Useful information and forms

Documents and resources

  • Safety Handbook (located under "School of Chemistry Resources").
  • Solutions Manual for "Foundations of Colloid Science (2nd Edition) by A/Prof Bob Hunter: [Chapter 1-5; Chapters 6-10 and Chapters 11-15]
  • "Francis Lions: A Memoir" by Jenny Hawkins. This book is available to School of Chemistry staff only.

School forms


Useful information about the School of Chemistry


Visitors | Students | Uni Staff (requires unikey and login).


Alchemist Society

The Alchemists Society is a University of Sydney Union (USU) club that runs social events aimed at chemistry students (and anyone else interested). Social events include weekly drinks at Hermann's, occasional BBQs, and hopefully a trivia night or two. We would very much like to hear your ideas. AGMs are held each year in March.


Bicycle rack

Bicycles may be kept in the School’s Bicycle Rack which is located in the courtyard outside the main Store. If you require a key, please see Dimetra Skondras-Silva in the front office, to arrange a Bi-Lock key via Campus Assist. Bicycles must not be stored in corridors within the School or chained up outside the building where they could cause an obstruction.


Building repairs and maintenance

Please notify your Floor Manager of any building maintenance issues (i.e. water leaks, dripping taps, faulty electrical switches, flickering lights, door locks, air conditioning and fume cupboards, cleaning services).



The School of Chemistry has a twin-cab utility for the main purpose of transporting 200L drums of flammable solvents from the solvent depot across campus to the School of Chemistry store. When not being used for this, authorised users (members of staff or nominated students) may book and drive the vehicle for other business purposes.

Anyone wishing to use this vehicle must report to the Store Technical Officers to complete an Authorisation form and provide a current, valid drivers license.  It is also necessary to book the car in advance by ringing the Store on x12739. Authorisation must be renewed annually.


Chemical inventory system

The School of Chemistry's On-line Chemical Inventory System including:

can be found under the Safety Information page.


Chemical waste disposal

It is the nature of our business that the School will generate large quantities of Chemical Waste. It is a moral and legal necessity to ensure that this waste is safely disposed of. This disposal is carried out by a contractor employed by the University for the purpose.

As they will be transporting the waste over public roads these people require a Dangerous Goods manifest detailing what they are carrying. They also need to know what to expect so that the appropriate containers are provided to ensure it is safely transported. Jeff Armstrong will prepare the lists from which these manifests are compiled every two weeks. This has to be done by midday of the Friday prior to the collection.

We have a few "short cuts" to make your lives easier but it does require intelligent use of them to ensure that safety is observed. Please take time to read the rest of this carefully. If you have any questions about your particular circumstances please ASK Jeff Armstrong before your bring it to the Store. 

The main one is the provision of a number of general category waste containers. Care must be taken with these waste containers to ensure that incompatible chemicals are NOT added to them. There have been incidents in the past where this care has not been observed.

Fully 80% or more of the waste the School generates falls into one of the following categories:

Flammable wastes

  • These include all the 'ordinary' DG Class 3 solvents with a flash point less than 61 degrees Celsius. Acceptable materials are Acetone, simple alcohols, straight chain alkanes, cyclo-alkanes and aromatic solvent not classified as carcinogens.
  • They do not include carcinogens, extremely toxic liquids, ANY Class 4 compound, etc. 
  • These containers must be placed in the Flammable liquid cabinets provided in the Waste Depot.

Halogenated solvents

  • These are usually non-flammable and are DG Class 6.1 (Toxic). Acceptable materials are Dichloromethane and Chloroform but may include analogues of these containing other halogens, this will usually be Bromine.
  • These containers must be placed on the shelves labelled "Halogenated Wastes Class 6.1" provided in the Waste Depot. They must NOT be placed in the Flammable liquid cabinets.

Mixed heavy metal wastes

  • These are AQUEOUS solutions containing an environmentally hazardous amount of any metal ion. The pH of these containers MUST be between 5 and 8 and not contain anions that will generate gases (causing the container to swell and leak). Highly toxic metals eg Arsenic, Beryllium, Mercury etc are not to be placed in these containers. It is acceptable to treat the contents to prevent gas production and bring the pH into acceptable range. You know what is in there better than anyone else will.
  • These containers must be placed on the shelves labelled "Aqueous Metal Wastes Class 6.1" provided in the Waste Depot. They must NOT be placed in the Flammable liquid cabinets.

Broken glass boxes

  • Also used to dispose of chemically contaminated gloves. Although these boxes have plastic liners, anything put these should be essentially dry as the bags can (and do) leak when torn by the sharp glass edges. Care should be taken with very large pieces of broken glass as these may penetrate the wall of the box creating a hazard to those handling it later. If possible to do so safely, large glass fragment should be further broken to reduce this risk.
  • These containers must be placed on the two sets of shelves just outside the Waste Depot.

