The School of Chemistry at the University of Sydney is one of Australia's leading research departments, and has enjoyed considerable success in attracting competitive research grants from the ARC and NHMRC over recent years. The School is home to a large number of Research Fellows including Future Fellows, ARC Professorial Fellows and QE-II Fellows. The research environment at the School of Chemistry is first class, making this an ideal location for researchers at all levels.
The contributions of research fellows are a key component of the Schools dynamic research and teaching environment. To ensure the School remains at the forefront of chemical research and teaching we are always keen to attract talented researchers at all levels. The School and the University have considerable expertise to assist staff in the development of competitive Fellowship applications.
The School and the University have well-developed policies to encourage researchers to take up research fellowship positions at the University of Sydney. People on research only academic positions are afforded the same access to resources as Teaching and Research Academics employed by the University at a comparable level of seniority. There is a range of sources for funding of research fellowships, which are outlined on the Research Office website. If you are interested in applying for research fellowships you should explore these sources, funding opportunities from individual members of the School and other funding sources from your home institution/country.
Three of the main funding bodies for fellowships at the University of Sydney are:
Australian Research Council
The Australian Research Council (ARC) runs a number of programs:
- Australian Laureate Fellowships
- ARC Future Fellowships
- ARC Linkage International fellowships
- ARC DECRA (Discovery Early Career Researcher Award)
National Health and Medical Research Council Fellowships
The National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) offers fellowships for health or medical related research:
Fellowships from The University of Sydney
These prestigious University of Sydney fellowships come with an additional substantial start-up grant.
The School encourages the involvement of research fellows in the supervision of Honours and postgraduate students and provides appropriate access to the large array of advanced research facilities.
Support in the form of a start-up grant is provided by the University for fellows from the categories listed below. In addition fellows in these categories will be eligible to apply for The Overseas Conference Travel Grant Scheme, and external grants such as ARC Discovery and NHMRC grants.
- ARC Australian Laureate Fellowships
- ARC International Fellowships
- NHMRC Australia Fellowship
- NHMRC Research Fellowships, including R D Wright Fellows CJ Martin Fellows Neil Hamilton Fairley Fellows, Howard Florey Centenary Research Fellows and Peter Doherty (Biomedical) Fellowship
The following fellowships are available for international applicants:.
- EU: FP7 Marie Curie International Outgoing Fellowships (IOF)
- French: Ministère des Affaires Etrangères (MAE)
- Germans: Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft Research Fellowships
- Japanese: Japan Society for the Promotion of Science Postdoctoral fellowships for Research Abroad
- Swiss: Swiss National Science Foundation Postdoctoral fellowships
- USA: National Science Foundation International Research Fellowship Program (IRFP)
- Endeavour Research Fellowships
For further information about research opportunities within the School please consult individual web pages. For further information on facilities and assistance offered to potential applicants please contact the Associate Head of School (Research), Associate Professor Lou Rendina.