Most of the students who study at Sydney University are Commonwealth supported. These students have most of the cost of their education paid by the government but must also contribute towards this cost themselves. Some courses are more expensive to teach than others, so the amount students contribute depends on the courses and subjects students choose to study.

Commonwealth supported students who are Australian citizens or holders of a Permanent Humanitarian Visa can choose to pay their contributions upfront or to obtain a HECS-HELP loan from the Commonwealth. A HECS-HELP loan is repaid through the tax system once the student is working and their income reaches a threshold (currently $41,595). Students who choose to pay their student contribution upfront receive a 20 per cent discount. The student’s contribution is calculated twice a year (before each semester).

To view the course fees for particular course, go to our Courses page and click on a course name.

Visit the main Sydney University website to learn more about Commonwealth supported places and places for International students.

NEW: Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSA fee)

From 2012, a new compulsory Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSA fee) will be collected by the University to support the provision of non-academic student services and amenities across all campuses, and will be distributed to support priority areas such as

  • orientation
  • advocacy and information
  • health, welfare and career
  • clubs and societies and other student led activities
  • facilities

For more information about the new fee and fee charges, visit the University's Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSA fee) information page.

Full-fee paying to Commonwealth Supported

Currently enrolled undergraduate students in full fee-paying places who wish to apply for commonwealth supported places must apply through UAC for these places. More information about eligibility is available at