Chemically contaminated waste silica

  • Alumina may also be placed in these containers. Basically any DRY chromatographic medium may be put in these containers.
  • These containers must be placed on the floor between the two sets of shelves in the Waste Depot.

Yellow biohazard containers and the purple cytotoxic waste containers

  • These usually contain needles and empty small ampoules.
  • These containers must be placed above the shelves labelled "Halogenated Wastes Class 6.1" 

If your waste does not fit into these broad categories then you must contact Jeff Armstrong so he can discuss how to dispose of it properly. These non-standard wastes may require additional information and will need to be documented in a different manner. Do NOT simply put your container in the waste depot and hope it will not be noticed - it WILL be. Just about any any waste can be disposed of with care. Some may require 'working off' to render them harmless (or at least less harmful) before they can put into the waste stream but there is very little that we cannot dispose of at all.

If you have any questions ASK. It is much less trouble than trying to deal with a mess. In the interests of minimising waste being kept in the laboratories; wastes generally may be brought to the Store any time the outer doors are open usually between 0830 and 1600.



The ChemPortal is the internal gateway to The School of Chemistry Research Facilities and Workshops. It is specifically designed for staff and students of the School of Chemistry who require information about, and access to the extensive range of specialist services offered within the School.

You can use the ChemPortal to gain access to individual Facility and Workshop websites in order to:

  • Make a resource booking, such as booking time on a mass spectrometer or IR spectrometer
  • Submit and track a sample for analysis by Facility analysis services
  • Submit and track a job request to the Mechanical Workshop
  • Order some laboratory consumables such as NMR solvents and tubes
  • Complete and keep track of your training records
  • View the latest information about Facility resources and upcoming training opportunities
  • Gain access to a wealth of resource materials and technical information to help with your research and studies

These pages aim to answer many of the common questions that new staff and students have about accessing the Facilities and Workshops. Also available are the contact details for all of the Professional and Technical Staff responsible for managing the Facilities and Workshops.

The School of Chemistry Facilities and Workshops operate to complement all research and learning activities within the School, and we encourage any enquiries you may have regarding support for your ongoing projects.

Common room

The School’s Common Room has kitchen facilities including a microwave, coffee maker, fridge and toaster. It can be found in Room 147 on Level 1 adjacent to the vending machines. As a courtesy to others, please keep this area clean after use. This Common Room is for the use of staff and research students of Chemistry only.

Please note that drinking water should only be obtained from the potable water supply. These locations are clearly labelled.


Computer matters

IT Support within the School

The School's IT officers are Jarek Popiolkiewicz (ext 13591) and Tuan La (ext 14418), and they can be contacted for School software and for assistance in computer hardware problems. They can be found in Room 318.

ICT Services

ICT stands for Information and Communications Technology. They can be found at


Computers and Tablets (include software downloads).
You will need your Unikey login and be at a University IP to download software. In addition, the School holds some licenses for chemistry specific software (eg Chemdraw).


Corporate cards

For information on University please visit the Corporate Cards website or see the Finance Manager in Room 243.

No chemical procurement is to be made on a corporate credit card. All chemicals are to be purchased either directly from the School of Chemistry Store, or using the University Purchase Order Request system. This is to ensure the School is aware of Hazardous Substances and Dangerous Goods being delivered to the School and can take precautionary action where appropriate.

Purchases made using a corporate credit card (e.g., books, computer, stationery needs, not available through your service room) do not use the University Purchase Order Request system. All deliveries (including personal packages) are received through the Chemistry Store. If you have raised an order using the corporate credit card, you need to notify the Store of this order and its expected delivery date. Send an email to with the details of the delivery and ETA. Also, to ensure your parcel is delivered expeditiously, you should notify your supplier of the following address: School of Chemistry Store, Lane off Fisher Road, Rear of the School of Chemistry, The University of Sydney NSW 2006. Store hours for delivery: 0830 - 1600 hours. Attention: NAME OF RECIPIENT

All deliveries to the School will be opened by personnel in the Store. Should you have personal packages sent to the School and do not wish your parcel to be opened, please request your sender to mark the parcel as PERSONAL for you. The Store respects your right to personal confidentiality, but if they are not aware this is the case, then it is automatic in their process to identify all packages coming into the School that they open each package.



Local and interstate

The Main Store organises both local and interstate couriers. Please read all the information below before you contact the School's storeroom.


International shipments should be arranged directly by the person shipping the goods with an international shipping company eg, Fed-Ex, UPS, DHL, TNT, etc. In most, if not all cases, these companies will require a credit card to charge the job to. Most Research group supervisors will have a University issued credit card that can be used for this purpose. In the few cases where this is not available, the School's Finance team may be able to raise a PO request for the transaction. 

The Store can provide information, and in some cases, waybills for shipping but recommends that you contact the shipping company of your choice directly as each company will have slightly different requirements.

