How to apply


Student in laboratory

All applicants, including Honours and Graduate Diploma in Science, must apply directly to the School of Chemistry by submitting the School of Chemistry Honours Application form.

  • Local and International students: Honours commencing in Semester 1, 2019. Applications close 30 November 2018.
  • Commencement and completion dates for 2018 can be found here.

The School of Chemistry Honours online application form requires applicants to nominate preferences for supervision. When deciding on their preferences, applicants should not only refer to the information in this website, but make an effort to talk to a number of staff members about possible honours projects. Each member of the chemistry staff has selected a number of projects. These projects are intended to be examples of current research work. Most members of staff have other interesting projects available and in many cases it is possible to design a project which caters for a student's particular interests. We encourage intending honours applicants to contact potential supervisors in October. Intending applicants should phone or email the staff members in whom they're interested to arrange an appointment to discuss possible projects.

For those students thinking of continuing, after Honours, with a higher degree such as an MSc or a PhD you should keep in mind that there is a limit on the number of higher degree students that a staff member can supervise based on the level of experience of the current students in a group and what other support is available. This limit is to ensure that there is sufficient supervision for all Chemistry graduate students.

While students are strongly encouraged to undertake an Honours year in the project that they find most engaging, we mention this limit at this point just in case it is of interest for individuals. If this is the case, we encourage you to discuss this issue with the staff members with whom you are considering doing Honours or with the Honours Coordinator.

While every effort will be made to accommodate your first preference of supervisor, please note that allocation of honours and postgraduate students to individual research groups depends on space, resources and supervisor availability. Hence it is essential that you include FOUR preferences on your application form. In mid-December, you will be informed of the outcome of your application and, if successful, will be notified of your supervisor's name and contact details.

Application form for the School of Chemistry

Online application form.

Faculty of Science application process guide

For the application for Honours to Faculty you will be asked to provide proof of contact with a relevant academic (email is acceptable) in Chemistry. This can be your proposed supervisor, or can be the email you receive once you have completed the School of Chemistry's own online application process. If you are undertaking joint or double Honours, proof of contact will be required for both Honours areas. Please view the Faculty of Science "Applying for Honours in the Faculty of Science" which is separate from the School of Chemistry's online application process as outlined in steps 1 above.


Local students

David Flynn

ALL applicants (including those currently enrolled in the final year of a degree at this University) must apply to the University of Sydney. The exact procedure varies depending on the citizenship of the applicant.

Local students (citizens or permanent residents of Australia and citizens of New Zealand) must apply through the Faculty of Science. For more information on how to apply visit the Faculty of Science "Bachelor of Science (Honours)" page. For Graduate Diploma in Science applicants please visit the Faculty of Science "Graduate Diploma in Science. Click on the red "Apply" button located on the upper right hand corner of the page.

The only exceptions to this are students who have completed undergraduate degrees at the University of Sydney via faculties other than science (eg. students who have completed liberal studies, or combined degrees). Such students should consult their faculty regarding correct application procedures.

Applicants should note that the online Faculty application form does not need to be signed by a representative from the School of Chemistry. However, the Faculty process does require some evidence that you have made contact with the School.

International students

International students who are currently enrolled at the University of Sydney must complete the same steps above as the local students but, in addition, must complete an "International Undergraduate Student Application" form and lodge it at the International Office, (Jane Foss Russell Building).

External International students must apply through the International Office.