Dr Simon Williams, PhD
Postdoctoral Fellow, EarthByte Group
Madsen Building (F09), Rm 402
Research and Brief CV
Simon is a postdoctoral research fellow in the EarthByte Group, School of Geosciences. His research focuses on the analysis of gravity and magnetic data, and their role in defining the extent of sedimentary basins and understanding plate tectonics and geodynamics. Simon previously completed a PhD in geophysics at the University of Leeds, UK, and worked for 5 years at Getech specializing in the analysis of gravity and magnetic data.
- Fairhead, J.D., Salem, A., Williams, S.E. and Shore, R.M., 2009. Mapping sediment thickness of Australian intracratonic basins using the Tilt-depth method. Accepted for presentation at the 9th SEGJ International Symposium, Sapporo.
- Fairhead, J.D., Salem, A., and Williams, S.E., 2008. The Tilt-Depth method applied to the sedimentary basins of Africa. AAPG meeting, Cape Town.
- Fairhead, J.D., Williams, S.E., Green, C.M., Fletcher, K.M.U., and Vincent, K., 2008. [i||New satellite gravity solution ‘Trident’]]. Presented at AGU fall meeting, San Francisco.
- Salem, A., Williams, S.E., Fairhead, J.D., Ravat, D. and Blakely, R., 2008. Mapping the structure and depth to basement in the United States using the magnetic Tilt-Depth method. Presented at AGU spring meeting, Fort Lauderdale.
- Salem, A., Smith, R., Williams, S.E.*, Fairhead, J.D., and Ravat, D., 2007. Generalized magnetic tilt-Euler deconvolution. SEG Annual Meeting, Expanded Abstracts.
- Fairhead, J.D. and Williams, S.E.*, 2006. Evaluating Normalized Magnetic Derivatives for Structural Mapping. SEG Annual Meeting, Expanded Abstracts.
- Salem, A., Williams, S.E., Fairhead, J.D., Smith, R., and Ravat, D., 2008. Interpretation of magnetic data using tilt-angle derivatives. GEOPHYSICS, v73, pL1–L10.
- Salem, A., Williams, S.E., Fairhead, J.D., Ravat, D. and Smith, R., 2007. Tilt-depth method: a simple depth estimation method using first-order magnetic derivatives. The Leading Edge, p1502-5.
- Williams, S. E., J. D. Fairhead, and G. Flanagan, 2005. Comparison of grid Euler Deconvolution with and without 2D constraints using a realistic 3D magnetic basement model. GEOPHYSICS, v70, pL13-L21.
- Williams, S. E., J. D. Fairhead, and G. Flanagan, 2003. Grid-based Euler deconvolution: Completing the circle with ‘2D constrained Euler’. SEG Annual Meeting, Expanded Abstracts.
- Williams, S. E.*, J. D. Fairhead, and G. Flanagan, 2002. Realistic models of basement topography for depth to magnetic basement testing. SEG Annual Meeting, Expanded Abstracts.