Postgraduate Study

Postgraduate study can be separated into coursework programs and research programs.


Coursework degree programs consist of individual units of study and usually require attendance at lectures and tutorials. Some programs also have a project or research component at the Master’s level.

Graduate certificates, graduate diplomas and master's degrees can all potentially be obtained through coursework programs. View a full list of the coursework programs offered in the Faculty of Science.

Click on the course name to find out the duration, admission requirements and application information for each course.

In some cases, the graduate certificate, graduate diploma and master’s courses are articulated, which means that they share coursework units of study. This allows students to transfer from one course to another and obtain credit for coursework already completed. As an example, the Graduate Certificate in Sustainability, Graduate Diploma in Sustainability and Master of Sustainability are articulated courses.

Application information for coursework students.


In postgraduate research programs, students undertake supervised research, the major component of which is a research project leading to the production of a thesis. The Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), Master of Philsophy (Science) (MPhil Science) and Graduate Diploma in Science (GradDipSc) are all research courses.

Research information and areas of study

The research masters and doctoral degrees have two intents. One is to prepare a substantial piece of work, which represents a significant contribution to the particular field of study, while the other is to train candidates in the general area of research methodology, equipping them with skills which will serve them in any area of research.

Research experience is mandatory for entry into research degrees such as the Doctor of Philosophy or Master of Science, normally via the completion of an Honours research year which has included a written thesis. Is you have not competed an Honours research year, we recommend the Graduate Diploma in Science which is an Honours-equivalent year.

Applying for a research degree program is a different process to applying for a coursework degree program, as it is essential that potential students contact a supervisor first. Potential supervisors and projects are searchable at Research Supervisor Connect.

Application information for research students.