The Dean's International Postgraduate Research Scholarships for the Faculty of Science
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW OPEN (the application closing date has been extended until 30 November 2014)
The Faculty of Science offers a limited number of full-time postgraduate research scholarships to outstanding international students wishing to undertake a research doctorate degree (PhD) in the Faculty of Science. Applications are sought from top-performing students currently enrolled in the final year of either a four-year Bachelors degree in Science or a four-year Bachelors/Honours/Masters degree in Science, at an international university. The final year of the degree must include an independent research component which accounts for a minimum of 25% of the final year marks awarded. The award of the scholarship is competitive on the basis of academic merit.
The scholarship consists of the full cost of academic tuition fees plus a stipend equivalent to an Australian Postgraduate Award indexed annually (APA stipend rates for 2014 are $25,392 for full-time students), and is awarded for three years, subject to satisfactory progress, with a possible extension of up to a maximum of one year.
To be considered for the 2015 semester two (commencing late July 2015) Dean’s International Postgraduate Research Scholarship, applicants must satisfy eligibility criteria. Applications for admission to the PhD program in the Faculty of Science and submission of the online scholarship form must be completed by 30 November 2014.
There are a limited number of Dean’s International Postgraduate Research Scholarships, and applicants should be aware that they are awarded on an academic merit-based, competitive basis.
- Be currently enrolled in the final year of either a four-year Bachelors degree in Science or a four-year Bachelors/Honours/Masters degree in Science, at an international university (a non-Australian university). The final year of the degree must include a research component which accounts for a minimum of 25% of the marks awarded.;
- Have achieved a GPA greater than 85 or an average A grade, or have a relevant subject specific GPA of 90, or equivalent;
- May not be an Australian or New Zealand citizen or hold permanent residency in Australia;
- Be commencing full time postgraduate study at the University for the first time;
- Not be in receipt of any other tuition fee scholarship;
- Successfully complete their 4th year of their current Bachelors Degree in Science meeting the academic requirements of the scholarship and complete in time to commence studies at the University of Sydney in semester two, 2015.
Selection for a Dean’s International Postgraduate Research Scholarship is a merit-based and highly competitive process. Candidates will be selected in accordance with the following criteria:
- Demonstrated academic excellence through current studies; and
- Demonstrated high quality, innovative research capacity.
Applications will be reviewed and final selections decided by a committee comprising senior University of Sydney academic staff, and may include international representatives. The final selection of Dean’s International Postgraduate Research Scholarship candidates will be completed in November. Offer letters will be issued to successful applications shortly thereafter.
|March - October 2014||Submit your application for PhD and complete the online scholarship form|
|31 October 2014||Applications close for the Dean's International Postgraduate Research Scholarship|
|December 2014||Successful scholarship applicants notified|
|27 July 2015||Semester two, 2015 commences|
Frequently asked questions – The Dean's International Postgraduate Research Scholarship
I have graduated and am currently working, can I apply?
No. Applicants must be still enrolled and completing the final year of an eligible degree, please see Eligibility Criteria for more details.
I have completed and graduated from a 3 year Bachelors of Science degree and am now studying a separate Masters degree, am I eligible?
No. These scholarships are awarded to international students currently enrolled and completing a four-year Bachelors degree in Science or a four-year Bachelors/Honours/Masters degree in Science. You may wish to review the other scholarship opportunities available for international students.
What is considered equivalent of an Australian Bachelor of Science Honours 1 degree?
Please refer to Section 5.2 of the APA guidelines.
I am studying a Bachelor of Engineering, can I apply?
These scholarships are awarded to international students currently enrolled in the final year of either a four-year Bachelors degree in Science or a four-year Bachelors/Honours/Masters degree in Science You may wish to review the other scholarship opportunities available for international students.
Where can I find other scholarship information?
If you do not fit into the eligibility criteria, please note that there are other research scholarships for international students which you can review and check the criteria, as well as search for scholarships by your country of residence.