Safety legislation
Legislation prohibits many substances from being couriered or posted in the mail. These include chemicals or research samples that are potentially explosive, highly flammable, radioactive, or are in some other way classed as dangerous or prohibited goods. These goods must not be sent in the mail and transport by an appropriate courier is required. In all cases, the sender is responsible for assessing the hazards associated with chemicals or research samples. Advice on the classification of substances may be obtained from the Safety Committee if required.

Chemicals or research samples that are not classed as dangerous or prohibited goods may be posted or couriered nationally or internationally. It is the responsibility of the sender to sign and attach a “no dangerous goods” declaration to the parcel before it is posted. Declarations for national postage are pre-printed on Australia Post parcels available at the Post Office. Customs declarations for national postage are also available from the Post Office. In addition to the customs declaration, a Safety Data Sheet must also accompany all shipments.

Useful information on how to organize a courier
It is the practice of the Store to call a job in as soon as possible after they have received it. Additional packages cannot be added once a job is called in, that will have to be called in separately and may not go at the same time. It also costs more because you will pay a "Flag Fall" fee for each job. Please be aware that there is only one pickup per day.
If you wish to send a parcel by courier these steps should be followed:

  1. Ensure that it is packed to withstand the rigours of the journey. A good rule of thumb is to pack it so that it will survive a fall from two metres. A document listing any chemicals should be packed inside the parcel along with MSDS if available.
  2. Label your parcel with the Recipient's details; Name and physical address (no PO Box numbers or similar) using the largest possible label and font. Your name and address should be in smaller print and preferably on the back or side of the parcel. You will need to know which Account is to be charged but this does not need be on the parcel.
  3. Bring your parcel to the Store for checking and lodgment. Jobs called in after 11:00 am are unlikely to be collected that day unless the MUCH more expensive Same Day or Overnight services are requested.

Data projectors

Two data projectors are available for use in the Front Office. Dimetra Skondras-Silva can assist with bookings.



All people (whether students of the School of Chemistry, other Schools or Departments within Sydney University or external personnel) who will be undertaking casual demonstrating work within the School of Chemistry must do so under the terms of a Contract of Employment, which must be signed by the Head of School and the casual staff member BEFORE the work specified can commence. The Contract sets out the terms and conditions of employment offered, and is accompanied by a Casual Appointment form, the relevant sections of which must be completed by the casual staff member.

New demonstrators who have never worked at the University of Sydney before must also submit the following:

  • A completed Tax File Declaration form, (blank forms are available from the News Agencies in the Wentworth and Holme Buildings)
  • A completed Bank Account form. These forms can be found here under either (2) Casual staff employment (academics) or (3) Casual staff employment (general staff).
  • Photo ID (Passport or Drivers’ Licence)
  • Proof of citizenship/residency/visa (Passport or birth certificate)

Demonstrators must submit their signed contract, completed Appointment Form and if required, the items listed above, to the Front Office before they commence demonstrating. They will be provided with a signed copy of the contract for their records if requested. A second copy will be held by the School and the original will be sent to the University central pay office.

To be paid for demonstrating, casual demonstrators must complete online claim forms and complete the relevant sections in the Demonstrator’s Log Books. (Log books are held at designated locations in the Teaching Labs). Lab books MUST be signed by the relevant laboratory director (or authorised proxy) for payment to be processed. Payment for demonstrating cannot be claimed in advance. Claim forms can only be submitted for work that has already been completed.

Claim forms are completed and submitted online and training will be provided (training times will be notified by email). Once your casual contract has been processed by Human Resources, you will be sent in the mail your Unikey login name and password which are needed so you can log on to myHRonline which is the system you use to submit your claim forms. You can also view your pay slip there.

The deadline for submitting online claims is 5pm the Thursday before pay day. Forms submitted late will not be processed, and payment will not be received until the following pay period.

All queries about casual academic pay claims should be addressed to the School's Student Administration Manager ( in the first instance. Depending on the situation, she may refer you to specific personnel at the University central pay office.



You will automatically receive a university email and Unikey account as soon as your documents have been processed by Postgraduate students will continue to use their student email account, or can request for a "@sydney" exchange account. Honours students will continue to use their student email account. The School has a generic email account called "", this email reaches all current staff and students in the School of Chemistry. An "Email Distribution List" can be downloaded here or you can find it under Sharepoint's "Contact lists" then "Chemistry Contacts". Please see Dimetra Skondras-Silva if you experience any problems.

It is important that all staff and students read the "Policy on the use of University information and communication technology resources (ICT resources)".

Email distribution list:

To obtain a copy the School's email distribution list (includes "academics"; "All staff and students" etc) please contact Dimetra Skondras-Silva.


