Professor John Connell
Professor John Connell, BA, PhD, FASSA
Madsen Building (F09), Rm 476
Phone: +61 2 9351 2327
Fax: +61 2 9351 3644
John Connell's principal research interests are concerned with political, economic and social development in less developed countries, especially in the South Pacific region and in other small island states. Much of this research is currently oriented to issues of rural development, migration and inequality. A second research theme is on decolonisation and nationalism. More recently he has worked on the cultural geography of music and food. He is presently working on the impact of tourism and festivals on rural and regional development, the global migration of skilled health workers and the globalisation of football. He has written books on migration and development issues, especially concerning Papua New Guinea and New Caledonia and urbanisation in the Third World.
He has been a consultant to both the Department of Primary Industry and the Department of Mines and Energy in Papua New Guinea, and worked with the South Pacific Commission, the World Health Organisation and the International Labour Organisation on long-term projects on migration and employment in the South Pacific region.
- Connell, J 2013. Islands at Risk? Economies and Environments in Change, Edward Elgar, Cheltenham, 2013.
- Connell, J 2013. Ants, Snakes and Taro Blight: Contemporary Invasions of the Pacific Islands, in V. Fayaud, ed, Biodiversity and Society in the Pacific Islands, Aix-en-Provence: Presses Universitaires de Provence, pp. 51-70.
- Connell, J 2013. Contemporary Medical Tourism: Conceptualisation, Culture and Commodification, Tourism Management, 34, 1-13.
- Connell, J and Gibson, C 2012. Music Festivals and Regional Development in Australia, Ashgate, Aldershot.
- Connell, J 2012. Population Resettlement in the Pacific: Lessons from a Hazardous History?, Australian Geographer, 43, 127-142.
- Connell, J 2011 Rural Revival? Place Marketing, Tree Change and Regional Migration in Australia (with P. McManus), Ashgate, Farnham.
- Connell, J 2011 Medical Tourism, CABI, Wallingford.
- Connell, J. 2010, Migration and the Globalisation of Health Care, Edward Elgar, Cheltenham.
- Connell, J. and Hammond, J. 2009, The New Blackbirds? Vanuatu Guestworkers in New Zealand, New Zealand Geographer, 65, 201-210.
- Connell, J. 2009, The Global Health Care Chain: From the Pacific to the World, Routledge, New York and London.
- Connell, J. 2008, Niue: Embracing a Culture of Migration, Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies, 34 (6), August 2008, 1021-1040.
- Connell, J and Robinson, P. 2008, 'Everything is Truthful Here'. Custom Village Tourism in Tanna, Vanuatu, in J. Connell and B. Rugendyke, eds, Tourism at the Grassroots, Routledge, London, 77-97.
- Connell, J. 2008, Tummy Tucks and the Taj Mahal? Medical Tourism and the Globalisation of Health Care, in D. Martin and A. Woodside, Advancing Tourism Management, CABI, Wallingford, 232-244.
- Connell, J. 2007, Islands, Idylls and the Detours of Development, Singapore Journal of Tropical Geography, 28, 116-135.
- Connell, J. 2007, Towards Free Trade in the Pacific? The Genesis of the Kava-Biscuit War Between Fiji and Vanuatu, Geographical Research, 45, 1-12.
- Connell, J. 2007, The Fiji Times and the Good Citizen. Constructing Modernity and Nationhood in Fiji, The Contemporary Pacific, 19, 85-109.
- Connell, J. 2006, Holding on to Modernity? Siwai, Bougainville, Papua New Guinea, in J. Connell and E. Waddell, eds, Environment, Development and Change in the Asia-Pacific. Between Local and Global, Routledge, London, 127-146.
- Connell, J. 2006, "The Taste of Paradise". Selling Fiji and FIJI Water, Asia-Pacific Viewpoint, 47, 342-350.
- Connell, J. 2006, Hillsong: A Megachurch in the Sydney Suburbs, Australian Geographer, 36 , 315-332.
- Connell, J., and Gibson, C., 2005, Music and Tourism: On The Road Again, Channel View Press, Clevedon.
- Connell, J., and Gibson, C., 2004, World Music: Deterritorialising Place and Identity, Progress in Human Geography, 28, 342-361.
- Connell, J., 2003, Losing Ground? Tuvalu, the Greenhouse Effect and the Garbage Can, Asia-Pacific View Point, 44, 89-107.
- Connell, J. and Gibson, C., 2003, Sound Tracks: Popular Music, Identity and Place, Routledge, London
- Connell, J. and Lea, J., 2002, Urbanisation in the South Pacfic: towards sustainable development, Routledge, London
- Connell, J., 2000, Sydney. The emergence of a World City, Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- Aldrich, R. and Connell, J., 1998, The Last Colonies, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- Connell, J., 1997, Papua New Guinea: the struggle for development, Routledge, London.