Associate Professor Peter Cowell, BA, PhD
Madsen Building (F09), Rm 417
Phone: +61 2 9351 2189
Fax: +61 2 9351 2442
Web: Personal pages
Research interests are in the geomorphology of coasts and continental shelves; or more specifically, the nature of change in coastal landforms and the processes responsible for such change (known formally as the field of coastal morphodynamics). The research involves the combined use of field data and computer modeling to yield information that is otherwise unattainable, with the application of formal methods for managing uncertainty. This approach is applied to estimation of sediment transport and coastal change relevant to coastal management and coastal impacts of climate change, as well as to geological exploration. Research is being undertaken on four continents in collaboration with other coastal scientists from Australia, Europe and the Americas. This work has focused on clastic coasts (sand and mud deposits), and was expanded recently to include the morphodynamics of coral atolls (in collaboration with other coastal scientists from Australia and New Zealand).
- The Coastal-Tract (Part 1): A conceptual approach to aggregated modelling of low-order coastal change. 2003 (with Marcel J.F. Stive, Alan W. Niedoroda, Huib J. de Vriend, Donald J.P. Swift, George M. Kaminsky, and Michele Capobianco). Journal of Coastal Research, 19, 812-827.
- The Coastal-Tract (Part 2): Applications of aggregated modeling to lower-order coastal change. 2003 (with Marcel J.F. Stive, Alan W. Niedoroda, Don J.P. Swift, Huib J. De Vriend, Maarten C. Buijsman, Robert J. Nicholls, Peter S. Roy, George M. Kaminsky, Jelmer Cleveringa, Chris W. Reed, and Poppe L. de Boer). Journal of Coastal Research, 19, 828-848.
- Simulating coastal systems tracts using the shoreface translation Model. 1999 (with Roy, P.S., Cleveringer, J., and de Boer, P.L.) Society of Economic Palaeontologists and Mineralogists Special Publication 41. 62, 165-175.
- The Morphological Response of Atoll Islands to Sea-Level Rise. Part 1: Modifications to the Shoreline Translation Model. 2001 (with Paul Kench). Journal of Coastal Research, Special Issue 34: 633-644.
- The Morphological Response of Atoll Islands to Sea-Level Rise. Part 2: Application of the Modified Shoreline Translation Model (STM). 2001(with Paul Kench). Journal of Coastal Research, Special Issue 34: 645-656.
- Integrating Uncertainty Theories with GIS for Modeling Coastal Hazard Due to Climate Change. 2003 (with Thomas Q. Zeng). Journal of Marine Geodesy, 26, 5-18.
- Trend-surface technique for discrimination of surfzone morphology: rip channels (with Rob Brander) 2003. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, 28, 905-918.
- Shoreface Sand Supply to Beaches, 2001 (with Stive, M.J.F., Roy, P.S., Kaminsky, G.M., Buijsman, M. C., Thom, B.G., and Wright, L.D). Proc. 27th International Coastal Engineering Conference, 2495-2508.