Exit procedures

On completion of your work in the School, there are a number of procedures that you need to follow and these will be set out in an “Exit Form” that will be posted/emailed to you. Procedures include such things as returning all keys, lab books and equipment. Swipe card access for staff will cease immediately after the last day of employment. Access for Honours and postgraduate students will remain for four weeks following the submission date for the thesis. Staff and honours students will have their email accounts held open for two months from the last day of employment/thesis submission date. Postgraduate students will have their email accounts held open until they are sent their degree award letter by the Faculty. See School Forms at the top of this page to download an exit form.


Fax facility

The Fax Facility (9351 3329) is located in the Front office on Level 2. Instructions on how to use the fax machine are located above the fax. If you are unsure on how to use the fax machine please ask Dimetra for help.


Glassblowing services

The School has two glassblowing services. They are:-

MG Scientific Glassblowing (Newtown)

Contact: Peter Henry


Peter was part of the Optical Fibre Technology Centre, which was one of the world's pioneering specialty optical fibre facilities, and was one of the best fabricators. He is very good with glass and enjoys being involved with projects so he takes a strong interest in optimising designs. For further help please contact your service room.


The University of New South Wales (UNSW).

Instructions on glassblowing using UNSW are:-

Cost: $70/hour plus materials. Note that we can supply materials (e.g. cleaned cones/sockets from broken glassware for reuse) and these will be kept separate for USyd jobs. The UNSW glassblower (Grant Platt) will collect jobs from the USyd chemistry store when required. To find out when Grant will be visiting the School please consult your service room staff. If consultation is required, Grant will do this when he collects jobs, but for consultations of more than 30 min in length, time will be charged at the above rate. It is anticipated that the glassblower will spend approx 50% of this time on USyd jobs.

Billing: Will be processed directly by the School’s Finance Manager, so please provide an account code on the form that you submit to the service rooms.

Ordering: will be done through service rooms.

Jobs are to be logged by service room staff with a job number according to where they are submitted (e.g. a job from level 5 will be given a number 5-001) and each job will be invoiced separately. Contact details for the person placing the job and their supervisor must be included (email/telephone) on the form.

An electronic form is available to submit jobs. If no material is to be sent across to UNSW, then jobs can be submitted electronically directly to the glassblower (contact details are on the order form). Any jobs emailed to UNSW must be copied to Jeff Armstrong, so that invoicing is effective.

Jobs that require material to be sent to UNSW should be logged at the service room, then taken to the store for collection by the glassblower with a hard copy of the order form firmly attached.

Jobs estimated to cost less than $500 have been pre-approved. Jobs estimated to cost more than $500 will be quoted for, unless written pre-approval is given by the account holder (‘No quote required’ to be written on order form.)

Logistics: When the glassblower collects jobs, he will return any finished jobs. You will be notified by email when jobs are completed and can expect to collect them from the store on the following Monday afternoon. If a job is urgently required, we can arrange to collect it from UNSW as soon as it is complete – contact Gemma Thompson if urgent collection is required.

Note: Currently jobs with a diameter of more than 4 inches cannot be completed on UNSW equipment. These will need to be sent to the Test Tube Factory until UNSW equipment is repaired.

Please ensure that any glassware you send for repair has been correctly cleaned as outlined below and is free from solvent vapour.

  • Remove all chemical residues using appropriate solvents and/or acid/base. If there is any chemical residue that you cannot remove from the glassware, do not send it for repair.
  • Physically remove as much grease as possible by wiping with a tissue.
  • Hydrocarbon grease traces can be removed with petroleum spirit/hexane/light petroleum.
  • Silicone grease is more difficult to remove - the recommended procedure is to remove the bulk with dichloromethane, then soak in a bath of hot Alconox or Pyroneg (both cleaning agents available from Crown Scientific) and scrub. (This procedure may need to be repeated.)
  • If traces of silicone grease remain, any repair job is likely to have pinholes in the glass - the glassblower has provided a sample so you can see what this looks like and this can be found in the level 5 service room.
  • If you think there may be some silicone grease remaining on your joints it is not worth trying to recycle them.

Health services

The University Health Service provides a full range of health services for staff and students. They have branches in both the Wentworth Building, x13484 and the Holme Building, x14095 and are open from 8:30am to 5:30pm weekdays. There is also a dental surgery in the Wentworth Building, 9692 8900.

The University of Sydney Sports Clinic has a variety of health services for staff and students such as physiotherapy, podiatry, massage, acupuncture, exerice physiology and dietetics.  It is located on the corner of Western Avenue and Physics Road, The University of Sydney.  Opening hours 7:00am to 6:30pm Mon-Fri and 8:00am to 12:00pm on Saturdays.  Phone:  +61 2 9351 8118.


ICT services

Visit the ICT webpage for such services as: Ask ICT; Log a job; Get help; Using the University internet; Services updates, UniKey accounts; Remote assistance; IT services; Glossary of ICT terms and Mobile device transition. Please visit here.


