How to apply for a research program (Domestic students)
The information on this page is for domestic students applying for a postgraduate research program.
Information for international students.
1) Find a supervisor
Before your application for admission to a research degree can proceed, you must have a potential supervisor arranged. If you have not done this, read about your pathway to research and find a supervisor before continuing.
2) Write a Statement of Research Interest
A statement of research interest (2-4 pages) should be developed in conjunction with your potential supervisor and includes:
- name of your potential supervisor
- area of proposed research
- prior research experience
- key literature references
- a possible methodology or approach to the research
- value and potential outcomes if the research is successful
3) Complete and submit an online application form
- PhD: Online application form and information
- Master of Science: Online application form and information
You will need to attach supporting documentation to your online application, consisting of:
- All the essential documentation for applicants as listed in the application checklist for domestic students and
- All the additional documentation for research applicants as listed in the application checklist for domestic students.
You will need to scan, upload and attach your supporting documentation to your online application. You will be able to save your application and finish completing it at a later date.
Closing dates for domestic applications for research programs can be found on the Science Dates and Deadlines page.
If the results of your first degree will not be known by the closing date this should not stop you from submitting an application provided that you forward your results as soon as they are known.
Applications for Semester one 2014 closed on 31 October 2013. Applications for Semester two 2014 will open in mid May 2014. Further details on scholarships.
Result of application
The result of your application will be a formal response sent by the Faculty Office. This offer of admission should be checked carefully and any questions about the terms of the offer should be referred to the Faculty Office or the appropriate School as necessary.
If your application is successful then you will need to enrol in your new degree - your acceptance letter will have some information about this and you can read more about Enrolment, Re-Enrolment and Pre-Enrolment on this site.
If you cannot accept an offer
If, for any reason, you are unable to take up an offer of admission, please notify the Faculty of Science immediately. You may also like to notify your potential supervisor personally.
Unsuccessful applications and applications where an offer has been declined are not retained so a new application will be required if you re-apply in a later semester.
Honours in the Faculty of Science
An Honours year is a continuation of undergraduate study and is not postgraduate study.
Information about Honours in Science.