Madsen Building, Room 414
Prof Dietmar Müller
Dr Christian Heine
PhD title: Linking deep Earth structure and surface topography through geodynamic models
My project is involved with combining mantle convection models with plate tectonic reconstructions to investigate time-dependent changes in mantle structure and the effect on surface processes. I focus both on global scales, for example testing absolute plate motion models and the influence on lower mantle structure, as well as regional scales, including refining tectonic models of the Arctic and investigating signals of dynamic topography across South America. For my project, within the framework of an ARC Linkage proposal, I utilise software including GPlates, CitcomS, TERRA and GMT, and collaborations include the Geodynamics Group at the University of Munich and Caltech as well as our industry partners Total and Shell.
- Shephard, G.E., Müller, R.D., and Seton, M. 2013. The tectonic evolution of the Arctic since Pangea breakup: Integrating constraints from surface geology and geophysics with mantle structure. Earth-Science Reviews 124 p.148-183.
- Shephard, G.E., Liu, L., Müller, R.D., and Gurnis, M. 2012. Dynamic topography and anomalously negative residual depth of the Argentine Basin, Gondwana Research Letters 22 (2) p. 658-663 doi:10.1016/j.gr.2011.12.005
- Shephard, G. E., Bunge, H-P., Schuberth, B.S.A., Müller, R.D., Talsma, A.S., Moder, C., and Landgrebe. T. 2012. Testing absolute plate reference frames and the implications for the generation of geodynamic mantle heterogeneity structure. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 317-318 p. 204-217 doi:10.1016/j.epsl.2011.11.027
- Seton, M., Müller, R.D., Zahirovic, S., Gaina, C., Torsvik, T., Shephard, G., Talsma, A., Gurnis, M., and Turner, M. 2012. Global continental and ocean basin reconstructions since 200 Ma, Earth Science Reviews 113 (3-4) p.212-270 doi:10.1016/j.earscirev.2012.03.002
- Shephard, G.E., Müller, R.D., Liu, L. and Gurnis, M. 2010. Miocene drainage reversal of the Amazon River driven by plate-mantle interaction, Nature Geoscience 3 p. 870-875 doi:10.1038/ngeo1017.
- Dussutour A., Nicolis S.C., Shephard G., Beekman M. and Sumpter D. J. T. 2009. The role of multiple pheromones in food recruitment in ants. The Journal of Experimental Biology 212, 2337-48