ID chemistry cards

It is recommended that School ID cards be displayed by staff, unaccompanied visitors, honours and postgrad students, at all times within the School of Chemistry.

The wearing of cards in any restricted space (Research laboratories, Service Rooms, and, the Store) is compulsory, as is the wearing of cards outside the hours of 7.30 am to 7:00 pm, Monday to Friday. It is strongly recommended that staff and demonstrators wear their ID cards in the teaching labs as a means of identification.

Any person found in the building after hours or in restricted space and not displaying a School ID must be challenged as to their right to be there. A satisfactory response should see them directed to display their issued card, or be sent to the Front Office for the issue of a visitors or substitute card as appropriate. An unsatisfactory response should lead to the person being asked to leave and/or University Security being called. At no time should anyone attempt to physically apprehend an intruder.

Compliance and enforcement of the policy on wearing ID is to be the same as for other breaches of security policy within the School, ie loss of after-hours access as an initial step.

To organize your School ID card please see Dimetra Skondras-Silva in the Front Office.



All salaried staff are required to submit leave requests for annual and sick leave and this is done through the HR and employment website.

Your request for leave will be automatically sent to your supervisor for approval. You will be advised by email when your supervisor has processed your request. Please see the Administration Manager in Room 206 if you have any queries.

Full-time staff are entitled to 20 days annual leave per year, accrued on a pro-rata basis.


Lecture theatre | Room bookings

Dimetra Skondras-Silva handles lecture theatre/room bookings for the School. If you’d like to use a lecture theatre or one of the smaller tutorial rooms - Room 239, Room 356 or Room 418 (School Meeting Room) - then you must book the theatre/room through Dimetra by emailing her your requirements. Dimetra will then email you confirmation of your booking. Please note that the lecture theatres are not under Chemistry control and have to be booked through University Venues, so it is not possible to know immediately whether the particular lecture theatre is available. Sufficient notice must accordingly be given for all lecture theatre bookings. LT capacity: LT1=300; LT2=145; LT3=300; LT4=145. There is a University website you can visit to see current venue bookings and this should be checked to make sure a theatre is free at the time you want before emailing Dimetra. [Link]



The Chemistry Library forms part of the Scitech Library, which is located on the ground floor of the Jane Foss Russell Building, which is adjacent to the Wentworth Building. It contains a selection of recent chemistry journals, and chemistry related books and reference works, as well as access to electronic databases and journals. Staff and student may access electronic library resources directly from their office or laboratory. An initial source of information is the Library’s web page at, and in particular your attention is drawn to “Databases and Electronic Resources” which has links to important sites such as the Chemistry database. The University of Sydney Library provides access for its staff and students to all the world’s premier databases and to over 30,000 electronic journals, and library staff in the Scitech Library or your colleagues in the Chemistry School are always willing to assist you in taking the greatest advantage of one of the University’s most valuable resources.

The University of Sydney Library is a network of libraries on all campuses of the University. Details of locations and opening hours can be found on the Library’s web site. Information skills training is offered to staff and students. Different training sessions are available at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. In addition to the vast array of resources available in the collections, documents can be obtained for you from other sources. You should register for this document delivery service. Further information is available from the Library web site.


Morning teas

Seminar morning teas

During Semester 1 and 2 there is a School morning tea at 10.30am before the Friday seminars outside Lecture theatre 4 foyer. All members of the School are welcome to attend. Free!


Academic morning tea is held every Tuesday at 10:30am in meeting room 418, Level 4.  Academics take turns in bringing treats such as cakes and biscuits etc.  Bring your own mug.  Please see Dimetra in the front office for details.

Honours, Postgrads and Postdocs

A morning tea is held fortnightly in meeting room 418 on level 4.  You will be notified by email of the date and time.  Cakes and biscuits will be provided but bring your own mug.  Free!


Parking and traffic

The availability of parking at the University varies. Staff members are eligible to purchase a parking permit for the campuses at Camperdown and/or Darlington, Mallett Street and Cumberland. You may also be able to organise a parking permit for an important visitor or in special circumstances. For more information please visit Campus Services (Parking).


Performance management and development review

All staff on probation, all full-time and part-time staff on continuing appointments and all staff on fixed-term contracts of a period greater than 12 months are required to undergo a Performance Management and Development (PM&D) assessment. This involves setting performance objectives for the forthcoming year and then undergoing an assessment of those objectives by a PM&D Reviewer at a future review meeting. Normally your supervisor will be your Reviewer. Performance objectives for the next year are also set at that meeting. Staff on probation undergo their review meeting at the end of their first 6 months. All staff are required to undergo an annual review.

Full information on the program including forms for academic and general staff can be found at Performance Planning and Development (PP&D).

Please note that all supervisors of staff are required to review their staff, and so will be required to undergo a training course. The training courses are organized by Learning Solutions.


