Current Postgraduate Students - Frequently Asked Questions
- I've received an offer but my circumstances have changed and I want to defer my entry.
- How do I change my enrolment?
- When am I able to change my units of study?
- I would like to enrol in a unit of study but don't have the pre-requisite/won't be enrolling in the co-requisite, what do I do?
- I can't find any information on Postgraduate Neuroscience
- I would like to transfer to the university of sydney and apply for credit for studies that I have already completed.
- Where do I find information on semester dates?
- How do I find contact details for a member of staff?
- I can't find any information about Distance Learning or Correspondence courses.
- I have just submitted the final copy of my PhD thesis. When can I use the title 'Dr'?
- What is a Research Period?
You must notify the Admissions Team in writing if you wish to defer your offer. If you do not notify the Admissions Team of your intended deferral, your offer will lapse automatically and you will need to go through the application process again at a later date.
When you write to the Admissions Team, please indicate all the details (including your SID, name, degree, supporting reasons, how long you intend to defer and when you are coming back) in your correspondence.
PLEASE NOTE: Deferral is only available for those students who have not commenced their degree yet, and would like to defer their commencement. If you have enrolled in your degree, you will need to apply for a Suspension. If you have already enrolled, you may also want to contact the Student Centre regarding the timeframe for refund of fees.
Students who wish to change their enrolment can lodge variation requests through the Sydney Student portal viaMy Uni.
PLEASE NOTE: Special Permission from the department is required if you do not meet the pre-requisite for a particular Unit of Study, or if it is a Unit of Study not associated with your degree.
There are various penalties associated with discontinuing from a Unit of Study after a certain date. You should be aware that the deadlines for changing units of study (varying enrolment) apply to students who are considered local (ie. permanent residents of Australia). View the deadlines for changing units of study.
Within your Sydney Student portal via My Uni you can:
- add or change units of study;
- change from full time to part time or vice versa;
- suspend your candidature;
- return from suspension; or
- request a degree transfer.
4. I would like to enrol in a Unit of Study but don't have the pre-requisite/won't be enrolling in the co-requisite, what do I do?
You will need to obtain Special Permission. This is selected in your Sydney Student portal via MyUni when you enrol in a subject for which you don't have the prerequisite.
This program is not being offered at present.
6. I would like to transfer to the University of Sydney and apply for credit for studies that I have already completed.
The Faculty of Science cannot supply answers to eligibility of credit by email. In order to be professionally assessed, students are advised to submit a credit application form with supporting documents after they have been given an offer at the University of Sydney. Potential credit applications are not accepted. However a student may wish to contact the School directly regarding potential credit before they apply.
There is an online phonebook where you can search by name or department.
The Faculty of Science does not offer programs through distance education. Our degrees require the completion of a substantial number of on-campus tutorials, practicals and laboratory classes. To provide the best possible learning experience, our courses offer a high degree of practical experience, which cannot be fulfilled through on-line or distance teaching.
You can use the title 'Dr' once your degree has been conferred and not beforehand. Conferral of a degree occurs at a graduation ceremony.
What is a Research Period?
The duration of your higher degree by research candidature (research doctoral degree or masters by research) is measured in Research Periods. There are four Research Periods each year, approximately equal to half a semester each.
If you wish to vary your candidature (change from full time to part time or vice versa, suspend your candidature or request an extension), you can now request to do that by Research Period. The change will apply for the whole Research Period, and must be requested before the census date for that Research Period. Requests made after the census date will not apply until the following Research Period.
|Start date||Census date||End date|
|Research Period 1||1 January||31 January||28 February|
|Research Period 2||1 March||31 March||30 June|
|Research Period 3||1 July||31 July||30 September|
|Research Period 4||1 October||31 October||31 December|
Your fee liability and consumption of Research Training Scheme entitlement will be calculated by Research Period. Fee paying students will still be invoiced twice per year (for two Research Periods at a time).