international students

Find a research project and supervisor

Apply for financial support

Apply for addmission

Contact details


Find a research project and supervisor

Research degrees in chemistry are offered by 38 members of academic staff in all areas of contemporary chemistry including:

To find a potential supervisor, you should either visit the University's Research Supervisor Connect site or select one of the above links for a list of staff working in a particular area.

An overview of the research programmes and individual staff members research activities can also be found in the School of Chemistry Research Report available here.

Once you have selected a potential supervisor, you should contact them by email or phone to make an appointment. So that potential supervisors can assess your Chemistry background and hence suitability for a research project, you should provide them with a full CV, including academic record, and the names and contact details of at least 2 academic referees.

Your next step is to apply for scholarships to fund your candidature.

Back to top

Apply for financial support

Please visit our Scholarships page for scholarships currently offered by the School and the Prizes page for supplementary awards.

Tuition fees need to be paid in the calendar year you commence your course. The latest indicative tuition fees can be found:

Information on scholarships available for International students can be found on the International Office website.

The two main scholarships that cover both fees and a living allowance are the Australian Government's International Postgraduate Research Scholarships (IPRS) and the University of Sydney International Scholarships. Selection for scholarships is highly competitive. To be considered for either Scholarship, you must have the equivalent of an Australian first class honours degree (80% or better) or, for PhD applicants, a masters by research degree. You must also have a demonstrated capacity to carry out independent research through completion of a previous research thesis, relevant work experience, research publications, etc. You must be able to provide evidence of academic research experience in the last five years. Full information on Scholarship selection can be found on the Postgraduate Research Application form.

Some of the scholarships available to international students are:

International Postgraduate Research Scholarships (IPRS)

The International Postgraduate Research Scholarships (IPRS) scheme is funded by the Australian Government and provides tuition fees to top quality international postgraduate students who wish to enrol in a research degree at Australian universities. In addition to the IPRS, the University of Sydney awards an International Postgraduate Award (IPA) to IPRS holders. The IPA provides a stipend/living allowance to all IPRS recipients. The IPRS is available to students commencing in both the March and July Semesters. Full details are available from the International Office website.

University of Sydney International Scholarship (USydIS)

A USydIS covers fees and living allowance. Available for both March and July commencements. Full details are available from the International Office website.

Endeavour Australia Program

The Endeavour Awards is the Australian Government's internationally competitive, merit-based scholarship program providing opportunities for citizens of the Asia-Pacific and Middle East regions to undertake study, research and professional development in Australia. A smaller number of awards are available for participants from Europe and the Americas. More information is available from the International Office website..

Henry Bertie and Florence Mabel Gritton Research Scholarships

These are open to graduands or graduates of universities which are members of the Association of Commonwealth Universities or to graduands or graduates of any university who are either citizens of a Commonwealth country or who are permanent residents of Australia. Does not cover tuition fees. Approximately seven scholarships are funded each year. The object of the scholarships is to promote the knowledge and study of Chemistry in relation to Industry and Agriculture, including Chemistry connected with Electrical Engineering, Metallurgical Chemistry and Chemistry in its application to the Mining and the winning and treatment of minerals and natural products of the soil. Further information and an application form are posted on the Scholarships website. Information is posted in May for a Semester 2 round (if offered) and late August/early September for the Semester 1 round.

University of Sydney-China Scholarship Council Postgraduate Research Studentships

For further information click here.

Supervisor-funded scholarships

These are for living expenses only. Applicants should discuss the possibility of receiving one of these scholarships with their potential supervisors.

Please note that Gritton Scholarships and supervisor-funded scholarships provide a stipend for living expenses only and that students must make their own arrangements for the payment of fees.

The School of Chemistry offers a small number of Faculty Scholarships that cover the cost of tuition fees for outstanding students. Students who have been successful in obtaining funds to cover their living expenses should contact the Director of Postgraduate Studies, Associate Professor Lou Rendina, concerning the possibility of applying for one of these fee payment scholarships:

Your final step is to apply for candidature.

Back to top

Apply for admission

If you feel that you meet the entry requirements for postgraduate enrolment, have applied for or already have funding to cover your fees and living expenses, and have found a supervisor, then you should apply for candidature.

International students must apply through the University's International Office.

Contact details for the International Office can be found here.

The International Office will advise you on eligibility requirements, assess your academic qualifications, and advise you on whether you have the appropriate qualifications for a postgraduate degree in Chemistry at the University of Sydney.

The closing dates for applying to the International Office for those not also applying for scholarships are:

  • Semester 1 (March commencement) - 31 October of the previous year
  • Semester 2 (July commencement) - 30 April

Late or incomplete applications may be considered however, the University of Sydney cannot guarantee that late applications will be processed in time for the proposed start date.

Deadline for Scholarship Applicants

Applicants who wish to be considered for either an Endeavour International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (EIPRS) or a University of Sydney International Scholarship (USydIS) must submit their research application form to the International Office at the earlier dates specified below:

Semester 1 (March commencement)
31 July of the previous year
(successful candidates will be notified in late October/early November)

Semester 2 (July commencement)
31 December of the previous year
(successful candidates will be notified in April)

Please note that international student fees for 2012 are $35,040 per annum. See the University page describing course fees for international students for more details.

English language requirements

Applicants whose undergraduate instruction was not in English are required to demonstrate sufficient proficiency in English before admission can be considered. The University of Sydney recognises the TOEFL and IELTS English language test. For the current requirements, please see the International Offices' English Language Requirements web page. If you do not hold any of the acceptable language qualifications, you can take courses in English for Academic Purposes at the University's Centre for English Teaching.

Back to top

Contact details

The contact details for the School of Chemistry are:

Associate Professor Chris Ling

Director of Postgraduate Studies

School of Chemistry

The University of Sydney NSW 2006

T: 61 2 9351 4780



Back to top