Petty cash

Please see the Finance Assistants in room 243.


See your Service Room Technician for assistance with photocopiers or staff in the Front Office for help with level 2.
Poster printing and laminating

The School of Chemistry has the facility to print posters and to laminate them if required. The poster should be prepared as a Power Point slide in A4 page size (i.e. go to FILE then PAGE SETUP and choose the A4 paper (210 x 297) slide size). Do not attempt to customize the paper size. The printer software will enlarge the poster to A0 (841 x 1189 mm) which is the maximum size. Sizes range from A0, A1, A2, A3 etc. Posters can be emailed to Mr Tuan La at, but experience has shown that it is safer to bring them on a CD/DVD if you have the facility to do so. Tuan is located in room 318 and can be contacted on 9351 4418. Make sure you give an account code when you present the file for printing.

If you require posters at short notice, then Officeworks at 1 Ross Street Glebe can do A0 posters 7 days a week.



Copies of the School of Chemistry Order form can be obtained from your Service Room, Sharepoint (staff) and Blackboard (students). Once completed and signed, please submit to the Finance Officers in Room 243. All orders raised by students must have their supervisor’s written approval.

Orders whose value exceed $5,000 and all overseas orders are raised by external requisition through the Finance Manager and are then sent to the University Purchasing Office who issues them to suppliers. Orders whose value is $5,000 or less are raised and sent by the School. Please note orders $5,000 to $49,999 require two written quotes. $50,000 to $199,999 require three written quotes. For any orders over $200,000 a tender procedure should be followed, please refer to the purchasing policy from Purchase Order Procedures - Coverage.

Requisitions for the University Printing Service and Service Requisitions can be obtained from Shanthi Perera in room 243.

The University has Contracted Preferred Suppliers for some goods and services. Therefore you are advised to check the Purchase Order Procedures - Coverage or go straight to:

Specific goods and services acquired from an approved external supplier, included on the Preferred Supplier Schedule, are not subject to a quote or tender requirement. Preferred Suppliers should be used for the acquisition of specific goods and services where possible.

For information on University Corporate Cards please visit the following website or see Shanthi Perera in Room 243.

No chemical procurement is to be made on a corporate credit card. All chemicals are to be purchased either directly from the School of Chemistry Store, or using the University Purchase Order Request system. This is to ensure the School is aware of Hazardous Substances and Dangerous Goods being delivered to the School and can take precautionary action where appropriate.

Purchases made using a corporate credit card (e.g., books, computer, stationery needs, not available through your service room) do not use the University Purchase Order Request system. All deliveries (including personal packages) are received through the Chemistry Store. If you have raised an order using the corporate credit card, you need to notify the Store of this order and its expected delivery date. Send an email to with the details of the delivery and ETA. Also, to ensure your parcel is delivered expeditiously, you should notify your supplier of the following address: School of Chemistry Store, Lane off Fisher Road, Rear of the School of Chemistry,The University of Sydney NSW 2006, Store hours for delivery: 0830 - 1600 hours. Attention: NAME OF RECIPIENT

All deliveries to the School will be opened by personnel in the Store. Should you have personal packages sent to the School and do not wish your parcel to be opened, please request your sender to mark the parcel as PERSONAL for you. The Store respects your right to personal confidentiality, but if they are not aware this is the case, then it is automatic in their process to identify all packages coming into the School by opening each package.



The websites for the various research facilities contain full information, including charges, access, equipment available, etc). Your Service Room will be able to tell you about how to go about gaining access to these or visit the ChemPortal.

  • The University’s Research Office website: contains full information on funding opportunities, applying for grants, grant management, forms, ethics, research scholarships and research administration.

Research grants

  • It is essential that the School maintains and develops its record of obtaining external grants. External grants are not only an important extra source of direct funding, but our success in grant applications has an important impact on extra funding that the School receives from performance indicators of research strength. The following points need to be considered in submitting applications.
  • Complete a School Grant Submission Checklist form available under School forms at the top of this page.
  • All applications for grants have to be signed by the Head of School prior to submitting to the Research Office. Please give your application together with the completed Grant Submission Checklist to Dimetra in the Front Office who will organise this.
  • In budgets, it is essential that you make allowances for maintenance and personnel costs associated with any of the facilities that you will be using.
  • It is important to note that the internal closing date for grants is sooner than the external closing dates (check Research Office Website). This needs to be taken into account in your time management for the submission of applications.
  • You must complete a Research Proposal Clearance Form (Research Office Website), which will accompany each application, and must be signed by the Head of School.
  • A copy of the front page of each application should be forwarded to Dimetra for the School files (or pages containing the applicant names and budget).
  • For further information on applying for and administering research grants visit:

Research practices

  • All members of the School are required to ensure that ethical and safe research practices are followed in relation to research conducted within the School and when visiting other research facilities/institutions. A copy of the University policy in this area can be found in the Policy section of this Guide. It is essential that this policy is followed and that appropriate safety forms are completed before using new chemicals or procedures.

