local students

Find a research project and supervisor

Apply for financial support

Apply for addmission

Contact details

Find a research project and supervisor

Research degrees in chemistry are offered by 38 members of academic staff in all areas of contemporary chemistry including:

To find a potential supervisor, you should either visit the University's Research Supervisor Connect site or select one of the above links for a list of staff working in a particular area.

An overview of the research programmes and individual staff members research activities can also be found in the School of Chemistry Research Report available here.

Once you have selected a potential supervisor, you should contact them by email or phone to make an appointment. So that potential supervisors can assess your Chemistry background and hence suitability for a research project, you should provide them with a full CV, including academic record, and the names and contact details of at least 2 academic referees.

Your next step is to apply for scholarships to fund your candidature.

Back to top

Apply for financial support

Please visit our Scholarships page for scholarships and allowances currently offered by the School and the Prizes page for supplementary awards which are awarded on merit..
Supervisors may have grant funding available for stipend scholarships. Applicants should discuss this possibility with their potential supervisors.

Your final step is to apply for candidature.

Back to top

Apply for admission

Once you have found a research project and a supervisor who has agreed to supervise your candidature, then local students (i.e., Australian citizens including dual citizens, New Zealand citizens including dual citizens, or permanent residents of Australia) should complete an application for candidature and lodge it with the Faculty of Science, who will assess your academic qualifications and eligibility for a postgraduate degree, and confirm that a place and a supervisor is available in the School of Chemistry.

The Research Training Scheme (RTS) covers tuition fees for local research students for the following lengths of time:

Doctor of Philosophy: 8 full-time or 16 part-time semesters

Masters by research: 4 full-time or 8 part-time semester

In effect, this means that as long as local students complete their research degrees within the specified periods, they are not required to pay tuition fees. Local students are not required to apply for an RTS fee exemption since it is automatically awarded to students enrolling in postgraduate research courses. If students take longer than the specified period to complete their degree, they may be liable to pay tuition fees.

Information from the Faculty of Science on how to apply for a research degree plus an application check list can be found here. While general University information can be found here.

Back to top

Contact details

The contact details for the Faculty of Science are:

Phone: +61 2 9351 3021

Fax: +61 2 9351 4846

E-mail: science.information@sydney.edu.au


The contact details for the School of Chemistry are:

Associate Professor Chris Ling

Director of Postgraduate Studies

School of Chemistry

The University of Sydney NSW 2006

T: 61 2 9351 4780

E: chris.ling@sydney.edu.au


Back to top