Financial information for domestic postgraduate students

This page has comprehensive information about fees, loans and scholarships for:

Domestic postgraduate coursework
Domestic postgraduate research

International student fees can be viewed here.

To enquire about the information on this page, please contact

Coursework fees

Most postgraduate coursework programs are fee-paying. View coursework fees.

Fees are payable before each semester and relate to the cost of the units of study in that semester.

Fees are currently an allowable tax deduction in some circumstances. Check with the Australian Taxation Office for more details.

Some employers have schemes for assisting with fees.

There are two types of place for a domestic postgraduate coursework student and each type has its own associated loan system to help with costs:

Commonwealth Supported Places (CSP) and HECS-HELP

In Semester 1, 2014, a limited number of Commonwealth Supported Places (CSP) will be offered in:

Course # of CSP places available
Doctor of Clinical Psychology/Master of Science 10
Master of Marine Science and Management 2
Master of Nutrition and Dietetics 20
Master of Science in Environmental Science 3
Master of Science in Coaching Psychology 4
Master of Environmental Science and Law 2
Master of Medical Physics 3
Master of Sustainability 3

There is no formal application process. Eligible applicants who submitted their complete application by the Faculty’s closing date and who have been granted a Firm Offer by Friday 10 Jan 2014 may be awarded a CSP based on academic merit. Successful applicants will be notified in early February via email. Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents or New Zealand citizens are eligible to be considered for a CSP. Recipients of the places must enrol in Semester 1, 2014 and REMAIN ENROLLED. No deferral of the CSP will be permitted.

HECS-HELP loans are available to eligible students enrolled in Commonwealth Supported Places. A HECS-HELP loan will cover all or part of the student contribution amount. More HECS-HELP information

Students who are not in receipt of a Commonwealth Supported Place will need to read the FEE-HELP information below.

Fee-paying places and FEE-HELP

Commonweath supported places are limited and are not necessarily offered in every program. Students who do not apply for and/or are not offered a Commonwealth Supported Place will be fee-paying students.

FEE-HELP is an interest-free loan facility for eligible students who are enrolled in fee-paying, postgraduate non-research courses.

FEE-HELP enables students to obtain a loan from the Commonwealth Government to pay all or part of their tuition fees.

Eligible students repay their loan through the taxation system once their income reaches the minimum threshold for compulsory repayment.

More FEE-HELP information

Commonwealth income support

The postgraduate science courses approved for Commonwealth income support are:

Master of Medical Physics
Master of Nutrition and Dietetics

If you are a student of one of these courses, you may be eligible for income support. Please consult Centrelink for further information about your eligibility and how to apply.

Refunds for Coursework Programs

Research Course Fees

The Research Training Scheme (RTS) covers tuition fees for domestic research students:

Doctor of Philosophy: 8 full-time or 16 part-time semesters
Master of Science by research: 4 full-time or 8 part-time semesters

In effect, this means that if domestic students complete their research degrees within the specified periods, they are not required to pay tuition fees.

Domestic students need not apply for an RTS fee exemption as they are awarded automatically.

If students take longer than the specified period to complete their degree, they may be liable to pay tuition fees. For more advice please contact the HECS and Domestic Fees Office in the Student Centre by or phone: +61 2 9351 5062.

More RTS information

Scholarships for Research Students

Current funding opportunities are available at the University of Sydney Research Office website.

Types of Research Scholarships for Faculty of Science students:

  • Australian Postgraduate Award (APA)
  • University Postgraduate Award (UPA)
  • The Vice-Chancellor’s Research Scholarships (VCRS)
  • National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) Scholarships

Only one application through the Research Office is necessary to be considered for all of the above. Application forms are available from the Research Office from 31 August.

Students wishing to apply for a scholarship must submit two separate applications: one for a Scholarship to the Research Office, and one for their place in a degree to the Faculty of Science Office.

Please note that deadlines for these applications often differ.

Australian Postgraduate Award (APA)

Awards are funded by the Department of Education, Science and Training (DEST) and are tenable at an Australian tertiary institution for doctoral and masters research degrees.

The benefits include:

  • A tax-exempt stipend valued at $19,231 per annum (2006 rate)
  • Relocation allowance
  • Thesis allowance

Competition for the APA is extremely high and successful applicants must have a first class Honours degree or equivalent.

More APA Information

A limited number of APA/UPAs are also available for Semester 2 commencement. Visit the Research Office website in mid-May for more information.

University of Sydney Postgraduate Award (UPA)

This award is funded by The University of Sydney and is not transferable to other institutions.

The University of Sydney Postgraduate Award has conditions and allowances similar to the APA.

Applicants for an APA will be automatically considered for a UPA.

More UPA Information

The University of Sydney Postgraduate Research Support Scheme (PRSS)

Grants from $200 to $1,200 for:

  • Conference expenses
  • Expenses in connection with the use of, or visits to, specialist facilities directly related to the student's research.
  • Expenses in connection with learning specialist techniques directly related to the student's research.
  • Purchase of specialist books and periodicals directly related to the student's research.
  • Purchase of software or minor computer equipment that is essential to the student's research but is not normally available in the Department/School.

See the PRSS information page or contact your school or discipline.

Am I a domestic student?

You are a domestic student if you are:

  • An Australian citizen (including dual citizens)
  • A New Zealand citizen (including dual citizens)
  • An Australian permanent resident

You are an international fee-paying student if you hold a permit for temporary entry to Australia. View fees for international research students.

For example, if your status is: overseas student; permanent resident of New Zealand; diplomat; temporary resident who holds a permit for work purposes; refugee; or a dependent of any of the above, then you are an international fee-paying student.

For more information visit the International Student Office website.