Research publications

  • Publication and communication is the fundamental product of academic research and scholarship. Through publication your research and work is recognised as part of the body of knowledge of your discipline. Communicating your research maximises the audience and potential use of your work. The University Library in conjunction with the Research Portfolio, provides an overview of the publishing process, things to consider and important information you need to know. For more information on where to publish and what to consider; copyright and open access and the use of your research output please visit:
  • The Australian Code for the Responsible Conduct of Research requires that all authors sign off on a paper before it is submitted and both the ARC and the NHMRC require that this code be followed when publishing research arising from grants from these bodies. The University also requires that all research conducted here abides by this code. The form provides extensive background information. Although it is not mandatory to use this form when recording authorship and contribution details of a paper, it was developed by the Faculty of Science as an optional resource for researchers in the Faculty, but ultimately it is up to individuals to decide how to manage this issue. The “Authorship and Contribution Form” can be found at: The form provides extensive background information.

Higher Education Research Data Collection by the Department of Innovation Industry Science and Research (HERDC/DIISR)

Each year, the School is required to report to the University Research Office on the number of research publications produced the previous year. This information is then collated and reported to Department of Innovation Industry Science and Research (DIISR). The Commonwealth Government then allocates funding to the University based on this data, which then comes to the School via the University’s funding formula. Each week your publications are downloaded from the ISI Web of Knowledge, ScienceDirect, Scopus and SciFinder and entered into the Research Office’s Integrated Research Management Application (IRMA) database. Please ensure that the School of Chemistry, The University of Sydney appears on the byline of the publication in order that it will be accepted by Department of Innovation Industry Science and Research (DIISR) for calculating our publications contributions to the Institutional Block Grant (IBG) and Research Training Scheme (RTS) (and hence dollars to the School). For more information about the HERDC please visit

If you have a book or book chapter published please let Anne Woods know ASAP.


Safety matters

 Please visit the Local and Safety Information page.

WHS Induction Online

The Senate Safety and Risk Management Committee has mandated that all staff, affiliates, visitors* and research students are required to complete the University's Work Health & Safety (WHS) induction complete the WHS Induction Online (in addition to the more detailed safety training that we undertake locally). 

If you have already completed this training, no further action is required. All workers who have commenced since January 2012 should have completed this course as part of their commencement/ induction.

If you have not completed this training please make sure you do so.  WHS Induction Online is run through CareerPath. To access WHS Induction Online:

  1. Log into CareerPath.
  2. Hover over My Learning (in the banner at the top, immediately below the university logo) and select Browse for Training from the menu that appears.
  3. Click Work Health and Safety (second in the list).
  4. Click Work Health and Safety Induction (this may be anywhere in the list but if sorted in alphabetical order should be second-to-last) and then Launch.

CareerPath notes ‘This online induction package will take no longer than 30 minutes to complete and will introduce you to the University’s health & safety management system.’

*Visitors who work at the Uni for short periods should complete the online WHS induction. They can self register like students.


School board

The School Board is set up under the by-laws of the University. It comprises all members of the academic teaching staff and the academic research-only staff. There are also representatives of each category of the general staff (administrative, service room, technical, and professional officers) as well as a representative of the undergraduate, Honours and postgraduate students. Any issues requiring general discussion in the School can be presented at these meetings. It meets twice each semester, and members will be emailed the agendas and minutes. See under "Committees" for links to memberships and meeting dates.



There are two series of School research seminars held during the semester:

  • the "Flagship" School series held at 11:00 am on Wednesdays and 11:00am on Fridays, and
  • a postgraduate/postdoctoral seminar series held on Mondays at 4:00 pm.

The School also holds many special seminars which are advertised in the School's Seminar Program. 

The Sydney University Chemical Society lectures are also held once a month on Wednesdays from 5:00pm.

ALL seminars will be advertised in the School's weekly e-newsletter the Friday prior to the seminar and further reminder emails will be sent to you on the day. The full year's program is kept up-to-date on the School's seminar program website. This site can also be checked to see what seminar slots are still available for a seminar speaker. If you would like to book a speaker for a particular date, you should email your request to the Seminar Coordinators which are listed at the bottom of the seminar program page.

The School holds a morning tea during Semester 1 and 2 at 10.30am before the Friday seminars outside Lecture theatres 4 – all members of the School are welcome.

To book a seminar:

School seminars (Flagships): You will need to check the seminar page for availability, then contact the seminar coordinators (see top of page) with details of speaker, institution and proposed date. If your speaker requires travel and accommodation please contact Dimetra. Please send abstract to Dimetra a week before the event so it can be advertised properly. School seminars are held on Wednesdays and Fridays at 11:00am.

