Cross-institutional Study - Inbound

Students from other Australian universities wishing to undertake study at the University of Sydney

Information on this page is for students enrolled in other tertiary institutions in Australia and looking to undertake cross-institutional study at the University of Sydney. (If you are currently a University of Sydney student and wish to take units at another institution, please visit Cross-institutional study - Outbound.)

Students from other Australian tertiary institutions may be permitted to undertake cross-institutional studies. Use the Faculty of Science Handbook or the Departmental/School websites to identify units of study that you would like to do at the University of Sydney. You need to be able to meet the same criteria/prerequisites as students enrolled at the University of Sydney (or have done equivalent units of study at your home institution) to be able to enrol in a particular unit of study.

Detailed information about cross-institutional study should be read before completing an inbound cross-institutional study application.

How to apply

The following items need to be attached to your online application:

  • A completed Home Institution Commonwealth Support Status Declaration showing your status as a Commonwealth-supported or fee-paying student.
  • An official academic transcript from your home institution.
  • A passport or birth certificate (or a certified copy of these documents) showing Australian citizenship/permanent residency or citizenship of New Zealand.
  • (If applicable) Evidence of pre-2005 HECS status (eg. last confirmation of enrolment).

Please note that incomplete applications will not be processed.

Cross-institutional students are required to make their HECS-HELP or fees payment to the University of Sydney. If you are accepted for cross-institutional study, your offer letter will contain information on HECS-HELP/fees payment as well as enrolment instructions.

Overseas students studying at Australian institutions who wish to undertake cross-institutional study need to check their visa conditions first, then contact the Faculty of Science Office for further information.

Application deadlines

View application deadlines for cross-institutional study.

Related information