like to thank the following benefactors for their generous donations to the following funds:

Foundation for Inorganic Chemistry Fund
Alpha Chemicals (Australia) Pty Ltd
Armstrong, A/Prof Bob
Aroney, A/Prof Manuel (deceased)
Bae, Ms Carol
Beattie, A/Prof James
Boden, Mrs Elizabeth (deceased)
Chio, Mrs Hera
Connell, Dr John
Coroneo, Mr Andrew and Mrs Nicky
Cowled, Mr Lance
Docherty, Mr Reid William
Duckworth, Dr Paul
El Hassan, Mr Kaled
Freeman family
Freisleben, Dr Seruni
Friend, Dr James
Geyer, Mr Robert
Heslop, Mrs Shirley
Huq, Dr Fazlul
Irvine, Ms Sarah
Judd, Dr Robert James
Lambert-Smith, Dr John (deceased)
Lastek Pty Ltd
Lay, Prof Peter
Lindoy, E/Prof Len
Nell & Hermon Slade Trust
Pavan, Mr Roberto
Phillips, Dr Leo
Savage, Mr Tom
Suster, Mr John
Titapiwatanakun, Dr Umaporn
Vail, Mr Eric
Wang, Ms Lo-Chia
Ward, Mr Greg
Woodhouse, Mr Ian and J.M.
The Michael Bishop Award in Chemistry Fund
Barlow, Dr Thomas
Bishop, Catherine and Noela
Dawson, Dr Jeremy
Kong, Dr Benjamin
Lay, Prof Peter
Savage, Mr Tom
The Hans Freeman Lectureship Fund
Atkins, Mrs Marie
Freeman family
Hardy, Mr Andrew
Harrison (AO), Mr Stephen
Lay, Prof Peter
McInnes, Mr Rob
Savage, Mr Tom
Seale, Mr Kenneth and Mrs Lucille
Tavumi Pty Ltd
Whitelaw, Mr Ross
Whitelaw, Ms Karen
Hush Fellowship Fund
Bacskay, Dr George
Barlow, Dr Thomas
Beattie, A/Prof James
Beratan, Prof David
Buckingham, Prof David
Deev, Mr Vitali
Freeman family
Friend, Dr James
Gilbert, Prof Bob
Gready, Prof Jill
Hacobian, Dr Steven (deceased)
Larsson, Prof Sven
Lim, A/Prof Kieran
McLendon, Prof George
Meyer, Prof Thomas and Mrs Sandra
Napper, Prof Don
Petfield, Mr Gregory
Pidcock, prof Bettina
Porter, Mrs M. Jean
Ratner, Prof Mark
Solomon, A/Prof Gemma
Sproule, Mrs Aileen
Swanton, Dr David
Von Nagy-Felsobuki, Prof Ellak
Cornforth Fund for Chemistry
Bae, Ms Carol
Bellas, Dr Thomas
Boyle, Mr Dominic
Brown, Dr Roger (deceased)
Collins, Dr David John
Corrie, Dr John
Coulson, Mrs Marion
Fildes (OAM, FRACI), Dr Joyce (deceased)
Goodrich, Dr Benjamin S.
Hinde, Mr Ronald
Jurox Pty Ltd
Liedvogel, Mr Christian
Paton, Miss nacy Hearne
Pavan, Mr Roberto
Pinhey, Prof. John T
Porter, Mrs M. Jean
Ridley, Dr Anne
Sheahan, Mr Thomas
Spies, Mr Darren
Sproule, Mrs Aileen
Stutchbury, Mr John
Vaughan (AO), Dr Geoffrey
Wang, Mr Leo
Wang, Ms Lo-Chia

Scholarships and prizes

The School of Chemistry awards over $85 000 in Prizes and Scholarships each year to the best of its students. These scholarships and prizes would not be possible without the generous contributions of our benefactors.

* Mrs Brightie Phillips contributed to the first wing of Chemistry building in 1951.

Dr Alexander Boden (1913-1993)

Dr Alexander Boden was a graduate of the University of Sydney, an innovative and ethical industrial chemist, an inspirational author and editor of scholarly works, a Fellow of the University Senate, and a most generous benefactor. In 2004 the First Year Chemistry Laboratories were officially renamed the Alexander Boden Laboratories in recognition of this remarkable man.

Alexander Boden
Dr John A Lamberton (1925-2002)

Dr John Lamberton was born in Casino, New South Wales, and completed a BSc(Hons) at the University of Sydney in 1946. He then moved to the University of Queensland for a year as a demonstrator in physical and organic chemistry before moving to the University of Melbourne for a PhD, where he developed his life long interest in alkaloids. John produced some 200 research publications and was awarded a DSc by the University of Sydney in 1969. He retired in 1986. The John Lamberton Scholarships were made possible by the generous donation from Dr Lamberton’s widow, Dorothy (pictured right with John) for which the University is very grateful.