Postgraduate seminars: Check for availability of Mondays then advise your supervisor, Dimetra Skondras-Silva and Anne Woods of the date. Please send abstract to Dimetra a week before the event so it can be advertised properly. Postgraduate seminars are held on Mondays from 4:00pm.

All others (known as Special seminars): You will need to check the seminar page for availability, bearing in mind that the School seminars (Wednesdays and Fridays at 11:00am) and Postgraduate seminars (Mondays at 4:00pm) are permanently booked. Once you have chosen a date and time please email details (including preferred venue; date, time, name of speaker and institution) to Dimetra Skondras-Silva and Anne Woods and the seminar coordinators. Current coordinators can be found at the top of the seminar page. Please send abstract to Dimetra a week before the event so it can be advertised properly. Please note that Dimetra has to book a lecture theatre/room so it is important to notify her of any proposed special seminars.

Separation procedures

These checklists will help you when you leave the School of Chemistry.  See also "Exist procedures".


Please visit Sharepoint and click on "School Forms" then "Checklist_Staff_Separation" (this site requires your unikey and login)


Checklist for postgraduate candidates separation (exit form) (.pdf)


Checklist for honours separation (exit form) (.pdf)


Service rooms

In the laboratory wing on each floor (the southern end of the building) there is a Service Room, each supervised by a Floor Manager and support staff. This should be your first contact point for procuring chemicals or equipment, seeking safety information or reporting building maintenance problems.


Stationary and documents templates

Stationery plays an integral role in communicating with external audiences, and some people’s first contact with the University could be through the receipt of a letter or With Compliments Slip. When people receive a letter or business card from the University, they should be able to understand where the person/sender sits within the University as well as their contact details. You can download stationary and documents for: Letterheads, Memo, Email signature, PowerPoint presentations, Research posters and much more. Please visit the University Documents and Stationary page (unikey login required).



The Chemistry School Store (requires your unikey and login) is situated on Level 1 at the South Western end of the School building. The Store holds the major stocks of acids, general chemicals and bulk solvents. Orders for items held in the Store can be made via the School’s website (go to the quick links menu and go down to Chemistry Store). The Store is also the delivery point for all items bought in on School accounts. It also arranges for local courier services. You must present your School ID card and be wearing appropriate protective clothing when collecting chemicals from the Store. See under Purchasing for requirements for delivery instructions for goods purchased on credit card. The School has an on-line chemical inventory system which can be found on the Safety Information page here. The Store opening hours for issuing of goods across the counter are: Monday to Friday, 9-11am and 2-3pm.


Sydney University Chemical Society (SUCS)

The Sydney University Chemical Society has been in existence since 1929. The lecture topics cover all aspects of chemistry and related disciplines, and are aimed at a broad audience from undergraduates to senior academics, as well as professional chemists in the public and private sectors. Lectures are typically held on the second Wednesday of every month from February to November, from 5.30 pm to 6.30 pm with an informal get together/refreshments from 5.00 pm. Full details of their program for the year can be found here.


Travel policies and procedures

For more information about the University Travel Policies and Procedures (including insurance) please visit, or see Shanthi Perera in Room 243.

Students who are travelling within Australia or overseas on University business, no matter for how short a period, must have that travel approved by the Head of School prior to leaving in order to be covered by the University’s Travel Insurance policy.

Once this form has been completed and signed by the student and supervisor, it should be dropped down to the Front Office for the Head of School’s signature. Once signed, a copy of the form will be placed on file and the original returned to the student. This form should be taken with students on their travels as should a copy of the University’s travel insurance advice, for those travelling overseas. This can be found at the following url:

Only travel that is required for the degree and that has been authorised by the Head of School will be covered.

The policy does NOT cover any associated holiday or personal travel. It is the student’s responsibility to arrange insurance for any such associated holiday / personal travel.


UniKey account

For information about your UniKey account please visit here.


Visitors to the School

All short-term visitors to the School must be directed to visit the Front Office where they are required to sign in and out of the Visitor’s Book, obtain a copy of the School’s emergency procedures and obtain a Visitor’s ID Card, which they should wear during their visit to the School. Please ensure that your visitors follow this procedure and that they sign out on their departure and return their ID card.


Weekly e-newsletter

The School produces a weekly e-newsletter which is distributed each Friday by email. It is designed to let you know "what's on" for the following week. If you are not already on the mailing list and would like to be, please contact Material you would like to include should be given to Dimetra Skondras-Silva in the Front Office by the preceding Wednesday. A full list of upcoming seminars can be found here.



The School has both electronic and mechanical Workshops. The Service Rooms will explain how you can gain access to these. You should also see your Service Room concerning your glass-blowing needs. For more information please visit the School's ChemPortal.


 If you are unsure of anything please do not hesitate to contact
the Adminstrative Team in the Front Office (room 207).