How to apply for Undergraduate Study in the Faculty of Science (Domestic students)

Year 12 Application

If you're a domestic Year 12 student, you'll need to apply through the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC). Your application will usually be considered on the basis of your Australian Tertiary Admissions Rank (ATAR) or the equivalent interstate result and where relevant, additional selection criteria.

Additional criteria which apply in the Faculty of Science:

  • Applicants for the Bachelor of Science (Advanced)/Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery or the Bachelor of Medical Science/Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery are short-listed on the basis of their ATAR or equivalent results. Shortlisted applicants will be invited to attend an interview.

Visit our HSC Help Site for helpful information for year 12 students.

E12: Early offer year 12

Through the E12 early offer scheme you could have an early conditional offer to study at the University of Sydney before you've even started your HSC exams. If successful, you will have a place reserved just for you, as long as you meet the E12 ATAR cut-offs (which are lower than standard ATARs) and the HSC subject bands for your preferred course.

For more information about the E12 scheme and how to apply, visit the E12 website.

Non-Year 12 applicants

Non-year 12 applicants need to apply through the UAC website by completing the online application form. Read the FAQ for non-year 12 applicants on the UAC website.

You can also read information for non-year 12 applicants.

Special admission

Special entry schemes are available if you are an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander student, if you have experienced educational disadvantage or if you are of mature age.

For more information contact the Special Admissions Office on +61 2 8627 8207.

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students should contact the Koori Centre on +61 2 9351 2046. You might also like to visit the Future Indigenous Students website.

Flexible Entry

Flexible Entry allows you to seek entry to certain courses at the University and be offered a place in your chosen course on the basis of your ATAR in combination with other specified selection criteria. Flexible entry is available to you if you are a recent school leaver.

Flexible Entry is relevant to you if your ATAR falls short of the ATAR cut-off for your chosen course but you must be able to show that you are suited to the course on the basis of other criteria. In the case of Science, this could mean excellent performance in your HSC Science and Mathematics subjects. You don't need to apply for Flexible Entry as all eligible students are considered automatically.

For more information visit the Faculty's Flexible Entry website.

Mature-Age Entry

If you

  • are at least 21 years of age on 1 March,
  • do not have an ATAR or equivalent and/or
  • have not completed one full-time year (or part-time equivalent) of tertiary study,

you may be able to complete an approved preparation course and apply to study at the University.

Preparation courses which are acceptable for most courses in the Faculty of Science are:

  • UPC (Mathematics and Science)
  • Limited HSC (English, Mathematics, Chemistry plus either Biology or Physics)
  • TPC (English, Mathematics, Chemistry plus either Biology or Physics)

Science/Arts has slightly different requirements.

More information on these courses is available on the Admissions Office website.

Direct Mature-Age Entry is not available in the following degrees:

  • Bachelor of Psychology
  • Bachelor of Science (Advanced)
  • Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics)
  • Combined Science-Medicine

Mature-age applicants need only to apply through the Universities Admissions Centre to be considered. No other application is required unless specified under additional selection criteria in the UAC Guide entry.

Visit the Admissions Office Mature-Age Entry Scheme Information webpage for more information and read about the experience of one of our mature age students.

Mid-year entry

For some degrees, you may be able to start studying in the middle of the year rather than at the beginning of the year. The availability of mid-year places in Science degrees can depend on whether there are any vacancies in particular degrees, and this is established in early April.

Domestic students can apply for mid-year admission through the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC). UAC posts information about mid-year admission on its website from April onwards.

If you are a prospective international student, you can enquire about mid-year admission at the International Student Office.

Please note that not all degrees offer mid-year entry. It is best to check with UAC to find out if mid-year entry is being offered for a particular degree.

NB: Mid-year places may not be available for international students.

Transferring to the Faculty of Science

If you would like to transfer to a Faculty of Science degree from another degree or another university, read the information on the Transferring to the Faculty of Science webpage.

Examples of the qualifications accepted by the University

  • Australian Year 12 qualifications such as the NSW HSC (with a UAI/ATAR) and equivalent interstate qualifications (eg. VCE , SA Matriculation)
  • One or more full-time years of study in a degree course from an Australian university
  • A completed AQF diploma or higher level award course from TAFE or certain private providers
  • A recognised preparatory course
  • Certain overseas senior secondary qualifications such as the International Baccalaureate (IB), GCE A Levels, New Zealand National Certificate of Education, French Baccalaureat, etc.
  • One or more full-time years of study in a degree course from certain universities overseas

The University does not admit students solely on the basis of professional qualifications, life experience, results in certificate courses or performance in admission tests such as the Special Tertiary Admissions Test (STAT), or on the basis of any combination of these qualifications.

Non-degree study and cross-institutional study

Distance Learning

The Faculty of Science does not offer any of its programs through distance education. Our degrees require the completion of a substantial number of on-campus tutorials, practicals and laboratory classes. To provide the best possible learning experience, we offer a high degree of practical experience, which cannot be fulfilled through online, correspondence or distance teaching.

Applying for Honours

Read about Honours in Science and how to apply.