2017 Summer Research Scholarships
- Applications open: 28th June 2016
- Applications close: 26 August 2016
- Offers made: 23rd September 2016
- Dean's Accommodation Bursary: Late September
- Deadline to accept offer: 14 October 2016
A summer research scholarship in the Unit for History and Philosophy of Science offers undergraduate students an opportunity to participate in formal supervised research projects over the summer holiday period and develop valuable academic and professional skills. These projects allow students to engage in research whilst completing their undergraduate degrees, enhancing their student experience and providing an insight into potential further research degrees.
The aim is to enable interested students to carry out a short research project in HPS, with successful candidates supervised by an appropriate member of staff within the Unit for History and Philosophy of Science.
The research interests of the unit's members include: history and philosophy of modern physics, early modern science, philosophy of biology, history and philosophy of psychiatry, technoscience, philosophy and psychology of time.
Candidates are advised to consult the Staff Pages for more information www.sydney.edu.au/science/hps.
The program is open to both current University of Sydney students as well as students from other Australian Universities. Applicants must be enrolled on a full time basis and be in the second or third year of their degree program (please see "Conditions of Award" below). A summer scholarship offers:
- An opportunity to undertake a research project over a period of six weeks
- Supervised by well-established members of HPS
- $506.00 per week in accordance with the 2016 APA rate to be paid in two installments: 50% at the start of the project and the remaining 50% after the third week.
- $250 per week accommodation bursary for eligible recipients who live outside the Sydney metropolitan area. this bursary will be paid to eleigible recipients once a fortnight from their start date and will be assessed by the Faculty on a case-by-case basis.
Conditions of Award
The purpose of the Division of Natural Sciences Summer Placement is to provide students with an opportunity to gain access to, and engage with academic staff and research projects over the summer holidays.
The placements will be awarded using the following conditions:
- Applicants will be required to submit an application form.
- Applicants must be enrolled in a full time undergraduate degree and in their second or third year of their degree program.
- Applicants from other universities in Australia and New Zealand currently in 2nd or 3rd year of study are also eligible to apply.
- Applicants must be performing at credit level (AAM 65) or above to be considered for these placements.
- Applicants can only receive one Summer Scholarship per year.
- The placement shall be awarded on the basis of academic merit.
- The placement shall be awarded by the Dean of the relevant Faculty within the Division of Natural Sciences, on the recommendation of the appropriate Head of School.
- If a recipient is enrolled at a university other than the University of Sydney and lives outside of the Sydney Metropolitan Area, they will be offered additional funds of up to $250 per week to cover accommodation/travel expenses.
- Finally, students are to provide a brief summary of their experience to the School issuing their scholarship within one month of completing their project
How Do I Apply?
The application form can be found here.
Please contact , Unit for History and Philosophy of Science for any related inquiries.