Current Postgraduate Students - Frequently Asked Questions
- I've received an offer but my circumstances have changed and I want to defer my entry.
- How do I change my units of study?
- When am I able to change my units of study?
- I am a PHd (or MSc by research) student and I wish to change from part time to full time or full time to part time study: what must I do?
- I would like to suspend or abandon my postgraduate studies what do I need to do?
- I have suspended my postgraduate studies and would like to come back, what do I need to do?
- I've been sent an email about pre-enrolling, what do I need to do?
- What do I do if I miss pre-enrolment?
- I would like to enrol in a unit of study but don't have the pre-requisite/won't be enrolling in the co-requisite, what do I do?
- I am enrolled in a coursework programme and wish to upgrade, what do I need to do?
- I'm a MSc (by research) student and wish to upgrade, what do I do?
- I would like to transfer to the university of sydney and apply for credit for studies that I have already completed.
- Where do I find information on semester dates?
- I can't find any information about distance learning
- How do I find contact details for a member of staff?
- I can't find any information about Distance Learning or Correspondence courses.
- I have just submitted the final copy of my PhD thesis. When can I use the title 'Dr'?
You must notify the Faculty in writing that you wish to defer. If you do not apply to defer, your offer will lapse automatically and you will need to go through the application process again at a later date.
To apply for deferral, you will need to write a letter or email to the Postgraduate Section in the Faculty of Science. Please indicate all the details (including your SID, name, degree, supporting reasons, how long you intend to defer and when you are coming back) on the letter.
If you have already enrolled, you may also want to contact the Student Centre regarding the timeframe for refund of fees.
PLEASE NOTE: Deferral is only available for those students who have not commenced their degree yet, and would like to defer their commencement. If you have enrolled in your degree, you will need to apply for a Suspension.
Students who wish to change their enrolment can lodge a "Variation of Enrolment" form at the Faculty Office or on the web through Web Variations in My Uni.
PLEASE NOTE: Special Permission from the department is required if you do not meet the pre-requisite for a particular Unit of Study, or if it is a Unit of Study not associated with your degree.
There are various penalties associated with discontinuing from a Unit of Study after a certain date. You should be aware that the deadlines for changing units of study (varying enrolment) apply to students who are considered local (ie. permanent residents of Australia). View the deadlines for changing units of study.
4. I am a PhD (or MSc by research) student and I wish to change from part time to full time or full time to part time study: what must I do?
Refer to the Postgraduate Forms and Procedures page for information about changing your attendance status and forms to download.
To apply for a Suspension, you will need to complete the application form "Application for Suspension, Absence, Time Away & Complete Away."
This form must be signed by your Supervisor and the Head of School, or by the Postgraduate Coursework Coordinator. Please submit the signed form to the Postgraduate Section, Faculty of Science NO LATER THAN 24th March for Semester One or 24th August for Semester Two.
To apply for further suspension, you will need to complete the application form Application for Recommencement and tick the option "Request for Further Suspension".
Please note that a second Suspension may not necessarily be granted.
This form must be signed by your Head of School, or by the Postgraduate Coursework Coordinator.
Refer to the Postgraduate Forms and Procedures page for more information and forms to download.
You will need to submit a Recommencement form to the Faculty office before coming in to re-enrol.
Refer to the Postgraduate Forms and Procedures page for more information and the Recommencement form.
After your first year of study you don't need to enrol in person, you can complete a process called pre-enrolment on MyUni.
There will be two deadlines – one for pre-enrolling on paper and one for pre-enrolling via MyUni and these will both be in the email sent to you by the Student Centre.
Pre-enrolling via MyUni is faster and more convenient however this will not be possible in some courses, usually the DCP/MSc, and Environmental Science / Coastal Management programs.
You can see more information about enrolling, re-enrolling and pre-enrolling here.
If you wish to enrol in a Unit of Study that you do not have the pre-requisite for or that you won't be doing the co-requisite with, please refer to the information below regarding Special Permission. To pre-enrol successfully under these circumstances you need to submit the Special Permission form together with a paper enrolment form to the Faculty Office by the paper enrolment deadline.
Most students who encounter difficulties pre-enrolling on MyUni will find that this is due to pre-requisite failures.
PLEASE NOTE: if you are NOT ENROLLED in the current Semester, then you will NOT receive the Student Centre's email advice regarding pre-enrolment for the following Semester. In these circumstances, you must complete the Recommencement form, which will generate Enrolment papers for you for the following Semester, and you will be required to attend the Faculty Office during the following Semester's Enrolment session to complete your re-enrolment in person.
You need to come in during the re-enrolment week to re-enrol in person.
Enrolling, re-enrolling and pre-enrolling information.
9. I would like to enrol in a Unit of Study but don't have the pre-requisite/won't be enrolling in the co-requisite, what do I do?
You will need to download a Special Permission form and get your course co-ordinator to sign it, and either bring it to the Faculty in person together with a paper pre-enrolment form - if this is prior to the Pre-enrolment deadline - or bring it in on your allocated re-enrolment day.
Alternatively you will need to bring this to the Faculty window prior to the last day to add a Unit of Study for that Semester.
For all coursework upgrades, students will need to complete the general local coursework application form and write “UPGRADE” across the top of the application. This form can be found on the Student Centre website.
If your application is approved, you will need to come in person to enrol in February for Semester 1 and July for Semester 2.
There is a separate form for research upgrades.
This program is not being offered at present.
13. I would like to transfer to the University of Sydney and apply for credit for studies that I have already completed.
The Faculty of Science cannot supply answers to eligibility of credit by email. In order to be professionally assessed, students are advised to submit a credit application form with supporting documents after they have been given an offer at the University of Sydney. Potential credit applications are not accepted. However a student may wish to contact the School directly regarding potential credit before they apply.
There is an online phonebook where you can search by name or department.
The Faculty of Science does not offer programs through distance education. Our degrees require the completion of a substantial number of on-campus tutorials, practicals and laboratory classes. To provide the best possible learning experience, our courses offer a high degree of practical experience, which cannot be fulfilled through on-line or distance teaching.
You can use the title 'Dr' once your degree has been conferred and not beforehand. Conferral of a degree occurs at a graduation ceremony.