Financial information for domestic postgraduate students

This page has comprehensive information about fees, loans and scholarships for:

Domestic postgraduate coursework
Domestic postgraduate research

International student fees can be viewed here.

To enquire about the information on this page, please contact

Coursework fees

Most postgraduate coursework programs are fee-paying. View coursework fees.

Fees are payable before each semester and relate to the cost of the units of study in that semester.

Fees are currently an allowable tax deduction in some circumstances. Check with the Australian Taxation Office for more details.

Some employers have schemes for assisting with fees.

There are two types of place for a domestic postgraduate coursework student and each type has its own associated loan system to help with costs:

Commonwealth Supported Places (CSP) and HECS-HELP

Subject to quota availability, in Semester 1, 2016, a limited number of Commonwealth Supported Places (CSP) were offered in:

At this stage, there are no further available CSP for commencement in Semester 2, 2016.

There is no formal application process. Eligible applicants who submitted their complete application by the Faculty’s on time closing date may be awarded a CSP based on academic merit. Successful applicants will be notified by the Faculty via email. Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents or New Zealand citizens are eligible to be considered for a CSP. No deferral of the CSP will be permitted.

HECS-HELP loans are available to eligible students enrolled in Commonwealth Supported Places. A HECS-HELP loan will cover all or part of the student contribution amount. Find more HECS-HELP information at Australian Government's Study Assist website.

Students who are not in receipt of a Commonwealth Supported Place will need to read the FEE-HELP information below.

Fee-paying places and FEE-HELP

Commonwealth supported places are limited and are not necessarily offered in every program. Students who are not offered a Commonwealth Supported Place will be fee-paying students.

FEE-HELP is an interest-free loan facility for eligible students who are enrolled in fee-paying, postgraduate non-research courses.

FEE-HELP enables students to obtain a loan from the Commonwealth Government to pay all or part of their tuition fees.

Eligible students repay their loan through the taxation system once their income reaches the minimum threshold for compulsory repayment.

More FEE-HELP information

Commonwealth income support

The postgraduate science courses approved for Commonwealth income support are:

Master of Clinical Psychology
Master of Medical Physics
Master of Nutrition and Dietetics

If you are a student of one of these courses, you may be eligible for income support. Please consult Centrelink for further information about your eligibility and how to apply.

Refunds for Coursework Programs

Research Course Fees

The Research Training Scheme (RTS) covers tuition fees for domestic research students:

Doctor of Philosophy: 8 full-time or 16 part-time semesters
Master of Science by research: 4 full-time or 8 part-time semesters

In effect, this means that if domestic students complete their research degrees within the specified periods, they are not required to pay tuition fees.

Domestic students need not apply for an RTS fee exemption as they are awarded automatically.

If students take longer than the specified period to complete their degree, they may be liable to pay tuition fees. For more advice please contact the HECS and Domestic Fees Office in the Student Centre by or phone: +61 2 9351 5062.

More RTS information

Am I a domestic student?

You are a domestic student if you are:

  • An Australian citizen (including dual citizens)
  • A New Zealand citizen (including dual citizens)
  • An Australian permanent resident

You are an international fee-paying student if you hold a permit for temporary entry to Australia. View fees for international research students.

For example, if your status is: overseas student; permanent resident of New Zealand; diplomat; temporary resident who holds a permit for work purposes; refugee; or a dependent of any of the above, then you are an international fee-paying student.

For more information visit the International Student Office website.