John and Dorothy Lamberton
Joan Robinson Clark (1920 - 2007)

Joan Robinson Clark was born on January 22, 1920 in Madison, Wisconsin. Joan graduated magna cum laude from Barnard College in 1943 with a degree in Mathematics. She continued her postgraduate education at Johns Hopkins University and received her Ph.D. in Geochemistry in 1958. Joan was employed by the United States Geological Survey as a crystallographer for over 25 years in both Washington D.C. and Menlo Park, California. She authored or co-authored over 40 scientific papers, and participated in cutting-edge scientific research that had widespread implications. For example, she was among the first scientists to successfully use mathematical modeling techniques that are now used in the study of advanced biochemistry and genetics to comprehend the structures of proteins. In 1960, she was awarded a Fulbright grant to conduct research for one year at the University of Sydney in Australia. She made many lifelong friends in Australia whom she visited many times during the ensuing years. She was among the first scientists to examine the moon rocks brought back by Apollo 11 in 1969. Joan attained many professional honors and was widely recognized as a distinguished scholar in her field. She received a Meritorious Service Award from the U.S. Department of the Interior in 1976 and retired in 1980. In 1999, following a generous gift, the Dr Joan R Clark Research Scholarships were established. These Scholarships provide assistance to a postgraduate student to undertake research in connection with their doctoral thesis at a leading overseas university.

Joan Clark
R J W and C G Le Fèvre

Professor R J W Le Fèvre was Head of School and Professor from 1946 until 1970 and was internationally renowned for his work in physical-organic chemistry. The CG and RJW Le Fèvre Postgraduate Student Lectures were established in 1985 following a gift of $2000 from Emeritus Professor Le Fèvre and are awarded on the recommendation of the Sydney University Chemical Society. In 1993, following a donation of $50,000 from Dr Catherine Le Fèvre, the widow of Professor RJW Le Fèvre, the RJW Le Fèvre Research Travelling Scholarship was established. This scholarship gives an outstanding female postgraduate student in the School of Chemistry the opportunity to present a paper or poster dealing with her research at a major international conference.

R.J.W. Le FevreCathy Le Fevre
Archibald Liversidge

Archibald Liversidge was born in London in 1846. After becoming an associate (1867) at the Royal School of Mines and the Royal College of Chemistry, he matriculated Cambridge in 1870. In 1872, Liversidge came to Australia as 'Reader in Geology and Assistant in the Laboratory' at the University of Sydney. In 1874 he was appointed Professor of Geology and Mineralogy and in 1882 became Professor of Mineralogy and Chemistry. Liversidge was appointed first Dean of Science at the University of Sydney (1882-1907) and was a Fellow of the Senate (1879-1904). He later became an Emeritus Professor of the University. Liversidge was Honorary Secretary of the Royal Society of New South Wales (1874-1884) and was a founder of ANZAAS (1888). Liversidge died in 1927 and bequeathed funds to support lectures in Chemistry at the University of Sydney.

Archibald Liversidge
Jack Campbell Norrie (1916-1993)

World War II pilot in RAAF, industrialist and a generous benefactor to the School in the area of organic chemistry through the establishment of the Agnes Campbell Prizes for excellence in organic chemistry.

Jack Norrie
Harold Theodore Howard (1901-1992)

Harold Howard was a graduate in Chemistry from the University of Sydney, a Chemistry teacher and a researcher. His generous bequest supports the Howard Memorial Lectures under the auspices of the Sydney University Chemical Society.

Harold Theodore Howard
*Mrs Brightie Phillips

The School is grateful to Brightie Phillips who in 1951 donated £100,000 towards the building of a first wing of the new Chemistry School. The School of Chemistry was originally located in what is now the Pharmacy Building on Science Road. It wasn’t until 1959 that the School moved into its new premises on Eastern Avenue where it stands today.

Mrs Brightie Phillips
Dr Francis Lions (1901-1972)

Dr Francis Lions graduated with a double University Medal (in chemistry and organic chemistry), a rare achievement. After working for a PhD in Manchester he became a Lecturer and Demonstrator in 1926 in the School, and remained until he retired as a Reader in 1966. Dr Lions was a Fellow of the Senate for a decade.

Dr Francis Lions
James Alexander Schofield

James Schofield, who had been an evening lecturer for nearly two decades, became an Assistant Professor, and then, on the departure of Archibald Liversidge, an Acting Professor until the arrival of Charles Fawsitt in 1909. Schofield was a graduate of the Royal School of Mines (London) and shared Liversidge’s professional interests. In 1921 Schofield was promoted to Associate Professor, resigning five years later. James Schofield’s widow, Mrs G.F.A. Schofield, left her estate of approximately £90,000 to the University in 1954 for the advancement of Chemistry.